Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2021 GT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone alternate tires right to left / left to right? Obviously can't rotate front to back on many models that have different front/rear tires. Thinking of how to maximize tread life on high performance tires (e.g. Pilot Sport 4S, P Zero, etc).

· Registered
1,494 Posts
When I was in the business, rotating tires was way more important. There was no laser alignment, our factory tool was a pole with incremental measurement hash marks and ends that slid in or out on each end of the pole. In the 70's you could see dramatic uneven wear. Suspensions were not as sophisticated as they are now, nor was tire technology, which is also a factor. On a Porsche? The tires will often get "Rodas" dangerous before you lose all the tread. My old tires looked pretty good when they were replaced, I can promise you they weren't. My cousin learned the hard way, spun his 986 because the tires didn't look bad but it's age and usage that needs consideration. Even on the Ford I stopped rotation. I could not see ANY uneven wear or difference in longevity, so I retired from that.

· Registered
62 Posts
I swap mine side to side since they are not uni-directional. Right rear wears faster than left. We also swapped my son's BS and found his right front also wore faster than left which also makes sense.

FWIW, on my other vehicles with same tire size I go through a typical rotation (front/back) and then next time a staggered rotation (LF/RR and RF/LR). Yes, a little over the top, but that is the engineer in me ;)

· Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone alternate tires right to left / left to right? Obviously can't rotate front to back on many models that have different front/rear tires. Thinking of how to maximize tread life on high performance tires (e.g. Pilot Sport 4S, P Zero, etc).
Air pressure, something as simple as properly inflated tires will prolong the life of them

· Registered
10 Posts
When I was in the business, rotating tires was way more important. There was no laser alignment, our factory tool was a pole with incremental measurement hash marks and ends that slid in or out on each end of the pole. In the 70's you could see dramatic uneven wear. Suspensions were not as sophisticated as they are now, nor was tire technology, which is also a factor. On a Porsche? The tires will often get "Rodas" dangerous before you lose all the tread. My old tires looked pretty good when they were replaced, I can promise you they weren't. My cousin learned the hard way, spun his 986 because the tires didn't look bad but it's age and usage that needs consideration. Even on the Ford I stopped rotation. I could not see ANY uneven wear or difference in longevity, so I retired from that.
The Germans do not rotate their tires, they say it’s negligible, serves no purpose. Proper inflation is the key

· Registered
13 Posts
I rotate the tires on my '22 CGTS from side-to-side. I track my car several times a year, and the left-side tires wear down faster because all the tracks I visit run clockwise. So after every ~2 track days, I flip the wheels from side-to-side. I always need to take a close look at the brakes and suspension anyway, and I flush the fluid 2x per year, so it's not a lot of extra work to swap wheels side-to-side. I'm still running the factory Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, but those will still need to be replaced before the end of next season even with the rotations (especially the rears).

For a P-car that is just street-driven, even one that is pushed hard regularly on off-ramps and on-ramps, it probably isn't justified to do the rotations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts