Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at TC Kline in Columbus, OH earlier this week looking at a set of Sachs coil-overs they had installed on a 2010 CS. It was a nice looking installation and I also got to drive the car. On full soft it is softer than my PASM '09' CS. Crank it up and it is better than the PASM on sport with SC. I'm impressed.

On the roll bar side they had a custom roll bar fitted to a BMW Z4 M Coupe. It was one of the cleanest installs for a roll bar in a street car that I have seen. Eric, TC Kline, informed me that they are having a bolt in roll bar fabricated for their CS. They hope to have it installed in time for Porsches 2 Oxford this coming July. I asked Eric to put me down for one if it comes out as nice as the one in the BMW.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
What was the price for the Sachs?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,875 Posts
An interesting side story...

I attended Croctoberfest at Road America last year over Labor Day weekend. While there, I participated in the DE event preceding the PCA Club Race. TC Kline was in attendance, and he stopped by my car to inquire about the bolt-in HEIGO roll bar (with X-brace) that I had installed in my Cayman. He commented favorably on its design, and on the (admittedly second-hand) price that I had paid for it. I'm curious to see the design of the TC Kline roll bar,

As for the Sachs supension kit: Sachs' parent company is an OEM supplier to Porsche and several other makes, so I have no doubt about the design and quality of their parts. It seems that this kit is suitable for road + light track use, similar (for example) to the Bilstein Damptronic kit. Is this an accurate description? It will be interesting to see what's included in the kit, and if TC Kline provides added value such as customized tuning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was at TC Kline in Columbus, OH earlier this week looking at a set of Sachs coil-overs they had installed on a 2010 CS. It was a nice looking installation and I also got to drive the car. On full soft it is softer than my PASM '09' CS. Crank it up and it is better than the PASM on sport with SC. I'm impressed.

On the roll bar side they had a custom roll bar fitted to a BMW Z4 M Coupe. It was one of the cleanest installs for a roll bar in a street car that I have seen. Eric, TC Kline, informed me that they are having a bolt in roll bar fabricated for their CS. They hope to have it installed in time for Porsches 2 Oxford this coming July. I asked Eric to put me down for one if it comes out as nice as the one in the BMW.
Hey Alan, Thanks for the kind words. I hope that you are enjoying the new roll bar in your car!

·
Registered
34 Posts
An interesting side story...

I attended Croctoberfest at Road America last year over Labor Day weekend. While there, I participated in the DE event preceding the PCA Club Race. TC Kline was in attendance, and he stopped by my car to inquire about the bolt-in HEIGO roll bar (with X-brace) that I had installed in my Cayman. He commented favorably on its design, and on the (admittedly second-hand) price that I had paid for it. I'm curious to see the design of the TC Kline roll bar,

As for the Sachs supension kit: Sachs' parent company is an OEM supplier to Porsche and several other makes, so I have no doubt about the design and quality of their parts. It seems that this kit is suitable for road + light track use, similar (for example) to the Bilstein Damptronic kit. Is this an accurate description? It will be interesting to see what's included in the kit, and if TC Kline provides added value such as customized tuning.
Hello, I remember talking to you and checking out the roll bar in your car. I will try to get some pictures up of the roll bar in Alan's car. Erik

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here are the pictures of the roll bar in Alan's car. What do you guys think?

The great thing about this bar is that it is built to the rules of PCA yet is so unobtrusive that you cannot even tell it is in the car when driving. The installation is extremely clean and the rear bars go through the "trap doors" in the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How is it for seat position? The cross bar with the shoulder belt mount points appears to be quite a bit in front of the luggage handle. Can the seats go back all the way without hitting the bar?

Looks really good, btw!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here are the pictures of the roll bar in Alan's car. What do you guys think?

The great thing about this bar is that it is built to the rules of PCA yet is so unobtrusive that you cannot even tell it is in the car when driving. The installation is extremely clean and the rear bars go through the "trap doors" in the rear cargo area.
I like that it is up higher than the Heigo bar, which blocks some of the rear view. I don't like the aft supports going into the compartments in front of the rear speakers. It appears the cross bar is forward of the luggage bar; I am also concerned about seat position which is tight in the Cayman already.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How is it for seat position? The cross bar with the shoulder belt mount points appears to be quite a bit in front of the luggage handle. Can the seats go back all the way without hitting the bar?

Looks really good, btw!
Thanks, Yes the seats are able to recline further than they need to unless you have "go-go gadget arms". Lol. The curvature of the seatback vs the firewall make it a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is my car in the photos above. With the Sport Buckets I can move the seat all the way back and not hit anything.

The fit and finish on this bar is amazing. Very nice TIG welds instead of MIG welds. If I purchase another car I would do this bar again without hesitation.

I'll be at VIR with NNJR in November. If any of you are attending I'd be happy to show it to you. Or if you are in the Cincinnati area let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
. . . The installation is extremely clean and the rear bars go through the "trap doors" in the rear cargo area.
. . . I don't like the aft supports going into the compartments in front of the rear speakers. . .
That is my car in the photos above. . .
Alan: I am curious about the rear supports - do they actually attach to the tops of the strut towers? From the angle in the picture, it doesn't look like they would, unless there is another bend and/or horizontal extension inside the cubby storage boxes.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pete,

The Cantrell bar is a nice looking unit. For me, I didn't want the rear mounts attached to the tops of the shock towers. I preferred mounting the rear legs to the wheelhouse. I wanted easy access to the front of the engine so the diagonal was left out. The diagonals can be added later if I change my mind.

Alan: I am curious about the rear supports - do they actually attach to the tops of the strut towers? From the angle in the picture, it doesn't look like they would, unless there is another bend and/or horizontal extension inside the cubby storage boxes.
No, they are bolted in with plates to the inside of the wheelhouse.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most of the bars that I have seen attached to the shock tower are attached to a tab which is bolted to the tower bolts. So you've got 3 bolts in shear and a tab for the load. Is the tab 1010, 1020, 4130 or? .

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Alan,

Thanks for the info. I personally don't now enough about metalurgy to understand all those numbers!

I think the main thing is that we each choose fabricator we can trust. Certainly, TC Kline is in that league :) Cantrell Motorsports is also in that league when you know the history of their fabricator.

And, we need to choose a design that fits our personal criteria; we clearly have some differing criteria. I need at least a 4-way triangle joint above each occupants head; hence the extra diagonals.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pete,

You are correct. It is whatever fits your needs. Neither of the items will ever be the equivalent of a full welded in cage. I believe the TC Kline bar would serve as an anchor for a full welded in cage should an owner decide to go that route. However, in my opinion either bar will offer additional protection and that is what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts