Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure most of us have seen the 911 with a rooftop tent. But has anyone done it with a Cayman? Is it even possible? I believe the dynamic (i.e. while in motion) weight limit of the roof rack is around 165 lbs. But the static limit for any vehicle is usually higher. Just curious if anyone’s looked into this. A Google search didn’t really turn up anything useful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not a problem...i use "right sized" Yakima Aero Bars on my BC 987.2. I have a bike "holder" & a metal "Basket". There are a couple tent options I've already considered.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a problem...i use "right sized" Yakima Aero Bars on my BC 987.2. I have a bike "holder" & a metal "Basket". There are a couple tent options I've already considered.
I've got the Yakima CoreBars fitted with the FrontLoader for my bike, and it works well for that. I just wasn't sure whether the car would support an RTT. I think I'd just put a simple Tepui on it, though a Roofnest would be my real preference. Please let me know what you go with.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m sure most of us have seen the 911 with a rooftop tent. But has anyone done it with a Cayman? Is it even possible? I believe the dynamic (i.e. while in motion) weight limit of the roof rack is around 165 lbs. But the static limit for any vehicle is usually higher. Just curious if anyone’s looked into this. A Google search didn’t really turn up anything useful.
Did you ever purchase anything? I’m also going to pull the trigger on this! Please let us know

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I would highly recommend the Porsche roof rack, rather than the Yakima one. This is due to the attachment bolts with the Porsche rack. Its a two step process and really works well. There is an inner mount that fits into the Cayman roof with a locking bolt. Then the towers fit over that mount to provide a very stable cross member.

Attachments

Reactions: Justinfro

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
24 Posts
I would highly recommend the Porsche roof rack, rather than the Yakima one. This is due to the attachment bolts with the Porsche rack. Its a two step process and really works well. There is an inner mount that fits into the Cayman roof with a locking bolt. Then the towers fit over that mount to provide a very stable cross member.

A bit off topic, but what kind of suspension are you running on your car? That angle looks absolutely beautiful!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A bit off topic, but what kind of suspension are you running on your car? That angle looks absolutely beautiful!
Thanks, likethebossiam-I use Ohlin R&T coilovers with about 35 mm drop with a corner balance.

Reactions: likethebossiam

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anyone figure out the max weight? I just purchased the Roof Transport System (OEM) now looking for a roof top tent.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well, I use mine almost daily to transport my bikes. While the bikes do not weight much, maybe 14 lbs without the front wheel, I have been at 115 mph with the bike on the roof. This shows the stupidity of the driver, but still the 4 bolts hold the forged aluminium support blocks into roof ruts securely. That is the key to this system as the aluminium side elevators attach to these blocks very securely. So your application should be work as well. Just knowing that the wind torque on your box is different than the frontal area of my road bike.

DSC_0006.JPG

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My owner's manual (987.1) states a maximum of 132 lbs for the roof rack, so unless you're a small person you would most likely be over the limit. I'm sure they build some cushion into that number, but still...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
advertisement is that this sport rack is rated at 165 lbs. for the 996. which has the same aluminum blocks and support as the 987. I have seen on P9 a flat attachment that had a set of 4 race wheel/tires attached to the top of this rack on a 987. Maybe 132 lbs will work on the HWY and more when you are parked. I pretty sure you will not bend the roof with the way the car is built. The rack base is very stable. Even with the smallish bolts that holds to 4 forged alu blocks to the roof. The same with the four bolts holding the towers to the blocks.

If you are camping with an overhang sideways over the door, there is plenty of engineering and support to hold you as you exit the tent and climb down via the latter. You can google the 996 roof sport rack showing the tent and its setup on top. Not sure how fast I would push the speed with the tent on top when put away.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Reactions: Proj_356_B

·
Registered
100 Posts
@996roadtrip in an interview he stated the roof can hold up to 600 pounds not moving, So I guess will see.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Keep us posted as another great application for our unique cars.

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
24 Posts
Great to see this thread coming back to life.

I'm actually very interested in copying 996roadtrip's setup on my '07 987 as I'm going on a 3000 mile road trip this coming April. Has any info been revealed about the SkyRise (Yakima's roof rails for the 987) and the SkyLoft being a good choice for this whole roof-tenting escapade?

I'm a small guy (~120lbs, full-interior weight reduction ftw :p ) and my partner is also not too heavy, but we still plan to get the medium size SkyLoft (~600lbs capacity). Do y'all think the 987's roof can take it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great to see this thread coming back to life.

I'm actually very interested in copying 996roadtrip's setup on my '07 987 as I'm going on a 3000 mile road trip this coming April. Has any info been revealed about the SkyRise (Yakima's roof rails for the 987) and the SkyLoft being a good choice for this whole roof-tenting escapade?

I'm a small guy (~120lbs, full-interior weight reduction ftw :p ) and my partner is also not too heavy, but we still plan to get the medium size SkyLoft (~600lbs capacity). Do y'all think the 987's roof can take it?
I think I am actually going to go with the Smittybilt Gen 2 roof tent it’s grey in color and it’s only about 1200 new. I’m a big boy I’m weighing in About 245 lbs so I’ll see how it goes lol 😂

1 - 20 of 45 Posts