Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
BBi harness bar and Sabelt drivers seat

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Looks great! Any key take aways? Did you do the install or have it done? Im looking to get a pro install in the NY/NJ area.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
I did the install myself. I had already gutted the hatch area so that cut back a lot of the install time.
Very detailed instructions are provided via PDF if you choose to go the DIY route. Also templates for trimming the carpeted areas where the harness belt bar runs.
It was a very tight fit.. I almost thought I wouldn't be able to bolt it down and connect the bars all together. But there's a method to getting it right... you just need a little patience. Gotta be careful threading steel bolts into aluminum when alignment isn't perfect. Last thing you want to do is cross thread the threads in the aluminum x braces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RhythmAddict0

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the install myself. I had already gutted the hatch area so that cut back a lot of the install time.
Very detailed instructions are provided via PDF if you choose to go the DIY route. Also templates for trimming the carpeted areas where the harness belt bar runs.
It was a very tight fit.. I almost thought I wouldn't be able to bolt it down and connect the bars all together. But there's a method to getting it right... you just need a little patience. Gotta be careful threading steel bolts into aluminum when alignment isn't perfect. Last thing you want to do is cross thread the threads in the aluminum x braces.

Do you drive to the track? Any concerns with having not DOT approved seats (in case of an on road accident)?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Do you drive to the track? Any concerns with having not DOT approved seats (in case of an on road accident)?

I have always trailered the car if it's an out of town HPDE. I have only recently removed the stock seats and installed the halo style Sabelt drivers seat. I have driven the car briefly on the road and despite what I read discouraging having a halo seat in a car that will also see some street time, I did it anyway. Only now do I fully understand the reason it's a bad idea for a street car. There are massive blind spots when pulling out into traffic and that makes it unsafe and really unsuitable for street driving. If the seat was just a standard non halo style, this would not be an issue.

I may have to now trailer the car to all events unless I install some sort of camera system for rear/side view.

Non DOT compliance is not a concern to me as this is primarily a track car now. I have a 6 PT harness in the event of an accident so I feel safety is not a concern there.

Reactions: RhythmAddict0

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cantrell motorsports have an excellent 981 Bar, many pictures on their web site (No affiliation other than being a customer, and having seen a ton of their bars).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cantrell motorsports have an excellent 981 Bar, many pictures on their web site (No affiliation other than being a customer, and having seen a ton of their bars).
That's likely the bar I'll go with should I do anything at all. My local shop has a lot of experience with them and I have only heard good things from elsewhere so far.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's the one I'm going with, Likely doing Recaro Sportster CS seats so that I can still have heat and easier in and out on the street. Cantrell roll bar and harness should make it pretty track ready.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have a weekender harness bar for those who track their Cayman and also drive it on a day to day basis. Here are some images below and link for more information on the bar.
View attachment 166849 View attachment 166857 View attachment 166865 View attachment 166873

981 Cayman Weekender Harness Bar - Schnell Autosports Exclusive!
Thanks for the info. To be honest, though, I have been advised running harnesses w/o a roll bar or roll cage is ill advised due to it preventing your ability to lean forward in an impact.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Not the 981, but these are from my Audi. If I make the 981 into a dedicated track car one day, I’ll get the factory rollbars replaced with a larger white rollbar with the bar for seat belt straps. That will probably render the top inoperable.

I’d probably use the same Recaro Profi Spa seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: seatbeltplanet.com
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.