Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've picked up my 09 Boxster with Bose, I have discovered that the bluetooth only supports phone calls and not music streaming. DOH!

I'm contemplating going aftermarket with the aliexpress MOST adapter. If I do that I'd like to add a backup camera and xm radio. I see comments about people doing this but I can't really find any details about specific routing of wires... Notably it seems like getting the wire from a backup camera to the head unit might be tough, because there is an engine in the way. Is there a good way to route it to end up near the radio? Also how about the xm antenna? From searching around it seems like the best bet is to put it on the front cowling below the wipers with some heavy duty adhesive tape. Easy enough. But is there a good route to get that wire from the frunk into the cabin?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Now that I've picked up my 09 Boxster with Bose, I have discovered that the bluetooth only supports phone calls and not music streaming. DOH!

I'm contemplating going aftermarket with the aliexpress MOST adapter. If I do that I'd like to add a backup camera and xm radio. I see comments about people doing this but I can't really find any details about specific routing of wires... Notably it seems like getting the wire from a backup camera to the head unit might be tough, because there is an engine in the way. Is there a good way to route it to end up near the radio? Also how about the xm antenna? From searching around it seems like the best bet is to put it on the front cowling below the wipers with some heavy duty adhesive tape. Easy enough. But is there a good route to get that wire from the frunk into the cabin?
There are (apparently) routes from the rear trunk area into the passenger compartment, none are going to be simple, trim and carpeting has to be removed and pulled back... I am installing front and rear camera's and will be doing this soon, but work is just keeping me too busy! :( There are a couple or threads on the forum but none have a detailed route mapped out, more like start poking away and it will become obvious. When I get mine in I will detail a route others can follow, but don't wait for me! ;) Besides I am working on a 981 not a 987 so there may be some differences.

Musicars NW in Portland would be a great place to check with as they do hi-end installs on Porsches all the time, not sure how much information (trade secrets) they would be willing to share.

The long and the sort is it can be done, just don't expect it to take a few minutes, multiple hours for each is a minimum.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Can't help you on the camera wiring, but the XM radio wiring I can. I installed a PCM unit in my '16 CGTS that came with just the CDR-31 unit. I rant the XM antenna wire through a grommet in the front firewall below and slightly to the right of the battery, and mounted the aftermarket antenna on the plastic cowling beneath the windshield. I glued it to a big steel washer using silicone gasket sealant, and glued that washer to the plastic cowling the same way. I also ran a ground wire from the washer to a ground on the chassis to enhance signal from the SM satellites.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.