Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I said goodbye to my cayman last night. Got a new BMW 4 series M-sport. I've been a long time Bmw enthusiast but "there is no substitute" for a Porsche. I'll return some day. Hopefully sooner than later. I have a set of 18" base cayman wheels and tires with sensors if anyone is interested. I know they are not real desirable but would make a great winter set. Make me an offer...also have the original tail lights as I put the gts tinted on several months ago. I left the carerra classic wheels and taillights on the car. Sad sad day. Let me know if anyone is interested. I also have a gts book I received last month that is free to a good home.
Marrying my daughter off and didn't need to higher expense of the cayman. I'll be back hopefully sooner than later.

cheers guys,
-todd

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well I said goodbye to my cayman last night. Got a new BMW 4 series M-sport. I've been a long time Bmw enthusiast but "there is no substitute" for a Porsche. I'll return some day. Hopefully sooner than later. I have a set of 18" base cayman wheels and tires with sensors if anyone is interested. I know they are not real desirable but would make a great winter set. Make me an offer...also have the original tail lights as I put the gts tinted on several months ago. I left the carerra classic wheels and taillights on the car. Sad sad day. Let me know if anyone is interested. I also have a gts book I received last month that is free to a good home.
Marrying my daughter off and didn't need to higher expense of the cayman. I'll be back hopefully sooner than later.

cheers guys,
-todd
I'm interested in the wheels and tires. Can I ask what tires they are?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunlop sport maxx GT. Plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
image.jpg

Here they are.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I don't know the prices of BMW. But is the M4 cheaper than the 981? I don't see how it can waive 'the higher expenses of the Cayman.'

Best of luck with whatever you choose. Who knows, you could be back with a GT4 or a 981.2 soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy do I wish it were an M4...it's an M-sport 428i. The M4 they had on the showroom was $80,000 slightly used. I'd take the bare bones cayman GTS over the M4 for that kind of money.

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Registered
269 Posts
Did you need backseats or something?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Boy do I wish it were an M4...it's an M-sport 428i. The M4 they had on the showroom was $80,000 slightly used. I'd take the bare bones cayman GTS over the M4 for that kind of money.
Best of luck man. If the move to the 4 was more due to personal circumstances rather than your preference of the car itself, then I totally understand what you mean. Hopefully you could get back on to something you really want more down the road soon !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I average about 30k miles a year and the cayman was my daily driver. I do however drive my truck some.
Servicing was a bit pricey for my pocketbook and coming from a long time BMW past, serving is paid up to 50k miles and most of the time free
to me from my dealer. I've bought 7 BMW's from them. Still love the Porsche better though. The BMW is more affordable for me right now.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi Todd - BMW bought back my 335 m-sport with MPPK and MPE (BMW code for M-sport CPU and M-Exhaust), Adaptive M-Suspension, 6MT, plus M-performance decals (not installed) - last week!

It was a great car to drive with tons of torque and zip. steering was dead - as many that have reviewed the F30's. The most comments i got was - "is that an M3?" and "i love that color!" estoril blue - i thought it was a little gaudy...

My car was in the shop a good 6 weeks last year consequently we drove the 328, 328d, 428, 428d, 528 etc. all sorta blah to me.

I am glad to have a new Porsche - it was last minute, friend's brother owns Audi/Jag/Porsche of San Diego, so got a fantastic deal - I feel lucky.

The M3 i had configured and was about to pull the trigger on was $63,350 (iirc) with 6MT, sunroof and cloth seats. ordered - delivery was 8-10 weeks. Hard to justify with my 4.5 mile commute.

I hope you have a better experience mate.

And congrats on your daughter's marriage.

nice to see another Tennis'er - we are going to the BNP Paribas again this year.

G/L

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey G/L
Funny about your 335 Msport...that is what I traded in on my cayman. 2013 estoril blue M Sport with every option. I had all the open pore carbon fiber/alcantara installed on delivery plus all the M performance exterior parts. No performance upgrades....I ordered it and the first week I drove it home the tail light fell out when I closed my door. I repaired it myself with a screwdriver to bend the tab and a dot of super glue. I replaced 4 horns on it and started having cooling fan issues that were putting the car in limp mode often. It was a sweet ride but was ridiculous on the issues I was having so soon. I understand the nature of the beast (BMW) love it or hate it. It is what it is...I'm very impressed with the 4 banger so far. Still..."There is no substitute" for a Porsche. Here is my old f30 before I traded it.
Sweet about the BNP! I've coached tennis for 20 years! Love the sport. Played for university of Texas back in the 90's. I'm 42 now and it's getting harder to run with the young bucks! Lol

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bummer! I hope you enjoy the new car and get to go back to a Porsche soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts

cheers guys,
-todd
Has she considered an elopement?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I average about 30k miles a year and the cayman was my daily driver. I do however drive my truck some.
Servicing was a bit pricey for my pocketbook and coming from a long time BMW past, serving is paid up to 50k miles and most of the time free
to me from my dealer. I've bought 7 BMW's from them. Still love the Porsche better though. The BMW is more affordable for me right now.
Yep, service fees are not cheap for Porsches. As someone who has owned Porsches for over 40 years, I always advise my friends to stick with their non-Porsche if they enjoy their current car, because if they ever take a long ride in a Porsche, chances are they will no longer appreciate their existing ride. In my case I have often thought about buying some BMW or Audi model, but a test drive in either car convinces me otherwise. The Porsche drive is addictive, and it makes it hard to enjoy other cars in a similar price range, at least that's been the case for me.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
love it.

here's what went back to Bavaria

655F8426-5E78-4EF2-BC00-8025929B5D24_zpspemph3dg.jpg

7565de9d-0f4c-4ede-a236-b4b0feb23b83_zps2690d1ea.jpg

if audi offered a new S4 avant - i would have bought that. especially at friends and family pricing....

what i would say about service fees - good to have someone (shop) you trust.

yes we are super excited about the Indian Wells this year and frankly the start of the season.

Trying to keep up with my kids is not so easy any more - covering court sucks!

we all loved the 4 so much - its really a great looking and fun to drive car.

i ended up getting my boxster for the same price as a 428 so it was a done deal. getting my surfboard in it will be interesting...

Have fun,

Marc

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
I like BMWs. I've owned four BMW cars and more BMW motorcycles than I care to count. I even try to buy/lease a new BMW car every now and then but I always get a better deal at the Porsche dealership. I don't know why. The two dealerships are owned by the same person. Porsche just gives me more bang for the buck.

Enjoy your new BMW. They are great cars. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I ordered an M235i in July, when I realized I couldn't justify running up the miles in the CR, bought mainly for track. The BMW is a great DD, as fast as the CR during rush hour races, and a bit more practical. I didn't think I'd care about heated seats and more storage, but my wife likes them.
No comparison to the R, of course. That's why I'm first on the GT4 wait list. :banana:

I leased the F22, being a new model- that way, the repairs are on the dealer. It didn't hurt that the car was the only BMW on the Car and Driver Ten Best List this month. As many have said, it's very evocative of the E46 M3, only with a better transmission than the single clutch in the old M3. After paddle shifters in our GTI, A6 & CR, it was only logical that I'd go with them on the BMW.

YMMV,

John

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just wanted to drop a line for Todd being an awesome guy. He's sending over his GTS Roadbook along with a little surprise without even asking for reimbursement for shipping. Again best of luck with your new BMW, and congratulations to your daughter!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Danish for the very kind words. I'm so glad that I could do this for a fellow car enthusiast! Sold my 18" wheels to Dan Ike and I really enjoyed speaking with him on the phone. I could have spent hours talking cars! In a city populated at just over 1,000, there are not too many folks to car chat with. I have been enjoying the F32 for what it is...fairly quick for a 4 banger but numb numb numb just like my F30. Here is a photo the day after delivery. Thank you ALL for the info. and enthusiasm you share on this forum.
image.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts