Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for those in the know ;)

Looks like I am going to have minimal time to install my roof transport bars (and bike attachments) when they come. Like, an hour... Is this do-able? Has anyone put the bars on before?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
329 Posts
Like, an hour... Is this do-able?
Yeah, like bmott says.

Very doable. I lay the stuff out next to the car; use appropriate care when aligning the pylons to the mounts. Each mount has two bolts that use an included hex key--one cross aligns the front and the other back. The bike mounts then on the cross bars. You will also need a flat blade screwdriver to remove some filler machine screws in the integrated roof mount points.

My empty roof bars do make a somewhat annoying wind noise around 34-37 MPH.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quick question for those in the know ;)

Looks like I am going to have minimal time to install my roof transport bars (and bike attachments) when they come. Like, an hour... Is this do-able? Has anyone put the bars on before?

Thanks,

Jeff
Mine are not as easy as they should be because the load bars do not want to fit down over the adapters which attatch to the roof. In order to get them to go on I need to loosen the internal load bar screws which hold the feet to the load bars. That gives them sufficient wiggle room to settle down over the adapters. Once the feet are tightened down onto the adapters I re-tighten the screws holding the feet to the load bars. I hope that wasn't too confusing. As I use a Thule bike tray and wheel holder which I have adapted to the load bars I can't comment on how easy it is to mount the bike components to the bars once they are mounted to the car. Good Luck.

Larry
Here is a pic of my bike mounted:

http://www.planet-9.com/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&subdo=images&id=1720#bottom

·
Registered
329 Posts
I ditched the plastic screws for stainless steel allen bolts.

jD
Good idea. You mean the originals with the flat blade slot that merely serve to hold the threaded area clear to the integrated mounting point in the roof of the car...? So the hex wrench works for everything.

I thought of that, but figured I'd have to get the stainless hex bits at a marine hardware store....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good idea. You mean the originals with the flat blade slot that merely serve to hold the threaded area clear to the integrated mounting point in the roof of the car...? So the hex wrench works for everything.
You might check your local Big Box store. My nearest Lowes and Home Depot have some stainless hardware.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I got a call from my dealership that the rack is in. I am going to pick it up on Saturday, but I guess this means that I'll have to put it on RIGHT THERE! Does anyone know what tools I will need?

I'll post pics once its up!

-Jeff

Edit: I guess just a flat blade screwdriver and some extra towels!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The allen wrench should be in the kit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shockingly, the box for the roof transport was tiny - and fit inside of the Cayman, so I didn't have to struggle with it outside on one of the hottest days of the year! Sadly though, I haven't gotten to test it. I just inspected my new bike rack attachments (x2) which I ordered new from a sponsor, but it appears both are badly cracked!

There goes my bike trip this weekend :(

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, they are Porsche Tequip. - the style where you leave the front wheel on. I'm just waiting for the dealer to respond to my email to see how we can resolve this issue.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yup, they are Porsche Tequip. - the style where you leave the front wheel on. I'm just waiting for the dealer to respond to my email to see how we can resolve this issue.
If you had it to do over, do you think the Thule 598 Criterium that I link out to are a good choice? The Porsche Tequip seem to be more expensive, and do look cool... But I can get the Thule's as above for less and they also seem to match to P-car elegance?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jim - my concern was that I did not want the hatch to be able to accidentally hit the trailing edge of the bike rack. I don't know for certain, but I thought the tequip. system prevented that...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I want to do the roof rack along with the carrier box and have the box color matched with my vehicle. I have yet to see this done on a Cayman. What do you guys think ? Yay or nay

·
Registered
329 Posts
I want to do the roof rack along with the carrier box and have the box color matched with my vehicle. I have yet to see this done on a Cayman. What do you guys think ? Yay or nay
Yes, but as mentioned by Jeff in the instance of the bike rack (which I did not think of by the way in the bike rack example), the cargo box will likely overhang the rear roof and impede the hatch. The borrowed one I have used did that...and I carried a towel to put on the hatch when I raised the hatch and could still use the rear trunk. The low roof height made it easy to access--nothing heavy up top though.

Currently, I am looking at getting my own cargo box, leaning toward the silver finish ones made by Thule and Yakima, with longer lower profiles so I can also get the bike rack on the car. Makes for more flexible usage of the Cayman--but others will find this gross messing with the lines and center of gravity the car somewhat treasonous. YMMV.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am totally into the idea of a cargo box, but I would get a short one that does not mess with the hatch. BTW, make sure you pack it well, or you will here things slide every time you touch the brakes...

Our friendly site sponsor is going to see what they can do for me on the broken racks and get back to me tomorrow!

-JB

·
Registered
329 Posts
...a short one that does not mess with the hatch. BTW, make sure you pack it well, or you will here things slide every time you touch the brakes...
Avoiding the overhang on the rear hatch was my thought originally regarding the Cargo Box, but in order to get more space than a "thule sidekick" size (682 Sidekick - Thule - Thule Cargo Carriers - Cargo Boxes For Roof Top Cargo & Cargo Trailers), I am now willing to let the rear and front overhang, and get a lower profile with respect to windage.

On the other hand, there is no way I want a bike rack to interfere with the hatch--as already mentioned...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts