Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on many rural roads and parking lots I hear lots of clicking sounds as debris is being kicked inside the wheel wells. I notice the sound of this a lot louder than my other cars which had padding or plastic opposed to textured metal here. I imagine most of the stuff gets knocked in the wheel well and bounces around back down on the road, but after examining the rockerpanels there are a fair number of tiny blemishes and he wheels got plenty of tiny nicks. You can't see anything 3 feet away, natural wear doesn't bother me, and I am sure the blemishes could be fixed, but I am wondering are there some kind of wheel well flaps I can buy and install to reduce this.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The reason the pickup and cast off of debris is more noticeable is due to the increased grip of the tires speced for the 981.
Track your 981 and get off line and see the amount of rubber from the marbles you pick up!
-Richard

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My VW golf has really tiny mud flaps on the front wheels which seem to have done well in preventing the stones from the front wheels from flying to the back. I can't seem to find anything similar for 981, though older models seem to have a lot of choices.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Porsche should have used that heavy duty felt liner material in place of the plastic wheel well liners. The felt is fairly common on high end cars these days. It's sound absorbing and wears better (plastic liners get all nicked up and dull/worn looking). The only negative is that cleaning it can be difficult, as debris tends to get stuck in the felt.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Porsche should have used that heavy duty felt liner material in place of the plastic wheel well liners. The felt is fairly common on high end cars these days. It's sound absorbing and wears better (plastic liners get all nicked up and dull/worn looking). The only negative is that cleaning it can be difficult, as debris tends to get stuck in the felt.
Maybe it's heavier.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It probably is heavier, but I doubt it's a major difference. These cars have become so refined over the years, what's another 10 or 15 pounds if it competes the job.

It's not a huge issue, but I'd prefer not hearing stones hitting the wheel wells. It's especially bad during the winter when the DOT throws a ton of salt and gravel on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts