Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am trying to decide which one to go. My understanding:
1. It seems the brushed metal RS60 one has better, consistent quality than the Sports tailpipe (chromed).
2. Price-wise these two seem very close.
3. I am also considering PSE retrofit, does PSE include either tip? Or tip is not included.
Any comment is welcome, thanks.

Bryan

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi all,

I am trying to decide which one to go. My understanding:
1. It seems the brushed metal RS60 one has better, consistent quality than the Sports tailpipe (chromed).
2. Price-wise these two seem very close.
3. I am also considering PSE retrofit, does PSE include either tip? Or tip is not included.
Any comment is welcome, thanks.

Bryan
Two very different tips.
The sport tip bolts onto the end of the factory "t-pipe". easy install. does nothing for flow.
The RS60 tip replaces the t-pipe with a new single unit that looks like the character "Pi". Tougher install, but in my opinion it improves flow. Of note, it's the tip used on all of the Boxster's that surpass 300hp (RS60 and the new gen2 Boxster S'). The RS60 improves the sound as well.

Both can be used w/the sport exhaust.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Stiles-s. Exactly what i need to know. From cosmetic perspective I prefer the RS60 look cause the brushed metail looks more elegant, while Sport tailpipe's glossy finsih makes it really stand out.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
But if only going Porsche brand and willing to pay $500 on a exhaust tip, RS60 tip vs Sports, I'd go with the RS60 because it looks better to me, not quite sure about the teeth on the Sport Tip. But the bigger question is what Stiles brought up, how far are you willing to go for the install. The RS60 will require you to remove the factory T-pipe and is a lot harder than the 1 bolt clamp to remove the Tip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
But if only going Porsche brand and willing to pay $500 on a exhaust tip, RS60 tip vs Sports, I'd go with the RS60 because it looks better to me, not quite sure about the teeth on the Sport Tip. But the bigger question is what Stiles brought up, how far are you willing to go for the install. The RS60 will require you to remove the factory T-pipe and is a lot harder than the 1 bolt clamp to remove the Tip.
On a somewhat related note, I'd love to see someone dyno the following on the same car:
1) stock
2) dream1
3) RS60 pi-pipe

If the dream1 really adds 5hp, then I'd imagine the RS60 adds some HP as well. Regardless, it sounds really cool and looks great so I'm happy :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installation is not a problem since I will have local pro shop do it for me anyway. It is more for cosmetic. I prefer the brush metal look cause it blends better into the overall rear look (IMHO), the Chrome one simply stands out a bit too much for me. I dont expect HP gains but it would be nice to have.;)
Is Suncoast running a promo? I remember read it somewhere but could not find it...

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
On a somewhat related note, I'd love to see someone dyno the following on the same car:
1) stock
2) dream1
3) RS60 pi-pipe

If the dream1 really adds 5hp, then I'd imagine the RS60 adds some HP as well. Regardless, it sounds really cool and looks great so I'm happy :)
I plan to be doing mine.

I'm getting a stock base run done on my CS tomorrow on a dyno, w/brand new tires and an alignment done.

As soon as I receive my Dream1, I'll get that installed w/the Sport Tip, and get that done as well.

I wish I had an RS60 to do as well just for comparison.

While the stock and RS60's have a "T" and "Pi" style designs, the Dream1 is a smoother "Y" design, which should flow better, and w/less turbulance and back pressure.

The best way to measure would be to replace things while setup on the dyno, on the same run, w/o changing anything else, but that would be a little hard to do. Unfortunately there are too many factors that could effect the readings for such a low hp reading that the Dream1 may produce, doing it on different runs, on different days, but it is still interesting to check. 5 HP may be a possibility.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with what others have said about the RS60 tip possibly assisting with flow, but a few months ago I replaced my stock tip (2.7 square-ish tip) with an OEM sports tip I stumbled across on ebay. I must say it looks even better than what I thought it would. The shiny tips look great - they are solid and chunky without being too large - and have given the rear of the car a much more aggressive appearance... and of course it was a 5 minute bolt on. If you have a stock exhaust or PSE and are looking to improve the cosmetics of the rear of your car, then I highly recommend it..
By the way, you really cannot see the 'teeth' on the inside of the tips unless you are standing very close and looking for them - all you see is a brilliant looking exhaust tip that looks MUCH better than either of the standard offerings!

Update: I should have a new cat-back exhaust on the way in about 4 weeks so will be taking off the stock exhaust and tips. After the switchover I will probably advertise the sports tips in the classifieds and/or ebay, so if anyone wants to get in early send me a PM, otherwise look out for them in a few weeks. Happy to post to US or Europe, as I recently did with a couple of other Cayman bits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts