Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

I don't know how it happened :(
The scratch is pretty deep and low to the ground. The tire and wheel still look perfect. It doen'st look like I hit a sidewalk but more like I might have caught a debris on the road. I hope it's not a hit and run.

Any idea for an easy and cheap way to replace this piece? I tried contacting a couple of scrapyards for a 981 side skirt (boxster and cayman) but I could't find any. I like the stock oem look, but if you guys know of someone that produce custom side skirts, that might be an option too. Even though right now the solution prety much points toward a brand new side skirt from Porsche... and they'll probably charge me an arm for it... :wall:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Call up Suncoast Porsche they are a site sponsor and offer planet 9 discount pricing which is good for OEM parts but you have to tell them. They will probably need your vin#. phone number is 877-923-1700 or try this place found a right side one for $275.00 12 13 14 PORSCHE 981 BOXSTER RIGHT RH Side Rocker Panel Molding Sideskirt OEM -
Wow, $275 is cheap by normal Porsche parts standards. Of course painting will cost more than the part, but that's the case with any manufacturer. I remember thinking when I first looked closely at the 981 that going to a plastic piece that extended up from the rocker to the rear quarter panel was kinda cheap...but it actually looks OK and replacing plastic is easier/cheaper than metal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call up Suncoast Porsche they are a site sponsor and offer planet 9 discount pricing which is good for OEM parts but you have to tell them. They will probably need your vin#. phone number is 877-923-1700 or try this place found a right side one for $275.00 12 13 14 PORSCHE 981 BOXSTER RIGHT RH Side Rocker Panel Molding Sideskirt OEM -
This part I have already looked at and it has been repaired. It is not in a good enough condition + it is not in the white color. But thx for taking the time to search for it.

Wow, $275 is cheap by normal Porsche parts standards. Of course painting will cost more than the part, but that's the case with any manufacturer. I remember thinking when I first looked closely at the 981 that going to a plastic piece that extended up from the rocker to the rear quarter panel was kinda cheap...but it actually looks OK and replacing plastic is easier/cheaper than metal.
That's also what I am thinking. The rocker panels must be some of the parts that get repaired or replaced more often.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
View attachment 53093 View attachment 53094
they'll probably charge me an arm for it... :wall:
Your forgot about the leg...

There is not much aftermarket body parts for 981... I'm pretty sure any body shop can fix your skirt to a new state. They were able to fill ugly burger indentation in my 350z plastic bumper without a trace. Questions is if it'll be cheaper than new part or not

Reactions: Sebast007

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
275 seems bit too cheap. Reader closer and it has damage and repaired.

to OP, go to body shop and they'll fix it cheapest/ best option...be it replace and repaint or repair. You can't get a panel and just install it... You'll have to paint and clear coat it while is on the car and blend with surrounding paint. My insurance should cover it.

Another option is just keep the battle scar because repainting the whole side of the car may look worse :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ain't going to a bodyshop. If I can't find the piece I am looking for in a scrapyard, in mint condition, I'm buying a new one. I'm hoping for under 1000 dollars in total.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
Ain't going to a bodyshop. If I can't find the piece I am looking for in a scrapyard, in mint condition, I'm buying a new one. I'm hoping for under 1000 dollars in total.
Oh, but you still going to the body shop for painting!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, but you still going to the body shop for painting!
What I am really looking for right now is to find a crashed white Boxster or Cayman 981 in a scrapyard. If I can't find a right side rocker panel in it's original condition and painted in carrera white, I'd have to get a new one from Porsche.
that's what I meant*

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I did not see a good answer for this older but still current topic thread. I was doing some research on the lower rocker cover referenced here and have some good news. On the 981, this is a plastic cover that can be had from Porsche for under $200 with shipping from several US dealers. For example: ROCKER MOLDING, LEFT for 2014 Porsche Cayman|981-504-661-09

A Porsche part that actually is reasonable to replace. Sure it needs to be painted, but I was happy to see they are not charging $500-$1,000 for this plastic outer body rocker panel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. That is a pretty reasonable price.
I had a friend that works in a bodyshop help me remove the part, repair and repaint it. The reparation is perfect and it cost me nothing, too! ^^

I also learned that the carrera white paint is also used on Volkswagen cars. I thought Porsche paints where exclusive to Porsche. I guess it's a good thing though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts