Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased tickets to the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona event. PCA sent out an email and are promoting a PCA package which includes a Porsche Only parking corral. This will be my first time to Daytona or any Racing venue for that matter. I'm even packing a tent to hang out all night! This will be a baptism of speed for me. Will I see any of you there?

Here is the email and link to the event:

2014 ROLEX 24 AT DAYTONA PCA TICKET PACKAGES NOW ON SALE
Daytona International Speedway has prepared a special website and telephone number for PCA members to purchase tickets for the 52ndRolex 24 at Daytona which will feature the inaugural race for the new United Sports Car Racing series. The PCA Ticket Packages include one 4-Day Admission Ticket and one PCA Corral Parking Pass. Only 200 Corral parking passes are available; only Porsches will be permitted to park in the Corral, a Porsche-only parking area will also be available outside of the track.
The 4-Day Ticket Package includes the following:
· Admission and infield parking on January 3-5, 2014for the Roar Before the 24 testing.
· Access duringthe Roar to a special reserved parking area for PCA member vehicles located in the infield adjacent to the International Hairpin.
· Admission on January 23-26, 2014 to all practices, qualifying sessions, the Continental Tire Series race, and Rolex 24 at Daytona.
· PCA Corral parking pass that ensures access to the infield during the Rolex 24 and a parking space within the Corral at its historic near “the kink”.
TO ORDER:
Telephone: 1-877-306-RACE (7223)
If you are not bringing a Porsche to this event, please DO NOT PURCHASE A CORRAL PARKING PASS.
The PCA Hospitality Tent at the Corral is open to all PCA members, Porsche owners and their guests, and is provided at no charge. Guest registration will be conducted in the tent throughout the weekend. The PCA Corral at Daytona is made possible by financial and material support from PCA National, Florida Citrus Region, Florida Crown Region, Gold Coast Region, North Florida Region, Peachstate Region, Sonnenschein Region, Space Coast Region, Suncoast Florida Region and PCA Zone 12.
FAQs:
Q: Is there a premium price for the tickets in this package?
A: No. Tickets are priced the same as regular 4-Day Admission tickets.

Q: Is there a premium price for the Corral parking pass?
A: No. The charge for parking is the same as other infield parking passes.

Q: Why is the number of parking passes limited?
A: The Corral has a capacity for 200 cars. The quantity of both Corral and infield parking passes is being limited this year to ensure access to the infield throughout the event. (In past years, race fans were not able to regain access to the infield during peak times; this change resolves that recurring problem.)

Q: Will other infield parking areas be available?
A: Only with the purchase of an infield parking pass. The Corral pass provides access to the infield and parking area in the Corral – only Porsches will be admitted into the Corral.

Q: Can I camp overnight in the PCA Corral?
A: No, overnight camping is not permitted within the PCA Corral; however, camping passes for other areas at the track can be purchased separately for $20 (while supplies last).

Q: Will Corral parking passes be available for other than 4-Day Ticket purchases?
A: Probably not. With demand for the new USCR racing format, these ticket packages will sell out quickly.

Q: Will there be a Porsche-only overflow parking area located outside of the infield.
A: We are attempted to place a Porsche-only parking area on the Speedway property near the tram stops; however, Daytona International Speedway is undergoing a major reconstruction of the front stretch grandstands in its Daytona Rising project. Onsite parking capacity will be reduced significantly during the 2014 racing season including the Rolex 24.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Red Barrron,

Last year, did you camp out overnight? Since I've never been to this event I would be interested in learning anything you are willing to share.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Thinking about it. Went to the first year of ALMS in 1999 and might try the same for the USSC. May be a warmup for Le man's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello Red Barrron,

Last year, did you camp out overnight? Since I've never been to this event I would be interested in learning anything you are willing to share.

Thanks,

Matt
Last year I slept in a friends RV in outside parking lot . I would not want to try to sleep in the infield it's very loud. There are some hotels very close by also. Do not forget earplugs for watching the race!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I just bought mine. As always, the Daytona website is confusing when it comes to this event. I knew they were making some changes but didn't know they capped the amount of cars into the corral. This is an event I look forward to each year. I started going in 1984.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I willl have to see if my buddy Stan wants to go. We do Petit every year and have our reserved spot for his 40ft RV. It is the only way to do longer races. Although we do do Sebring each year as just a day event but Petit has a lot more going on with support races during the week.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to see others heading to the coral. I'm "981CROC" see pic. This will be my first trip and look forward to interacting with others passionate about Porsche and Speed.

