Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting wider wheels and widening the track a little, I'm noticing that the rear part of the rear fender edge (which is part of the rear bumper) is getting really torn up - lots of stone chips, dirt, scratches, etc. in the paint and soft plastic.

After patching up the chips (just going to do this with some touch-up paint and some wet sanding), I was thinking about DIY'ing by placing a small strip of Xpel film over the fender edge, but I'm concerned about the job not looking too good. Anyone else have any alternative suggestions/solutions? The part of the fender edge that is made of the steel bodywork appears to be holding up well.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not sure. I'm here in Torrance, near Redondo Beach in the SoCal area. Lemme look up Premiere and see.

Edit: Aha, I see they have a facility in Orange, which is just a short drive. I think I'll touch up the defects myself and then just take the car over there to get a bit of film applied. Thanks, Pete.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
If they are close by, you can head over and document their shop for us. One of the benefits of being a sponsor on here, right? ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely will. Just need to find time to make an appointment. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Same problem here, so I am interested in what DIY solutions have worked. I thought about buying replacement rock guards (or some material that is clear and a little stiffer than clear bra) and cutting out strips to cover these areas. The job needs to look reasonable and not perfect. I will wait until spring to paint the chips and do the fix given the weather here lately.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Venture Shield can sell you a sheet of extra thick film about the same size as a sheet of paper. Cut it and do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I'm finding this to be the case with street driving. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts