Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
39 Posts
I'm inclined to agree. Thanks for all the info.

I'm pretty loyal to Rennline, so their spacers will do just the trick @ $85 a pair.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have used the Yakima system for 8 years, hauled surf boards, lumber, and of course bikes. One thing I like about the Yakima is its designed to snap/bend the bolts/bases made of plastic if you stupidly forget your bike is on and try to drive into a garage. Ive done it 3 times, tired twice and not thinking 1 parking garage where I misjudged the ceiling height and 2 different home garages. Its happens :). Not a scratch on the Cayman, but you need to purchase new Yakima "Landing Pads" if you do this as they are engineered to self destruct to save your bike/car. I'm afraid the "solid block" of the Porsche OEM unit will do some serious damage to the car.

The Windjammer is a must have attachment as its reduces the wind noise at least 50%

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think it will be the bike that takes the beating especially if its carbon fiber. You might as well throw that frame away as its usually cracked in many places that do not show. My wife did this to a Pinarello bike, had it x-rayed and 12 different stress fractures. Only one was noticeable. Insurance covered her error in spades as shown in post #11.

Back to this topic though, I would not trust the Yakima base rack supports with to support the tent application. The tent is torquing the support towers sideways with the stairs in place. Post #15 says the rack can support 600 when not moving, not a time for the Yakima landing pads to destruct as you will be stranded with a broken plastic roof rack support base in the backcountry.

·
Registered
376 Posts
no way should you use the Yakima rack with a tent, they are engineered to give way at a certain amount of force. Frankly I wouldn't dare use a tent on any Cayman, what's wrong with tent in a bag, on a tarp with an air mattress ON THE GROUND ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
no way should you use the Yakima rack with a tent, they are engineered to give way at a certain amount of force. Frankly I wouldn't dare use a tent on any Cayman, what's wrong with tent in a bag, on a tarp with an air mattress ON THE GROUND ?
doesnt look cool lol

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
39 Posts
Case in point. Looks amazing and brings amazing functionality to the car. In regards to space concerns; I need to be able to pack for 9 days for 2 people and over 3000 miles in my 987 as well.

Reactions: Gerry49

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
39 Posts
How was the trip?
Unfortunately, my car was totalled on Highway 35 in a California rainstorm accident due to snap oversteer and debris on the road. Got my insurance claim and am in the market for a 987 Cayman S now. Sorry to let the people who were looking forward to seeing the trip happen down. :((

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That's a major bummer. We were looking forward to your adventure using the roof top tent. 987 S is perfect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i was just thinking the other day, that i could do without (IMO) the roof rack support stuff. it would be soooo nice to see that beautiful roof without it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
hueyhoolihan, you really cannot see the roof rack flaps. All 911's have these as well, even the 2021's, so just be thankful that the 987 has them. It's an option that the 981 do not have. I use the Porsche roof rack supports for a carrier of my road bikes when I'm not tracking my car.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
39 Posts
That's a major bummer. We were looking forward to your adventure using the roof top tent. 987 S is perfect.
Thank you for your condolences, I miss the car dearly. I made a posting on the Classifieds but still haven't found the "perfect" spec. Looks like XPA is the hardest thing to find :ROFLMAO: - got offered cars fully optioned with extended leather, PASM, and SC, but no XPA!

Hopefully when the perfect 987CS comes around, I'll be making the rounds of the PNW on my University leave next summer. I see you're in WA, let me know if you want to make a stint of the drive with me ;)!

Here's how bad it was:

However, once the car went through insurance and got auctioned on Copart, a nice fellow in Lithuania reached out to me in early June saying that he bought my car (and found me due to the "Peaches" sticker on the back and the professional shoots I had done with the car) and has been restoring it to its former glory. He's collected a SY 996 Cabrio, my SY 987C, and is on the hunt for a SY 987B or 986S. What a small world!

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
39 Posts
Oof, that's a nasty hit - glad you're ok. I'm curious, what broke the rear suspension?
Accident is a little bit of a blur, but the road has a soft shoulder, so the rear control arm snapped when it dragged along the asphalt and dirt border when the car spun. Spin was initiated by some mud on the road mid-corner that completely slipped by me and a heavy rainstorm that I was driving in. Police report and insurance deemed it at fault as I was going 48 in a 45, but what can I do 😥. Traditional case of snap-oversteer that I was too unexperienced to correct and regret deeply.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Accident is a little bit of a blur, but the road has a soft shoulder, so the rear control arm snapped when the car spun. Spin was initiated by some mud on the road mid-corner that completely slipped by me and a heavy rainstorm that I was driving in. Police report and insurance deemed it at fault as I was going 48 in a 45, but what can I do . Traditional case of snap-oversteer that I was too unexperienced to correct and regret deeply.
I am super curious how they determined that you were going 48mph. Did they read that from the car?

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
39 Posts
I am super curious how they determined that you were going 48mph. Did they read that from the car?
Nope, was told to make a statement at the scene of the accident since it was a 1 car accident. I figured it would be better to be truthful than to lie but I paid the price.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Bud, Thank you for posting this great picture. Any stories about the use of the tent in the wild Any bears sniffing around the car at night? If you were in the western part of Canada, you maybe smoked out for a while. Some of it leaked into the Seattle area last week.

·
Registered
2007 987C 2.7L
39 Posts
Looks like a blast! Love the speed yellow! How was the trip? Any Cayman advice on the setup (suspension etc.)?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts