Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my car today and was surprised to find a lot of rock chips on the wheels, mainly the rears. I don't drive anywhere where this would be encouraged and it seems due to regular wear from 60-70 mph highways. Car now has 6k miles and notice the chips have increased quite a bit since 3k. At the rate, the wheels will be pretty beat up in years.

Anyone else notice this? is it possible to get them painted with a more durable compound? I notice my wheels are painted kinda poorly too.

All in all, rock chips don't bother me too much because it's natural wear from driving.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Do you have spacers?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
There have been, unfortunately, several threads dealing with this. It is an all too common problem and seems to be worse with the Carrera S wheels for some reason. My wheels have small chips and some black flecks on the rims where they meet the spokes.

It's a painted and clear coated finish and, quite frankly, doesn't seem all that durable. Other than re-painting, powder coating is the only viable option I can find. The problem, which was pointed out to me by a body shop, is that powder coating will not match the color of the center caps since powder coating isn't available in OEM Porsche colors. I'm not sure if that's completely true, but two shops I checked with would not guarantee a match. I was also told that powder coating, while more durable than paint, can still chip.

I had my wheels repainted last year due to some minor damage, but I'm already seeing the little spots and chips coming right back. I really don't think there's much any of us can do about this.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yes it's a problem. We discussed this before and I (and others) posted photos. I can't find that thread. But the paint is absurdly delicate. I've looked at several other cars with these wheels and they all seem to get it. They really need to change the paint formula, because this doesn't happen on other cars.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Instead of powder coating, what about Plasti-Dip as a protective layer? I've seen videos (someone trying to 'key' his dipped hood) and have heard, with the proper amount of layers, that it's quite durable. Plasti-dip comes in different colors to suit tastes or to try to match OEM wheel color. If you have the regular Carrera S wheel, there's even a plasti-dip that replicates the aluminum look. Their 'glossifier' (sprayed on after the plasti-dip) mimics as the clear coat. Google "plasti dip aluminum" and you'll see some sample images.

I have no experience with it but its something to consider since it's not permanent, low cost and DIY.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Waking up an old thread... Har anyone found a solution for this? I'm getting my (after 4000km in only nice weather...) heavily chipped wheels re-painted during the off-season and I would like to protect them so I don't have to re-paint next year again.

How about PPF on the wheels? I have XPEL on the rest of the car.

Any other method recommended?

I can't really stand rock chips, and I don't want to think about it when I drive, that's why I XPEL:ed the whole car. But I didn't think about the wheels... :(

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I haven't found any way of preventing this. It hasn't gotten much worse since I had my wheels repainted in late 2013, but the little black pits keep showing up. A few more small chips but, overall, they don't look much worse now. I really think the design of the Carrera style wheels makes them much more prone to road damage than other designs. Other than powder coating or some form of protective appliqué, I don't think there's an awful lot that can be done. I keep them clean and just stopped stressing over every blemish. It's virtually impossible to enjoy these cars on the open road and also keep them immune from "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune." (Sorry, William Shakespeare.)

Reactions: Johnrobbfl

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I have the 20" Carrera Classic Wheels with wheel spacers. I get a few chips on the rear wheels. I drive a lot of secondary, country roads and I often run over gravel. I just live with the chips. :(

The other day I dropped a socket wrench on the rear wheel. That left a nice little chip. :(

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
My black/polished turbo wheels are beat up to hell too, and only 5K+ miles. I'll very soon have to touch them up, but since they're black, will try with a sharpie, or something similar first. What we could do too is to swap wheels/sensors side to side when replacing tires, since only the leading edge of the spokes get beat up. I don't remember if our cars can deal with swapping sensors without a dealer, hence my mentioning of swapping the sensors too. But feel free to comment if that wouldn't be necessary;). By the way, my front wheels are almost as bad as the rear wheels, which is baffling to me. It obviously has to do with the car's aerodynamics, pulling any road crap into the wheels. And yes, the rears are worse due to front tires kicking everything to the rear... but not by a lot on my car. Mine are mostly pitted, due to constant wind and dust in this crappy part of the country (desert southwest), along with crappy roads, full of gravel, dust, etc. And yes, constant construction stretches with loose gravel doesn't help at all. I think ANY wheel design gets beat up on 981s (and probably 991s too) more than other cars. My other vehicles I use to travel have wheel chip damage, but no pitting, like the GTS. Oh well. That's not going to prevent me from using it, but I don't like it either. So far the wheel damage is not noticeable from a distance, but at this pace, it'll be soon. I bought a black wax to help with scratches on the paint, and was hoping it'd help with the wheels too, but doesn't quite work. It only makes a mess, as it comes off like if it was white, not covering anything. Will research to see if there's anything better. This kit is a Turtle-Wax black paint pack. Don't waste your money. By the way, it's practically impossible to clearbra wheels, so forget about that. I'll continue buying my sports car with black wheel spokes if possible, to simplify dealing with touch-ups and eventual repainting.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update anyone interested...I got the wheels refinished with powder coat satin black at 10k miles. I have hardly any chips at 50k miles now, though there are a some that I think is acceptable wear.

Apparently Porsche uses a cheap finish. Right before I got them powder coated, I actually induced swirl/smear marks just by washing the wheels with a sponge and 'safe' wheel cleaner! Think its a water based clear coat on top.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just to update anyone interested...I got the wheels refinished with powder coat satin black at 10k miles. I have hardly any chips at 50k miles now, though there are a some that I think is acceptable wear.

Apparently Porsche uses a cheap finish. Right before I got them powder coated, I actually induced swirl/smear marks just by washing the wheels with a sponge and 'safe' wheel cleaner! Think its a water based clear coat on top.
Given the Earl Scheib paint job on the body, that is not surprising.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I also did that! Soft sponge just touched the surface and a long scratch appeared.... The paint really seems thin and sensitive.

No problem in color matching the original color with a powder coated? I can imagine the center cap being slightly off in color if not using original color.

I also thinking if maybe gloss paint could be more durable than the satin finish? Any thoughts?

Reactions: Johnrobbfl

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes when I talked to the shop they said that more gloss is more durable. This is the reason they don't offer matte...satin is the dullest they can do.

Satin black ends up looks very oem and the black center caps match well, but they cost like 400 (ridiculous considering it was only 500 to refinish all the wheels). The shop willingly painted the silver caps the same/similar black color (no added cost) and it looks good.

You can get any color, but I chose satin black to match oem look, hide brake dust, and I like the look after seeing pictures of the same wheels/ car. Gloss black wasn't my thing...gloss also magnifies imperfection and dirt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts