Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved 07 CS. (161K Miles) had an AOS failure at 80+ mph on the highway..(apologies to those 10-15 cars behind me who were plastered by my smoke and oily mist)

Car gave me 2 "oil pressure low" warnings an hour before the failure..

I checked the oil and oil level was good.. Warnings went away.. but an intermittent loud screech returned..

Just before the full blow up, the screech returned

Car lost 1 Qt of oil (from what I can tell)

I have procured a new AOS from dealer but am waiting on a Breather hose to complete the job

DO NOT put this off.. get it done before it becomes a problem

Not a hard job even for an amateur like me, but all this paid could have been avoided.

trokyM5.jpg hHFQz24.jpg BqOl9fc.jpg wHD3O6Q.jpg zGEn4Bz.jpg B9VyL3W.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer. Hope you do not have too much trouble cleaning oil out of all the places its not supposed to be.
I am all done with the cleanup.. replaced air filter while I was at it.. MAY have to replace MAF but no codes while I was coasting..

oil was everywhere... any residue I can't get to will have to burn off on its own... Will replace spark plugs too but once I am sure the issue has been resolved

Just waiting on the crankcase breather hose to put everything back together

·
Registered
812 Posts
Desmotesta- You have one of the highest mileage M97 engines without a rebuild on P9. Any tips on how not to destroy your engine.

AOS, I had the same thing happen to me at a local autocross. I was a big attraction in the staging area as the fellow competitors thought I blew up my motor. There is a drag strip associated to the autocross track, so I made a few full gas runs to help clean out the oil from all the parts. Later that week, I had my shop install a Porsche MotorSports AOS. No issues after that with the AOS even running Hoosier A7's.

When talking to the install shop, they told me that the reason I oiled down my AOS was I had overfilled the oil sump, believing that I should have a full sump. Not so, according to LN, who made the deep 10 qt sump, I should have been running less than 1/2 the gauge or 2/3 qt less than max. I now run 2/3 of a qt low as per LN/Cantrell motorsports recommendations while using this sump with windage tray, even with the Porsche Motorsports AOS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the 'club' :(
Well I was driving my 06 CS MT & being pestered by a Jeep on a very twisty low speed road. Knowing that a sharp, near 270 degree, right uphill turn approached, I baited him a bit and let er rip! Hmmm he and the other 3 cars behind him disappeared! No, not from speed but from the mammoth cloud of smoke I produced. Coasted her into the quiky mart...could almost hear the sneering haha. Informed ahead of time thanks to P9, no panic. Put er all back together (inc plugs/coils/cats) and she ran ok but was giving me stumble about 5k and up. After having to buy a 5 point torx driver (tearing out some hair as I had 100's of bits/wrenchs/etc etc that wouldn't loose the damn MAF, using a mirror this I discovered) I then used the official MAF cleaning spray and voila! Never ran better. Just a heads up and good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the 'club' :(
I then used the official MAF cleaning spray and voila! Never ran better. Just a heads up and good luck!
Can you elaborate on the official MAF cleaning spray?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Desmotesta- You have one of the highest mileage M97 engines without a rebuild on P9. Any tips on how not to destroy your engine.

I honestly dont know what to tell you..

I bought the car with 142K.. previous owner babied the car and never drove it hard (claimed), over rev reports 0 over revs in any zone

I change oil every 5K like he did.. I use Castrol 0w40. (he used M1 all its life)...

I have Soul Long tube headers, milted exhaust and a tune.. I drive it hard 90% of the time.. but I never rev past 6000-6200..never.. there is no point (on streets)
I have a couple of motorcycles and straight-line "speed" is not what I have the car for...

Apart from not redlining, I am flat out and Full throttle most of the time..

I HOPE it can make it too 200K.. and judging bye how things have been going (apart from AOS) I have no doubt that I can get there

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to share that my baby is back on the road

After hours of cleanup, replacing AOS, Crank case vent hose and a vacuum hose... I was finally able to crank her up

Cant tell you how much I was cringing, feared for metallic sounds from engine etc

It seems to be a happy ending for now..

hope many more miles to go... Hard work DOES pay off... I feel like I was beaten with a baseball bat, but it was SO worth it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry for the delay...
"CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz" for example. Auto store or A%azon.
Mine has been perfect, perhaps even peppier, after the AOS fog and subsequent plugs/paks/cat refresh. Glad to hear you're running again!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay...
"CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz" for example. Auto store or A%azon.
Mine has been perfect, perhaps even peppier, after the AOS fog and subsequent plugs/paks/cat refresh. Glad to hear you're running again!

thank you..

Mine is hesitating on Full throttle. I did not change the MAF, didn't clean it yet either. Have no codes.. just hesitation

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: MAF had oil residue on it.. Cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner and all is well now

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, a simple question. I have a '14 CS with (just last weekend) 30k miles on it. Is there a recommendation for when to replace the AOS as part of some future maintenance to avoid a messy blow up (on-track or otherwise)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts