Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I completely agree.

For the possible turbo 4-less 718 Cayman GTS, turbo 4-less 718 GT4 and, especially so for Taycan Turbo S, the solution is simple. Act with extreme prejudice and debadge the poor thing.

Any "engineering/technical" company which built their success on engineering without peers that succumbs to marketing will not last very long. I do not need Wharton degree to say that. It is like an axiom - a self-evident truth. ;)

Finally, back to topic (kinda-sorta) ... If Porsche wants to push me to the limits of insanely irresponsible fiscal behavior, they will release NA flat 6 Cayman GTS. The only problem is that I still am very much in love with my current car. So, Porsche, it better be REALLY good. :)
FWIW, I have an immaculately maintained 2015 loaded Cayman GTS with the 3.4L flat 6 that will be for sale when I get my 718 Spyder

·
Registered
958 Posts
FWIW, I have an immaculately maintained 2015 loaded Cayman GTS with the 3.4L flat 6 that will be for sale when I get my 718 Spyder
Thanks. What I wanted to say is that I am not looking for Cayman GTS, but I might be unable to resist the song of NA 4.0 liter flat 6. I already know I cannot afford to run as I want to run an GT4, but GTS just might squeeze in with a lot of wishful thinking :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks. What I wanted to say is that I am not looking for Cayman GTS, but I might be unable to resist the song of NA 4.0 liter flat 6. I already know I cannot afford to run as I want to run an GT4, but GTS just might squeeze in with a lot of wishful thinking :)
In the same boat more or less. Figure I got 2 years to 'BudgetPlan' for it but if GTS w/ NA6 & PDK becomes available ya just never know what will happen. Otherwise might be waiting a year or 2 until some CPO GT4's w/ PDK start showing up. Waiting sucks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hanging out at my dealer today (annual service), the consensus was they are VERY focused on Taycan.

On the subject of fantasies, which much of this thread is: I would sell my soul for a GT4 Touring with PDK. Oh man. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
GT3 touring ?? isn't it

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I thought that I would provide a bit of an update from my readings on the net...

Regarding US/Canada, it appears that there are a number of individuals claiming that they have solid allocations for both GT4 and Spyder's, the interesting thing is that I have only heard about this in the US and none reported for Canada, also they are scattered about the US with no apparent pattern (no dealership names and I don't know the ordering history of the individual). Most of these were for April builds and June/July deliveries... but I have read of individuals contacting their respective dealer and being told that that dealer has no allocations or ETA's for them!? This is what my dealer told me a week ago, I need to go ask again this coming week.

As for the rest of the world, of course deliveries in Europe and the UK have begun, even reviews, and some report of allocations for Australia as well

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Still rumours of allocations in the US but nothing in Canada as of yet!

And I spoke to my dealer last week, no actual allocations and they are saying that there may be a 2 month delay now, they were thinking of April deliveries, that would make the newest date June! :(

·
Registered
585 Posts
They are already delivering in the UK, so doesn’t make sense really. The particulate filter doesn’t ‘have’ to be removed to come to the US.

Probably some trade tarriff nonsense or customs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
They are already delivering in the UK, so doesn’t make sense really. The particulate filter doesn’t ‘have’ to be removed to come to the US.

Probably some trade tarriff nonsense or customs

Not sure what part doesn't make sense, the why of the delay? That is the part they (Porsche) is not sharing...

As for the particulate filter, it was put in place for the EU 6 emission standard, but is not required for North America. However because it is part of the emission package the manufacturer has to disclose of it's inclusion as part of the emissions system or not. From my research the NA bound cars will have a modified version of the PF in place, one without the catalyzing material that is designed to trap then burn off the soot particles, essentially a flow through design. Perhaps because of the change Porsche made in this area they have to ensure the EPA (US) is on board and accepts that the correct system is in place. There were also delays with the Cayenne's, and the 992's earlier this year, everything that is coming from any subsidiary of VAG is under scrutiny by the EPA, it might be this?

Any way it gets sliced or diced, there still is a delay...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, I meant the delay.

I know why the particulate filter is there in EU cars. I just meant that it isn’t necessary to remove it to sell in the US.

Hopefully whatever they do in that area will be an improvement over the EU cars and not strangle it further.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, I meant the delay.

I know why the particulate filter is there in EU cars. I just meant that it isn’t necessary to remove it to sell in the US.

Hopefully whatever they do in that area will be an improvement over the EU cars and not strangle it further.

It is required to be removed (at least the effective part inside of it) because there's no sensors around it.
US regulations require any system that modifies emissions to be wired in for readiness / scanning through OBD-II - which does not exist there currently.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It is required to be removed (at least the effective part inside of it) because there's no sensors around it.
US regulations require any system that modifies emissions to be wired in for readiness / scanning through OBD-II - which does not exist there currently.
Ah, I didn't know that.

Got my allocation yesterday for a 4/4 build, so hopefully stateside by end of April. Had to give up the option of Euro delivery for an early slot though.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes, I meant the delay.

I can't speak for everybody, of course. If they wanted to sell that GT4 to me, they probably couldn't do it with PF. If that car sounded worse than my 981 Cayman S, no cigar. And, from what I did read from EU spec runs, chances are that it would sound worse than my 981 Cayman S (with PSE open).

Since here in US there is not a social stigma yet for enjoying a proper exhaust, there are many of us who put that aspect of an otherwise totally useless contraption to a very high place. And Porsche knows that, you can bet.

My $0.02 and worth probably even less. :)

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I can't speak for everybody, of course. If they wanted to sell that GT4 to me, they probably couldn't do it with PF. If that car sounded worse than my 981 Cayman S, no cigar. And, from what I did read from EU spec runs, chances are that it would sound worse than my 981 Cayman S (with PSE open).

Since here in US there is not a social stigma yet for enjoying a proper exhaust, there are many of us who put that aspect of an otherwise totally useless contraption to a very high place. And Porsche knows that, you can bet.

My $0.02 and worth probably even less. :)
That's OK, I'll take your allocation! :LOL:

I think that you will find that the North American cars will sound fine, if not great. And because where the PF is installed and since here it will have nothing to do with emissions it will be an easy one for the aftermarket companies to make a replacement for. :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
That's OK, I'll take your allocation!

I think that you will find that the North American cars will sound fine, if not great. And because where the PF is installed and since here it will have nothing to do with emissions it will be an easy one for the aftermarket companies to make a replacement for. :)

View attachment 265869
Sorry, I probably was unclear (again). What I meant to say is that I am probably OK with US version of PF, but certainly not with EU version of it.

From what I did read, PF will be modified for this market - as you pointed out, it will be easier even for OE to simply gut it out and make it free-flowing to PSE valve, rather than to physically remove it altogether.

That's why I appreciate Porsche not taking the road of what's good for the goose ... and so on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts