Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
25 Posts
I'm inclined to agree. Thanks for all the info.

I'm pretty loyal to Rennline, so their spacers will do just the trick @ $85 a pair.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have used the Yakima system for 8 years, hauled surf boards, lumber, and of course bikes. One thing I like about the Yakima is its designed to snap/bend the bolts/bases made of plastic if you stupidly forget your bike is on and try to drive into a garage. Ive done it 3 times, tired twice and not thinking 1 parking garage where I misjudged the ceiling height and 2 different home garages. Its happens :). Not a scratch on the Cayman, but you need to purchase new Yakima "Landing Pads" if you do this as they are engineered to self destruct to save your bike/car. I'm afraid the "solid block" of the Porsche OEM unit will do some serious damage to the car.

The Windjammer is a must have attachment as its reduces the wind noise at least 50%

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think it will be the bike that takes the beating especially if its carbon fiber. You might as well throw that frame away as its usually cracked in many places that do not show. My wife did this to a Pinarello bike, had it x-rayed and 12 different stress fractures. Only one was noticeable. Insurance covered her error in spades as shown in post #11.

Back to this topic though, I would not trust the Yakima base rack supports with to support the tent application. The tent is torquing the support towers sideways with the stairs in place. Post #15 says the rack can support 600 when not moving, not a time for the Yakima landing pads to destruct as you will be stranded with a broken plastic roof rack support base in the backcountry.

·
Registered
377 Posts
no way should you use the Yakima rack with a tent, they are engineered to give way at a certain amount of force. Frankly I wouldn't dare use a tent on any Cayman, what's wrong with tent in a bag, on a tarp with an air mattress ON THE GROUND ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
no way should you use the Yakima rack with a tent, they are engineered to give way at a certain amount of force. Frankly I wouldn't dare use a tent on any Cayman, what's wrong with tent in a bag, on a tarp with an air mattress ON THE GROUND ?
doesnt look cool lol

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
25 Posts
Case in point. Looks amazing and brings amazing functionality to the car. In regards to space concerns; I need to be able to pack for 9 days for 2 people and over 3000 miles in my 987 as well.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts