Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the usual problem of rusty bolts - shame to spoil nice wheels with rust!!

The Boothe Design chrome ones are nice, but very expensive and I don't particularly want chrome ones

Can anyone recommend some plastic bolt covers off ebay?

Another option is these refub'd ones off ebay - zinc plated heads - do you reckon these would be any good?

PORSCHE BOXSTER 996 997 WHEEL BOLTS on eBay (end time 20-Jul-09 20:11:44 BST)

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I have Boothe's on all my cars and can only recommend them. With the current exchange rate for the Dollar these really should not be that expensive. I also have zinc plated ones from ebay, they almost look like chrome. They will do the job but Boothe's are the best.

·
Administrator
34,450 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't go plastic covers that are going to trap moisture more and make the bolts rust even more underneath. Yes the Boothe Design Boothe Designs, Porsche parts and accessories, No-Turn Technology bolts are a little more expensive than the factory bolts, but they are like pieces of jewelry, they are top notch and aren't ever going to rust. Mine still look great after years of hard driving including track use.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Got the same problem with my gen 2 997! Not good when the car is less than 8 months old with 2700miles on the clock!
Email Boothe Designs last night for a full set including locking wheelnuts but they don't bother to reply (Don't think it will give me any confidence buying from them!)
I had checked with Design911 and they do a full set for £126+vat which is quite good value but I don't like having the logo on the bolt!
I guess I need to do some research tonight!
Some fellow enthusiast suggests titanium bolt---is that a good idea for a road car?

·
Administrator
34,450 Posts
Got the same problem with my gen 2 997! Not good when the car is less than 8 months old with 2700miles on the clock!
Email Boothe Designs last night for a full set including locking wheelnuts but they don't bother to reply (Don't think it will give me any confidence buying from them!)
I had checked with Design911 and they do a full set for £126+vat which is quite good value but I don't like having the logo on the bolt!
I guess I need to do some research tonight!
Some fellow enthusiast suggests titanium bolt---is that a good idea for a road car?
Andy,
You might cut Ralph some slack, he's in his 70's and didn't grow up with email, he believes in using the old fashioned telephone. :) He does eventually reply to email, but the fastest way to reach him is by phone. Please don't judge his products by the fact he isn't on email every 5 minutes. :)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Andy,
You might cut Ralph some slack, he's in his 70's and didn't grow up with email, he believes in using the old fashioned telephone. :) He does eventually reply to email, but the fastest way to reach him is by phone. Please don't judge his products by the fact he isn't on email every 5 minutes. :)
Yup, phoned him and was a pleasure to chat with after waiting day or two for mail reply, once I called in my order he mailed me the shipping info right away, great wheel bolts and was fairly prompt as well, so like K-Man said a little patience is worth it....:cheers:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I replaced the stock lug bolts on my CS with Boothe chrome ones & 5 mm spacers. They look great on the stock 18" wheels. First quality chrome too. I don't trust Ebay!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have been doing a lot of work on this subject
Stainless steel wheel bolt from Design911 is good vfm but stainless steel is weaker than mild steel.
Titanium wheel bolts from an Italian firm looks fantastic and weigh less than standard bolts. They are standard fit for F360CS. They are very expensive--$1000US+
FVD chrome wheel bolt are the cheapest but they stop manufacturing them.
This leave me with chrome wheel bolt from Boothe Design in America. Cost me $316 exc. shipping. I will post picture once my bolts arrived and fitted!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
HELLO!

The original bolts are zinc plated but rust due to dissimilar metal problems associated with other metals in contact with the bolts.
I suggest to take the bolts to a metal plater and get them plated yourself in Nickel or "Zinc passivate CR3" or something. Or even powder coat. No need to replace!
Actually I have the same problem and may do this myself if willing to not drive for a few days...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not as nice as chromed, stainless, or titanium - but I just painted the heads of mine (punched 20 slots in an old apple juice bottle, stuck the bolts in, and aerosol-painted them). Problem solved - with original Porsche material and heat-treatment - for $3.

Regarding stainless vs mild steel - some stainless steels are stronger than some steels - the OEM bolts are technically not 'mild' steel, but a higher-carbon steel. Not implying anybody's bolts aren't strong enough, just trying to clarify (at the risk of sounding pedantic).

I'm sure all of the above will work just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts