Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buddy sent this to me today. It appears to be a TV reality show in which there will be competition on closed roads. Its called the Robin Hood Rally, Home Page Anyone here interested?? Looks like fun.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Hmmm, they want a $1000 deposit with your application, and another $5000 if you are accepted into the Rally. It sounds more like a very expensive competition-based raffle, or a scam to me. Do reality TV shows usually require their contestants to pay entry fees? Since when do the contestants have to front the expenses?

"Robin Hood" rally --> take from the rich and give to the Producer? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hmmm, they want a $1000 deposit with your application, and another $5000 if you are accepted into the Rally. It sounds more like a very expensive competition-based raffle, or a scam to me. Do reality TV shows usually require their contestants to pay entry fees? Since when do the contestants have to front the expenses?

"Robin Hood" rally --> take from the rich and give to the Producer? :rolleyes:
Kinda what I thought. Something just doesn't seem right, but if you ask my wife, I've been known to be wrong.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Sounds to me that they have you pay for the event AND then pitch it ti networks. I doubt it is already an NBC backed show, in that case the entry fee should be peanuts for the networks. They spend millions on single episodes for tv shows.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I got the postcard too. After looking at their web site it went into trash. I think the reality show angle takes away not adds to the experience.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
No thanks. I'll keep my money.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've done a little research on the net since I posted this and have found other forums are looking at the offer as a scam. But....it appears the guy producing this has recently worked with our guys here from the Nor-east group in an event at Lime Rock this last fall. The following if taken from a post at a Bimmer forum..

Stephan is a personal friend of mine and I feel obligated to set the record straight.

I met Stephan several years ago when I joined the Drivers Club at Lime Rock, which he and Skip Barber set up, and I have been friends with both Stephan and Skip ever since. Everyone at Lime Rock knows Stephan and he is very well liked and respected by the Lime Rock Staff and the Club Members.

I worked with him last October to organize a visit to Lime Rock Park by The Cayman Club/Planet-9 Nor'Easters Chapter.
See link below:

http://www.planet-9.com/u-s-northeas...lime-rock.html

That event was so successful that we are currently in the formative process of organizing another visit to Lime Rock as a fund raiser for Ronald McDonald House.

Stephan does not run scams and I can personally attest to the fact that his biography is absolutely accurate. I can aslo attest to the fact that he is a stand up guy and so can a number of other members here, on Bimmerfest.com and onPlanet-9.com (Cayman Club). He is a well kown figure in the motorsports world and has participated in the Greenwich Concourse and has presented to the Manhattan Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society.

I spoke to Stephan yesterday and this sounds like a great event. I am invited to the kick off party next month and will post more info as it becomes available.

From the E90 forum thread if you'd like to read more.
(possible scam?) Robin Hood Rally TV SHOW LOOKING FOR COTESTANTS - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

I don't know how these things work but the above thread makes it sound a little suspicious.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Its probably just me, but I have a tendency not to trust something with strange spelling mistakes. Other than that, if it were true, it would be great!

Are their awards for coolest cars?

Maybe, can't tell you officially yet.

Are their awards for other things like most improved?

Maybe, can't tell you officially yet.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Got this in e-mail today.

"ALERT: Robin Hood Rally

You may have heard about a "Robin Hood Rally" through email, internet forums or because you recently received a post card or two in the mail soliciting participants for a reality TV show apparently being offered to various channels for airing this fall.

It has come to our attention that the operators of Robin Hood Rally may have obtained unauthorized access to a Skip Barber Racing School mailing list from a third party and have been using it in connection with these mailings. Robin Hood Rally was never provided with any mailing list by SBRS nor did SBRS authorize them to contact our customers in any way.

SKIP BARBER RACING SCHOOL IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY WAY WITH ROBIN HOOD RALLY, nor do we endorse, promote or support this event, or any of its mailings.

Robin Hood Rally has been the subject of a story from the NBC affiliate here in Connecticut refuting the rally organizer's original claim that the reality show being produced would air this fall on NBC, see Reality: Robinhood Rally is not NBC Production | NBC Connecticut

We apologize for any inconvenience and we are taking steps to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. For more information on Skip Barber Racing School's Privacy Policy, please visit Welcome to the Premier Racing and Driving School, Skip Barber Racing School

Jim Altemus
Marketing Manager,
Skip Barber Racing School"

·
World's Foremost Authority
240 Posts
I've done a little research on the net since I posted this and have found other forums are looking at the offer as a scam. But....it appears the guy producing this has recently worked with our guys here from the Nor-east group in an event at Lime Rock this last fall. The following if taken from a post at a Bimmer forum..

Stephan is a personal friend of mine and I feel obligated to set the record straight.

I met Stephan several years ago when I joined the Drivers Club at Lime Rock, which he and Skip Barber set up, and I have been friends with both Stephan and Skip ever since. Everyone at Lime Rock knows Stephan and he is very well liked and respected by the Lime Rock Staff and the Club Members.

I worked with him last October to organize a visit to Lime Rock Park by The Cayman Club/Planet-9 Nor'Easters Chapter.
See link below:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxs...ter-competition/u-s-northeas...lime-rock.html

That event was so successful that we are currently in the formative process of organizing another visit to Lime Rock as a fund raiser for Ronald McDonald House.

Stephan does not run scams and I can personally attest to the fact that his biography is absolutely accurate. I can aslo attest to the fact that he is a stand up guy and so can a number of other members here, on Bimmerfest.com and onPlanet-9.com (Cayman Club). He is a well kown figure in the motorsports world and has participated in the Greenwich Concourse and has presented to the Manhattan Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society.

I spoke to Stephan yesterday and this sounds like a great event. I am invited to the kick off party next month and will post more info as it becomes available.

From the E90 forum thread if you'd like to read more.
(possible scam?) Robin Hood Rally TV SHOW LOOKING FOR COTESTANTS - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

I don't know how these things work but the above thread makes it sound a little suspicious.
That was my post on E90Post.com. I am not involved in the event and receive no compensation from the organizers (unless you count the free Robin Hood Rally hat I got last night) but I made that post because some of the accusations being made (like the one that said Stephan Condodemtracky was a Nigerian Interet scam artist) were really absurd.

I was at the Kick Off party last night at the Marriot in Stamford, Ct. There were about 200 people there including Stephan and some people that I know from the Greenwich Concours. I spoke to at least two people who will be participating.

From what I gather this is being produced by an independent production company and not by NBC. Some of the production people involved have some rather impressive credentials.

Most of the "regulars" in the Nor'Easters group here know who I am and know me and my wife personally. We attend most of the Nor'Easter events (summer BBQ, Holiday Party, Wings and Wheels, etc.) I believe a number of Nor'Easters met Stephan at last October's "Invasion" of Lime Rock Park and he was the person that I contacted to put the event together.

CaptainAudio

·
World's Foremost Authority
240 Posts
This event is coming together. There are over 60 people that have committed to participate and Motor Trend Magazine is now invilved.

CA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts