Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a 2 day 1600 mile roadtrip from Northern California to Texas. I had changed plugs, oil, tranny fluid, cleaned filters, and had gone over and over details. I felt really confident.

A few days before I left, I found a rock in my front left tire. I thought it was just stuck in the tread...no...it was through to the belts and you could see them. I am a bit of an adventurer so I just through some RTV in the hole to keep the sand out and went for it. I made it fine. It was a small chip of rock, so I wasn't worried about structural integrity. But a sliver in my mind just the same.

The one thing I have been working on that FAILED was this rattle that emanates near where the devil lives. I heard it before and here is what I have done. Can anyone help?

Attempted solutions:
1. Removed cup holder and located a missing spring. did not solve
2. Removed glove box and located a piece of broken plastic from within locking mechanism hollow. Removed bit. did not solve
3. Left all the small pieces off that were required to remove to get to glove box like end of dash plastic (door jamb area). did not solve
4. Had my wife drive on rough section of freeway while I held a tube in my ear like a stethoscope and located the sound at the upper edge of the dash (plastic piece forward of leather) and the bottom of the right corner of the windshield. Heard what sounded like a piece of glass in this space. Celebrated and very proudly declared my victory and superior critical thinking ability. Turned my nose at Porsche and cursed the glass installer. Attempted to make a small nozzle and vacuum out the crevice. did not solve.
5. During vacuuming, found loose nut and missing spring on cowl plastic (right side, under plastic access cover, 10mm with captured washer). I thought for sure I had located the rattle when I saw this bolt was loose. Further declared my superiority, ignoring the fact that I was unable to vacuum anything out of the crevice since I had found a loose nut.
6. Falsely believed I had fixed the rattle until a week later when the sound I was hearing was the same rattle and I was in denial.
7. Disassembled dash again, right underside, did not remove any air conditioning/vent portions. Inspected anything that was close to where I heard it with stethoscope tube. Nothing was obvious. Hoped I would have solved it 'by chance' while removing dash parts. did not solve
8. Removed ALL of cowl and did not locate anything that could rattle in/near the spot on the exterior of the vehicle. Replaced spring clip. Reassembled the night before my trip.

8. Verified rattle is still present via 24+ hours over 2 days of nearly consistent vibration and wickedly amplified with this crap roadway that New Mexio and Texas uses (chip seal) which is very loud and coarse. I nearly went crazy with rage. did not solve

The frustrating and funny thing is how badly I wanted to lean over and mess around with everything to try and locate this rattle. I couldn't. It was comic torture. I listened to music (with no Bluetooth because I am CD24 purist and would never try and improve Porsche's mastery of providing only what I need) to drown out the sound for the trip and now I cannot continue in this misery.

It sounds like plastic or a loose washer. I know there is a low probability we can solve this here, but it makes me feel better to share my misery and frustration. There are a couple other rattles that I need to chase, but they are little ones.

Is there a common rattle under the right dash area? Is there anything under there that is not removable (welded in, or epoxied, one-way plastic locks or something)?

And to add insult to injury, no room at the inn when I decided to stop in Flagstaff, so I had to go to the local sleazy breezy and there was a special woman in a suburban who door ding-ed my fender (only permanently damaged the clear protective film, so in theory this is a victory, but there is a double gash in my film now)

In summary, my road trip was like a kick in the groin, followed by the lingering sting of being pepper sprayed. Car ran great though, 112K and still truckin'. She sang to me at about 85mph for the majority of the trip.

Blue Skies,
pinesap (currently known as rattle tortured)

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I don't know if this will make you feel better or not but no they all don't do that. Maybe it was a 2006 launch feature. ;)

Any stiffly sprung car will develop rattles but can be fixed. It sounds like you've gone through the area around the cabin air filter that would get piped into the car. Don't have other ideas.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same rattle in my 08CS. I'm yet to try and tackle it but I have seen the above Thread before and will probably attempt it soon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Perhaps there IS some value in being hard of hearing ;-)

Sorry but I do not have any hands-on tips for you. Work methodically and without anger if at all possible.

Rink

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Perhaps there IS some value in being hard of hearing ;-)

Sorry but I do not have any hands-on tips for you. Work methodically and without anger if at all possible.

Rink
Or get a Fabspeed race exhaust. Problem solved.:drivingskid:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Or get a Fabspeed race exhaust. Problem solved.:drivingskid:
Haha, I had a fabspeed race exhaust on my 06, and it made a horrendous buzzing around in my dash. I never was able to isolate the problem. I ultimately removed the exhaust when I sold the car and the sound was gone. Oh how I miss that sound so much.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
RT (rattle tortured, get it?)

I just drove straight through from Chicago to Denver in my 90K++ '06 CS with 18" forged wheels with stock sized MPSS tires, Heigo half-cage roll bar, Damptronics, DSC PASM suspension brain-box thing, sway bars, "wimpy" TUV approved cat-back, Softronic Plenum and Flash and GT2 seats.

I also have this dash rattle. Aside from that, the car is fairly noise-free and a pretty great cruiser.

I haven't gone to the same lengths to solve it as you. I have Bose with an iPod connected via Gateway 5000 in the frunk and some pretty great road music, thank heavens. I feel your pain, but sticking with the stock stereo is a questionable policy in my mind. I did the subwoofer stuff treatment to my Bose when I first got it and added the Gateway. For me, the stereo is part and parcel of my enjoyment of this car.

Some observations:

1. Mine almost sounds like something might be flapping in the wind. I don't seem to get the rattle at low speeds and I get it on some fairly smooth roads at speed. It could very well be in the under-cowl, inside-air filter area. Could something be blowing through the cowl and making the rattle? Hmmm.....

2. When it happens, it's pretty noisy, too "right there" to sound like it's coming from outside, it just acts like it might be wind related.

3. I have to crank music to distract myself. So far, that's always worked, but the Little Woman is flying to Denver on Sunday for a week-long Rockies trip in the car (we're going to a motorcycle rally...long story) with me, then flying back home, leaving me alone for the long schlep from Billings, MT. She will not put up with my music very long in the car.

4. Really wish I could solve it today. I have limited tools and the car is in a public parking garage in downtown Denver, hopefully with its forged wheels still attached, so extensive repairs probably won't happen. I believe in trying the simple stuff first. This noise is so noticeable that it has to be something obvious and I still have dreams of uncovering the problem without using any tools.

5. Amazing you've found all those broken bits under the dash and none of them solved it. This is great info for me. I won't tear into that unless I know what I'm looking for.

6. The procedure in the articles section did nothing for me. I removed that little panel next to the glove box and the side piece prior to leaving. The vent tubes were solid, so I left them along. Had a radar detector cord in there uncontrolled next to one of the vent tubes, so I secured that with some velcro. It didn't help.

5. The noise comes and goes. Sometimes, I'll shut off the tunes and "hey, it's fixed!!!" only to have it come back in a minute or two.

6. Yes, it does seem to be coming from that speaker grill on the right side dash near the windshield....but I'm not sure it is. Sounds like this are really hard to pinpoint. Your stethoscope idea is a good one.

7. My GT2 seats will make noises that seem to be coming from that area sometimes, but usually, if no one is sitting in them, I can adjust them fully back against the firewall to eliminate the noise. No problems like that on this trip.

I had a great drive. The Cayman ran like a champ the whole way....but I had exactly the same rattle in the same place as you.

When I got into town, I did not hear the rattle.

In the Denver hotel room this morning, I searched for solutions...Yours is EXACTLY like mine.

After reading this thread, I walked out to the car and.....TA DA!!!! I FOUND IT!!!

It's so simple, you're gonna kick yourself.

Don't raise the front hatch. Just below the windshield on the cowl, lift that black plastic piece. Does it move up and down? Mind did. It makes a VERY FAMILIAR sound when it does. There is a little cover on the right side of this plastic. Pull it straight up and it will snap out of there.

Underneath is a 10mm or so nut on a little threaded shaft to hold this piece down. I don't have the right wrench, but I just hand-tightened that nut and I'm pretty confident that fixed it. I had my windshield replaced about 2 years ago and the guy probably didn't have the correct wrench either. Over time and with a lot of wind, the nut worked loose. Tighten that little puppy up and report back.

Woohoo!!!

:cheers:

I just finished a 2 day 1600 mile roadtrip from Northern California to Texas. I had changed plugs, oil, tranny fluid, cleaned filters, and had gone over and over details. I felt really confident.

A few days before I left, I found a rock in my front left tire. I thought it was just stuck in the tread...no...it was through to the belts and you could see them. I am a bit of an adventurer so I just through some RTV in the hole to keep the sand out and went for it. I made it fine. It was a small chip of rock, so I wasn't worried about structural integrity. But a sliver in my mind just the same.

The one thing I have been working on that FAILED was this rattle that emanates near where the devil lives. I heard it before and here is what I have done. Can anyone help?

Attempted solutions:
1. Removed cup holder and located a missing spring. did not solve
2. Removed glove box and located a piece of broken plastic from within locking mechanism hollow. Removed bit. did not solve
3. Left all the small pieces off that were required to remove to get to glove box like end of dash plastic (door jamb area). did not solve
4. Had my wife drive on rough section of freeway while I held a tube in my ear like a stethoscope and located the sound at the upper edge of the dash (plastic piece forward of leather) and the bottom of the right corner of the windshield. Heard what sounded like a piece of glass in this space. Celebrated and very proudly declared my victory and superior critical thinking ability. Turned my nose at Porsche and cursed the glass installer. Attempted to make a small nozzle and vacuum out the crevice. did not solve.
5. During vacuuming, found loose nut and missing spring on cowl plastic (right side, under plastic access cover, 10mm with captured washer). I thought for sure I had located the rattle when I saw this bolt was loose. Further declared my superiority, ignoring the fact that I was unable to vacuum anything out of the crevice since I had found a loose nut.
6. Falsely believed I had fixed the rattle until a week later when the sound I was hearing was the same rattle and I was in denial.
7. Disassembled dash again, right underside, did not remove any air conditioning/vent portions. Inspected anything that was close to where I heard it with stethoscope tube. Nothing was obvious. Hoped I would have solved it 'by chance' while removing dash parts. did not solve
8. Removed ALL of cowl and did not locate anything that could rattle in/near the spot on the exterior of the vehicle. Replaced spring clip. Reassembled the night before my trip.

8. Verified rattle is still present via 24+ hours over 2 days of nearly consistent vibration and wickedly amplified with this crap roadway that New Mexio and Texas uses (chip seal) which is very loud and coarse. I nearly went crazy with rage. did not solve

The frustrating and funny thing is how badly I wanted to lean over and mess around with everything to try and locate this rattle. I couldn't. It was comic torture. I listened to music (with no Bluetooth because I am CD24 purist and would never try and improve Porsche's mastery of providing only what I need) to drown out the sound for the trip and now I cannot continue in this misery.

It sounds like plastic or a loose washer. I know there is a low probability we can solve this here, but it makes me feel better to share my misery and frustration. There are a couple other rattles that I need to chase, but they are little ones.

Is there a common rattle under the right dash area? Is there anything under there that is not removable (welded in, or epoxied, one-way plastic locks or something)?

And to add insult to injury, no room at the inn when I decided to stop in Flagstaff, so I had to go to the local sleazy breezy and there was a special woman in a suburban who door ding-ed my fender (only permanently damaged the clear protective film, so in theory this is a victory, but there is a double gash in my film now)

In summary, my road trip was like a kick in the groin, followed by the lingering sting of being pepper sprayed. Car ran great though, 112K and still truckin'. She sang to me at about 85mph for the majority of the trip.

Blue Skies,
pinesap (currently known as rattle tortured)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Sixisenuff,

You can probably borrow a socket at the local auto parts stores or buy a cheapie for a few bucks at Walmart if you are roadtrippin. Victory!! That little cowl demon rides with all windshield installers and steals a washer or uses a torque blocking spell on 10mm nuts.

I am still hunting. There is a combo torture noise from the right rear plastic retaining spring on the interior of the hatch (checked strut by removing and it was still there...that is a quickie) and the [email protected] dash still. Mine is very specific to harmonics. Smooth road, almost never hear it. Rough road, sounds like a screw vibrating in an empty ash tray. I think I am going to have to take apart the door and sniff around in there.

My CD24 purist comment was pure sarcasm. I despise that device and was mocking the superiority of Porsche engineers who clearly did not use any sort of structured analytical techniques on the product they chose.

Update your insurance and rest well. I pray someone steals my car so I can have Porsche #2. Not rich enough to buy another outright! Don't get me wrong, I would cry, but it would be a bittersweet cry where you couldn't tell if I was happy or sad.

Blue Skies

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
RT:

I had a sound like that when I turned corners. Turns out to be a ball bearing from the seat track (long story there. Check the ROTtec seat photos in my profile by clicking on my name on this post.) It was in the pan under the passenger's seat. It sounded like a sheet metal bolt had dropped out of the glove box lid. I had pulled the seat and looked for it but it was back in there and only moved enough to make me nuts. Finally got it with a magnet on one of those long, springy things.

I had hatch issues...Trunk Clunk.... long ago and solved it by doing ALL the procedures. The one that really made a difference was the actual rear hatch lock. It's got two bolts holding it down to the frame in back. The holes in the lock housing are oversized so you can adjust the position of the lock. The left side had come loose and the lock was up to the maximum on the left side. I Loc-tited both bolts down to their lowest position, then backed off the bumpers on the side. Adjusted the bumpers just right with a couple tries and all was much better.

Hatch was making some other noises for a while that got fixed by my sticking pieces of that serious clear plastic velcro stuff (as used for Ipass and EZ Pass on windshields) in the walls of the hatch opening where the clear plastic stuff is on the hatch opening side-rail.

My roll bar still makes some noises now and then but they're minor. It's bolted to the rear struts and I think the Damptronics make noises when conditions are right. It's not often and not bad, so I left it alone.

The Heigo roll bar is a bear to install and remove. I like the rigidity it gives the chassis. Also like that I might survive if I roll the car in a ditch. I've been known to take back road hairpins at some pretty sporting velocities. My car is so set up for that sort of thing. I'm a freak for corners.

I don't think they'll steal the car. But they might take the wheels and leave cinder blocks. That would be inconvenient this week and next.

:cheers:

Hey Sixisenuff,

You can probably borrow a socket at the local auto parts stores or buy a cheapie for a few bucks at Walmart if you are roadtrippin. Victory!! That little cowl demon rides with all windshield installers and steals a washer or uses a torque blocking spell on 10mm nuts.

I am still hunting. There is a combo torture noise from the right rear plastic retaining spring on the interior of the hatch (checked strut by removing and it was still there...that is a quickie) and the [email protected] dash still. Mine is very specific to harmonics. Smooth road, almost never hear it. Rough road, sounds like a screw vibrating in an empty ash tray. I think I am going to have to take apart the door and sniff around in there.

My CD24 purist comment was pure sarcasm. I despise that device and was mocking the superiority of Porsche engineers who clearly did not use any sort of structured analytical techniques on the product they chose.

Update your insurance and rest well. I pray someone steals my car so I can have Porsche #2. Not rich enough to buy another outright! Don't get me wrong, I would cry, but it would be a bittersweet cry where you couldn't tell if I was happy or sad.

Blue Skies

·
Registered
287 Posts
Had a similar rattle / buzzing in my 09 Cayman, passenger side dash area seemed to be coming from vents or behind cupholder area, was under CPO but was afraid dealer would make it worse or do damage taking apart interior plus they weren't too eager to help on different rattle I had reported previously, tried the vent tubing fix which had come loose a little but that didn't help.

Sold the car before finding a solution, it was reported in the PPI buyer had done...wonder if he was able to get it resolved

1 - 11 of 11 Posts