Matt

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad to see others heading to the coral. I'm "981CROC" see pic. This will be my first trip and look forward to interacting with others passionate about Porsche and Speed.

Matt
What day were you going over? I am in Tally but usually don't go over until early Friday. Either way, I will keep an eye out.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Booked for Florida for January 18 and then leaving on the 27th. Rocket launch on the 23rd and the race on the 25 and 26.

Not bringing the Boxster so can't park in the Porsche Platz and it looks like all the infield parking is booked. Staying in Orlando for the week but may well stay overnight at the track. Bring a tent and stay in the west parking lot??

Any suggestions? Also, looking at getting the two day tickets.:cheers:

I see the C7R Corvette will debut there as well as the Flying Lizards with their new R8's! And Core should have the 991's there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rolex 24 hours at Daytona - I CANT GO NOW, 2 Tickets available

:( I'm sad to report that I will not be able to make this year's Daytona event due to a business conflict. Darn It!! This is such a bummer especially considering Porsche Motorsports new cars will likely dominate and I was hoping to see Patrick Dempsey.

The PCA package is now sold out. If any Planet 9 member wants to go I have 2 tickets for PCA Coral including the INFIELD Tent Camping package. The total cost was $224 including their processing fee. Send me a PM or email [email protected]

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
That's it. Retire and then that pesky business item will go away.;)

Anybody with suggestions for watching the rocket launch on January 23rd? Night launch so I hear that the Cape isn't open for really close viewing, but is Titusville any good? Atlas V in its simplest configuration.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Team Sahlen to Field Porsche Caymans in ST

World's worse Cayman paint scheme

I would love to see what these guys could do with a 4.0L heavily modified Cayman.
After withdrawing from Daytona Prototype competition, Team Sahlen has returned to its roots for 2014, announcing a two-car program for the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge.

The longtime GRAND-AM entrants, which celebrates its 30th anniversary in professional sports car racing next year, will enter a pair of Porsche Caymans in the ST class for drivers Joe Sahlen, Joe Nonnamaker, Wayne Nonnamaker and Will Nonnamaker.

“I am very excited for 2014,” Sahlen said. “We had a very successful maiden season with the Prototypes last season. We were new to the class, going up against some very professional sports car teams with years of experience in the DPs. And to have had the success we did was very rewarding.

“I very much enjoyed our decade plus adventure in racing in the Rolex Series. Now a new chapter begins with our full time entry into the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge. The competition will be tough and we are excited to mix it up with the ST teams on track.”

The majority of the team’s success has come in the ST class, having claimed five drivers’ championships and more than 40 class victories with a variety of machinery.

“I have truly enjoyed getting to race the many types of different classes and cars we have raced over the past decade, but my I have always had a fondness for the ST class,” said three-time class champion Will Nonnamaker.

“To get to come back to the class and compete full time is very exciting. And to be coming back to the class with such a strong effort is a dream come true. The competition will be tough, but I think our team will be up to the challenge.”

The Ohio-based organization has retained the entire crew from its DP program, including team manager Jay Chapman and lead engineer Katie Crawford, who will be celebrating her fifth season with the team.
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/team-sahlen-to-field-porsche-caymans-in-st/

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Need to sell my Tickets/Infield pass Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

Do any P-9 members want to go to the Rolex 24hrs at Daytona? The dates are Jan 23 - 26. I have (2) 4 day passes and an PCA parking pass for the Porsche corral and infield camping pass, which have been sold out for a long while. Cost was $224 but I'll take an offer.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's it. Retire and then that pesky business item will go away.;)

Anybody with suggestions for watching the rocket launch on January 23rd? Night launch so I hear that the Cape isn't open for really close viewing, but is Titusville any good? Atlas V in its simplest configuration.
I suggest Jetty Park in Port Canaveral. There are some eateries and bars nearby while you wait for the launch. This spot is very close. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I suggest Jetty Park in Port Canaveral. There are some eateries and bars nearby while you wait for the launch. This spot is very close. Have fun.
Thx for the suggestion. If a guy wants to get as close as possible do you know if there are any side roads that one can take? Looking at the launch sites it looks like the Atlas V takes off from near the top of the Banana River area?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Need to sell my Tickets/Infield pass Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

Do any P-9 members want to go to the Rolex 24hrs at Daytona? The dates are Jan 23 - 26. I have (2) 4 day passes and an PCA parking pass for the Porsche corral and infield camping pass, which have been sold out for a long while. Cost was $224 but I'll take an offer.
I am very interested! PM me a price!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sent you a PM Red Barron, I hope you can go.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts