Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

A bit of a downer for a first post but I'm the new owner of a 2014 cayman S as of about two months ago and unfortunately I was rear ended over the weekend by a dump truck :(

I'd post picks but it would be depressing. I believe the damage is 100% cosmetic consisting of the rear bumper, active aero assembly, drivers tail light and it appears to have pushed my hatch door out of alignment. Anything specific I need to be aware of in terms of internal competent damage or specific things I should check? Any idea how long parts take to get typically?

Also anyone in the Dallas area have feedback on teh Park Place dealership bodyshop?

Thanks and hopefully she'll be as good as new in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sorry to hear. From my experience getting rear ended - if you have any injury at all, get a medical evaluation and consult an attorney. Get the police report. Don't sign anything from the trucks insurer. You may be entitled to injury compensation, property damage compensation including repairs, loss of use, and diminished value. Although the dim value is always a fight. Make sure Park Place or whoever is doing the repairs does a very close inspection for any mechanical damage -not just body work. My Boxster looked great after repair, but there was unseen damage to the exhaust bracket and it had to go back to the shop. Took 100+ days in my case and the at fault drivers insurance would only cover loss of use for 50 days. Best of luck

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Fixing it right means replacing internal parts. This tap on my front bumper...no metal damage at all, just what "appeared" to be a cracked bumper skin...ended up costing more than $9,000 to repair. There were interior brackets and other pieces that while not visibly damaged, need to be replaced once a hit has taken place. I have a full list of parts that were replaced: if you're interested in seeing it, PM me. BTW, the ONLY place I would have a Porsche repaired is at a Porsche Certified body shop. The shop I used insisted on using OEM parts ONLY, right down to the washers.

I have about 50 hi-res photos of the repair procedure, which along with the itemized invoice and the fact it was done by a Porsche shop, will be critical when showing a potential buyer down the road that it was fixed properly. Yeah, I know there are people who say they wouldn't buy a car that has had any body work done...well, in the real world, shi* happens. If it's repaired properly, it's no biggie. If/when I sell, anyone that has a problem with a minor repair can go be a freak in someone else's driveway. :taunt:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Damn, so sorry to hear about your car; glad you're ok.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. It may be that the unibody was damaged. The 981 body is made with aluminum and steel and can't be "straightened" in the usual way. The crumple zones if impacted need to be replaced. You will need to find a body shop that can work on this type of construction. You might check with your local PCA to get some names capable of this type of repair. Best of luck getting a proper repair.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Sorry to hear! Well, the Porsche certified shop should asses the real damage and frame state.

But if frame is okay, you'll have a great chance to upgrade taillights to smoked version, get rid of licence plate surround, and upgrade to GTS diffuser for almost free!

Hello everyone,

A bit of a downer for a first post but I'm the new owner of a 2014 cayman S as of about two months ago and unfortunately I was rear ended over the weekend by a dump truck :(

I'd post picks but it would be depressing. I believe the damage is 100% cosmetic consisting of the rear bumper, active aero assembly, drivers tail light and it appears to have pushed my hatch door out of alignment. Anything specific I need to be aware of in terms of internal competent damage or specific things I should check? Any idea how long parts take to get typically?

Also anyone in the Dallas area have feedback on teh Park Place dealership bodyshop?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ugh. Sorry to hear, glad you're ok.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Very sorry to hear. Hopefully a) you are completely ok, and b) the car has no structural damage and can fixed properly.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
i feel your pain.. it will be better soon after you trade her in for a GTS or GT4..
lemon
That's what I would do, obviously get as much as possible from the insurance company with diminished value. Getting into an accident sucks, especially when it's a Porsche, no one wants a Porsche with an accident history, minor fender bender or not. It ends up in carfax and everyone skips to the next used Porsche. There are a very few people who would take a chance on a Porsche with an accident, those who do usually get it for a killer deal.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That really suck!-Richard

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello everyone,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Park Place BodyWerks is an excellent repair facility as is Stuart's where many Porsche owners in DFW tend to take their rides when necessary. In fact, Stuart's is doing some paint work for a 918 with the liquid silver paint option now, so they're pretty solid....

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
My sympathies! Awful to get hit, awful to mess up a fine car, wonderful you weren't in a 914. You would have ended up under the truck. Great that you have a great car to drive and a safe one, too. It will get better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's too bad they didn't total it. I know that sounds rotten, but at least you're in a position to purchase another undamaged 981. These fender-benders are the worst, because you're tagged with the diminished value of the car when you try to sell it.

I'm glad you're ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the kind words. Waiting to hear back from the adjuster, hopefully it will be in the shop by next week and on the way to recovery. The resale issue is one of the first things I considered but I'm going to use it as an excuse to the SO in a few years to let me strip it down and keep it as a race car :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts