Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Roll Bars - Anyone in LA, SD or San Jose willing to show me their setup?

Hey everyone,

I am currently researching Cayman roll bars, one of my biggest areas of concern is the loss of seat travel. I am 6.2 and car has GT2 buckets. If anyone has a Hergeshiemer, GMG, BBI or local custom made and is willing to let me check out your setup please PM me. Im in LA/Ventura county mostly so preferred, however travel to SD and San Jose is doable. Please PM me if you might want to help out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Not in your area, but if it helps- some comments on the Hergesheimer bar which I have. I like the bar- very robust and the main hoop/diagonal mounts to the chassis studs. My shop said it was a bear to install (which was why I paid them!) Left out the carpet/insulation piece on the rear bulkhead rather than trim it. It wouldn't fit without modification due to the diagonal. Also left out the rear speakers/plastic covering the shock mounts rather than cut them up. You lose some seat travel but not much on the drivers side. The passenger seat travel is more restricted. I'm 6-1 and don't have the seat all the way back. I also got the Cantrell seat bracket for the drivers side to get the seat lower. The only remaining fit issue for me is knees are a little close to the dash edge, but ok. Not related to the bar, but wish the seat cutouts for the shoulder belts were wider. The belt geometry is within spec for the HANs but it is a little tight.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not in your area, but if it helps- some comments on the Hergesheimer bar which I have. I like the bar- very robust and the main hoop/diagonal mounts to the chassis studs. My shop said it was a bear to install (which was why I paid them!) Left out the carpet/insulation piece on the rear bulkhead rather than trim it. It wouldn't fit without modification due to the diagonal. Also left out the rear speakers/plastic covering the shock mounts rather than cut them up. You lose some seat travel but not much on the drivers side. The passenger seat travel is more restricted. I'm 6-1 and don't have the seat all the way back. I also got the Cantrell seat bracket for the drivers side to get the seat lower. The only remaining fit issue for me is knees are a little close to the dash edge, but ok. Not related to the bar, but wish the seat cutouts for the shoulder belts were wider. The belt geometry is within spec for the HANs but it is a little tight.
Thanks for the feedback, first I have heard of the fitment issues... I have a plan, which is to just leave all the trim pieces out when I put the bar in, makes no sense trimming stuff from my POV. I am not entirely clear,... did you have to make any mods to the diagonal or carpet which is why you left it out? Also any additional info on why it was a bear to install, I wrench on my own car, so not going to farm this out. This seems like a no brainer in terms of install other than perhaps I am not aware of some specifics. I know removing the trim is a PITA.

Thanks for the insightful response!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No mods to the bar itself needed. I think it was just more the fact the main hoop is bulky and fits near flush to the roof (which is good). They had to do some pushing and pulling to get it in and on the mounting points but from what I've read that's not unusual for a bolt in bar. On the carpet piece- that bulkhead cover piece has a thick molded layer of dense foam. The guys took it out to make it easier to get the main hoop in. After they did the clearance from the diagonal to the bulkhead was tight to get the carpet/foam piece back in place. They were going to trim the foam and I said just leave it out. If I put the car back to stock some day I can just reinstall the piece.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, first I have heard of the fitment issues... I have a plan, which is to just leave all the trim pieces out when I put the bar in, makes no sense trimming stuff from my POV. I am not entirely clear,... did you have to make any mods to the diagonal or carpet which is why you left it out? Also any additional info on why it was a bear to install, I wrench on my own car, so not going to farm this out. This seems like a no brainer in terms of install other than perhaps I am not aware of some specifics. I know removing the trim is a PITA.

Thanks for the insightful response!
I had my shop install the RSS harness bar for the time being (until the car is gutted and caged this summer). The interior trim pieces needed to be cut so I told him to leave them off. Best part is I saved a few pounds not having all that plastic back there. :hilarious:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the Hergesheimer Roll Bar and did the installation myself. Attached, find some pics.[/QUOT

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I installed a BBI bar last fall. I have the gt2 seats and can confirm that you lose zero travel. I can push the seats all the way back with no contact. I'm in Santa Monica and Thousand Oaks on a regular basis if you'd like to check it out in person.

-shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would love to see your setup.

I installed a BBI bar last fall. I have the gt2 seats and can confirm that you lose zero travel. I can push the seats all the way back with no contact. I'm in Santa Monica and Thousand Oaks on a regular basis if you'd like to check it out in person.

-shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for replies, bumping thread.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
The BBI bar does not restrict seat travel and has a removable X brace to aid in engine access. My car had the first production bar (pre-production really) and we (me and CCC4321) helped Betim and Joey design the bar (back in 2007 when the car was street legal). There should be several pictures in my photo gallery.

Cheers,

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am currently researching Cayman roll bars
My only feedback around rollbars and street cars is to also account for padding the rollbar if it's far enough forward that your head can touch it. A cage or an exposed rollbar in a race car is fine because the driver is harnessed into their seat and wearing a helmet that has been tested for rollbar impact.

I've ridden in cars where I could roll my head to the top of the headrest and feel the flat part of my skull touching the rollbar. I commented to the owner that the rollbar could turn a relatively minor rear impact into an opportunity for your head to smash into a solid steel bar, but he felt that rolling over was a much bigger concern (why I don't know). I know nothing of the installation of rollbars in a Cayman and could be totally off base offering this feedback, there's probably a safe distance behind the seat backs, but when you are looking at these fitments, in addition to the cosmetics and seat positioning I'm basically suggesting you try to get a sense if your head could reach that rollbar under any sort of imaginable impact (braking hard yourself to stop for traffic, followed by being rear ended is a pretty common accident scenario where your head would be heading backwards with decent velocity).

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for bringing this topic up! Fortunately I am aware of this aspect, while perhaps others are not. Seriously dangerous situation as you describe. I have seen the online pictures of some of the bars and that is one of the reasons I wish to see the bars in person. For me being over six feet this is aspect is especially of concern! I think if one were to look at how much the body and head fail around in an impact how easy it may be for the head to touch metal, but is not obvious when just basically moving ones head around!

Be seriously ironic to put in a a roll bar and get messed up or dead in a 15 mile per hour rear ender at a stop light, ugh!

Makes me think of that Alanis song... "he prepped his car all year long for the race track ----then got head smashhsseed in a 15 mph rear ender.... isn't it ironic...

Reactions: BryantH

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just curious, why not buy some trim pieces off salvage yards and trim them if you want to preserve the trim pieces?

I personally wouldn't look to remove and install these bars all the time as long as they don't post danger to the occupants of the car (i.e. everything's behind the seats). Not like we have rear seats and gotta retain the rear seats anyway. Just a thought ...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just curious, why not buy some trim pieces off salvage yards and trim them if you want to preserve the trim pieces?

I personally wouldn't look to remove and install these bars all the time as long as they don't post danger to the occupants of the car (i.e. everything's behind the seats). Not like we have rear seats and gotta retain the rear seats anyway. Just a thought ...
For me once I start taking stuff out, plan is to not put it back, at least that is the thought , for me its not about looks, its about function, track car only. Safety of course is a primary concern. Given that I am just starting down the path, your idea is actually a really good one! Thanks for the input!!

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have two sets of the rear trim pieces that go over the rear shock mounts, both available for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Heigo roll bar powder coated white in my Cayman R. Heigo is made in Germany and it fits perfectly in the 987's. IMG_1171.jpg DSCN0427.JPG IMG_1173.jpg IMG_1174.jpg

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts