Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok, so I couldn't take it anymore. Bought some Sumitomo HTR+ tires for winter. No more garage queen for my 2.7.

Chicago winters have usually provided at least one weekend during Dec or Jan that's 40 degrees plus...not this winter. Given that the PS2's are slippery and hard as rocks below 40 degrees, I decided it was time...car handles great.
Unbelievably fun, isn't it? I go where SUVs fear to tread - and I go there fast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chicago here, just got mine Cayman in early September...almost done w/the break-in period!
Hello All,

I bought an 07 Cayman Basic in Houston 3 weeks ago and had it shipped to my home in a Chicago area surburb. It arrived last week and went directly into storage in my garage. I joined the Cayman Club and have been "lurking" for the last couple of weeks.

I'd like to know if there is a very active group of owners in the Chicago area? It would
be great to meet some of you once the weather starts to break.

Regards,

"Ozzie"

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Ozzie and others in Chicago area:

I'm in West Suburbs of Chicago. I picked up my '06 Cayman in Savannah, GA. Prices now are just too good to resist. I drove it home along the Blue Ridge Parkway and other assorted hilly areas. Mighty nice car!

I had an '83 911SC coupe about 20 years ago that I never really bonded with. Traded it after about a year at a local dealer for an '89 E30 M3...That's the little square one with the wing and the fender bulges for bigger wheels. Sold that outright...It was pristine and optioned perfectly... for a brand new '95 M3 (3.0 liter inline 6 4 place coupe). That car was a winner for me.

PM me if you want to compare notes or just email [email protected] .

My Cayman S has: Carrera S 19" wheels, Bose, PASM, Sport Chono Plus, Nav, Sport Wheel and HID headlight package. Artic and Black. I'm still getting to know it, but I've done the clunk fix, the rear latch fix and the Bose subwoofer fix.

All these little "comfort mods" improved things, especially the latch (which was loose on mine and is typical. Seems they don't tighten them very well at the factory and no loc-tite). The Bose trick....(Stuffing polyester batting in the subwoofer port unit until it will take no more) transformed the stereo from something you turn on to check the news and shut off to something you can listen to and enjoy. The theory is that the sub was designed for the Boxster and just stuck into the Cayman. I don't know about that. Doesn't seem like it would work very well in the Boxster either, but it sure sounds better now. Because the sub isn't mucking things up, the rest of the speakers can now be heard and really aren't half bad. Sometimes the littlest things can make such a big difference.

I have a hydraulic frame lift in my garage and some tools. I've been a BMW CCA instructor for over 10 years. Sold my '95 M3 after 14 years of track days and lots of great mods. I just woke up one day and realized I was tired of driving the same car to the same track year after year. :sleep:

Caymans are mechanically fascinating, beautiful and really fast. They need things to be track-worthy, but I like making well considered improvements. I want to keep this car comfy for touring with the wife, so I'm going to be very careful about hopping it up. :burnout:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
welcome to the forum. You will have fun searching this forum and will get all the idea's that you can imagine. Everyone here is very helpful in any mod you want to consider, they have all been done by one of us here. The cayman is the best!

·
Registered
309 Posts
new Chicago - Northwest burbs owner here. I just picked up an 06 Cayman S in Guards Red with Sand Beige interior, PCM, PASM, Sport Chrono+, Sport Seats, and Champion RS98 rims.

Looking forward to getting involved in the local scene and getting her out on the track eventually.

Regards,
-Ken

41 - 56 of 56 Posts