Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes, I agree with you on both points, great color, car is in the gararge on the battery maintainer...tires do not like these temps...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Georgetown KY (near Lexington?)checkin' in, and I got caught in my first whiteout on the Interstate in WI about 3 wks. ago. No garage queen here, but no winter tires for my DD either. We seldom have very many snow days that close roads, and then I'll be driving my 4Runner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anybody want to do a winter GTG? Or do all of your 987s turn into garage queens when snow falls?
I'm in a condo w/only 1 parking spot, this is my daily driver. I'm definitely up for something. I'd been driving an AWD Audi the last 5 winters so I'm anxious to see how this baby handles in some bad weather.

·
Registered
352 Posts
South Bend Indiana Area.

New RS60.

Blizzaks on, ready for the snow.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2007 Cayman just north of Indy in rural Boone county. This is my daily driver and use 17" rims with Continental snows from Tire Rack for winter driving. I had my winter rims painted Guards red this summer to make the car look less boring 5 months out of the year. My summer rims (18") Cayman S wheels painted red by the factory forced me to do this. In 14 months of ownership I have put on 18000 trouble free miles. I've also put in the Softtronics plenum & software, Mods-4 cars module and the front trunk (frunk?) protector( Der Shield) since I use this car daily, that is when I am not in my supercharged MGB. Well, the B stays in the garage during really bad weather, so I call the Cayman my salt car.

In one year, the Cayman has proven to be as good an all weather car as my previous two MINI Cooper S's. If it is really so bad that I do not want to drive it, I could take my wife to work in her Audi A-4 Avant & use her car, but that has not happened yet.

BRGMGBGT

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
...I call the Cayman my salt car.

In one year, the Cayman has proven to be as good an all weather car as my previous two MINI Cooper S's. If it is really so bad that I do not want to drive it, I could take my wife to work in her Audi A-4 Avant & use her car, but that has not happened yet.

BRGMGBGT
Glad to see another frostbiter out there. I have always felt that these cars were truly meant and engineered to be daily drivers as well as superior sportscars. And daily driving means in the snow. It's 9 degrees where I am, with about 6" of fresh snow. My 987 and I are going out there in just a few minutes - there is nothing like the feeling of driving a beautifully machined vehicle in any weather.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
No disagreement at all on the RS60. Chosing between the RS60 and the CS was a very tough call. I still don't get the people that tell me the CS is beautiful and the Boxster ugly and I've heard it multiple times. Just don't get it at all. I've liked the looks from day one and the RS60 comes off particularly well.

And for inquiring minds the call was finally made on health issues. Didn't think I'd have the top down enough to justify the couple extra $$. Still miss the opportunity from time to time of dropping the top.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Had to step in here to add my congrats to Aaronr - that RS60 is one gorgeous car. And, like Greywolf, I also felt that beautiful Boxster calling me several times, but.....I'm partial to coupes. Nonetheless, I often think I'd love to have a droptop, and if I did get one, the RS60 would be it. Beautiful, beautiful car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Welcome. How did you, and your daughter, find the Cayman suited for your long journey? I think mine is extraordinarily comfortable, but my wife not so. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, and your daughter's impressions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. We had an outstanding trip including a full day at the Grand Canyon. I'll post some pictures later. The ride was great until we hit an extremely washboarded road after 10 hours on the third day. The grid was spaced just perfectly to keep the car thumping, bouncing and loud enough to give me a headache. I honestly would have had to pull over if it went for another 2 miles, but then we hit smooth highway again and everything was fine. I'm used to performance tires and suspensions, and no matter what the set up is, if the road is rough you're going to feel it. Just part of the tradeoff for a sports car. In general the sport seat was more comfortable than my full size conversion van for long days behind the wheel. Of couse the best part was the reactions of everyone else on the road to the bright red Cayman cruising down the highway!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I am in frankfort, illinois and have a place in cassopolis michigan, love the forum, costing me money but having fun. just ordered the short shifter and the SRP from Scott at softtronics, it's going to be fun to install it with the 4.1 flash, I also have the Borla system so i think i will be done with all the upgrades unless something else comes along that is worth while.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Planning to garage it, but the wifey says that plan won't last for a week. Wouldn't admit it to her, but she's probably right...
Ok, so I couldn't take it anymore. Bought some Sumitomo HTR+ tires for winter. No more garage queen for my 2.7.

Chicago winters have usually provided at least one weekend during Dec or Jan that's 40 degrees plus...not this winter. Given that the PS2's are slippery and hard as rocks below 40 degrees, I decided it was time...car handles great.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts