Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, one of my winter projects is updating the safety items for my 2006 Cayman S ... 20 DE events have been booked for the 2015 season with the PCA and I will be moving to the black run group from white. My 2006 Cayman is driven on the street although, not a DD.

I currently have the following safety items
GMG Roll Bar
Shroth 6 point harness
996 GT3 Seats
HJC Helmet
Fire resistant clothing, gloves ect ...

A HANS III device will be ordered soon along with the appropriate harness.

Here is where your input is needed. Should I consider switching to OEM GT2 seats with the integrated thorax air bags?

Curious what other members think about this change?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Given that you aren't DD'ing your car, missing out the airbags won't be a huge deal.

Airbags won't be useful on the track anyway. If anything, the 996 GT3 seats would be lighter than the 997 GT2 seats. Also the GT2 seats would cost you a bomb. I have them, and absolutely love them except for the price tag. I love how they look. However, from pure function point of view, I would just stick with the 996 seats.

Just my personal opinion only.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Given that you aren't DD'ing your car, missing out the airbags won't be a huge deal.

Airbags won't be useful on the track anyway. If anything, the 996 GT3 seats would be lighter than the 997 GT2 seats. Also the GT2 seats would cost you a bomb. I have them, and absolutely love them except for the price tag. I love how they look. However, from pure function point of view, I would just stick with the 996 seats.

Just my personal opinion only.
Agree with Zinger on the airbags. If you've got the bucks for GT2 or 3 seats - great. But there are a lot of other good options - check Recaro or Sparco

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Agree with above comments. Would add though that if you want to go a further step, suggest consider a halo seat instead of gt2 seats. The hans is essential with 6 pt harness and will provide protection in a frontal impact. A halo seat can also provide head/neck protection in a side impact. Visibility is reduced but there is a model (can't recall for sure, maybe a Sparco?) that has removable wings.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not much advice to add, however a real racing seat is probably of more benefit. Also, just want to note, nice to see someone focusing on safety.. sadly one of the last subjects typically discussed! I have Gt2 seats and yes they are great, but if you are really getting advanced, then the benefit is limited and a Halo style seat with HANS is a good way to go.

Hello, one of my winter projects is updating the safety items for my 2006 Cayman S ... 20 DE events have been booked for the 2015 season with the PCA and I will be moving to the black run group from white. My 2006 Cayman is driven on the street although, not a DD.

I currently have the following safety items
GMG Roll Bar
Shroth 6 point harness
996 GT3 Seats
HJC Helmet
Fire resistant clothing, gloves ect ...

Here is where your input is needed. Should I consider switching to OEM GT2 seats with the integrated thorax air bags?

Curious what other members think about this change?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback ... I agree safety can take a back seat to the quest for more power, grip speed ect ...

Seems like I have my bases covered, either seat will work for my situation. If I ever convert my Cayman to a dedicated track car full cage and a halo race bucket it is.

Not much advice to add, however a real racing seat is probably of more benefit. Also, just want to note, nice to see someone focusing on safety.. sadly one of the last subjects typically discussed! I have Gt2 seats and yes they are great, but if you are really getting advanced, then the benefit is limited and a Halo style seat with HANS is a good way to go.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good to have safety items checked off on the list first. In fact, the first time I spoke to my mechanic about putting the Cayman on the track, he only rambled on about 6 point harness, harness bar and seats, etc. And then he went on to talk about tires, brake pads and brake fluid. Substantial suspension + power mods seem to be very low on the totem pole for him.

Instead of telling me to buy all the power mods he has in inventory, he told me to go outside and put all the safety items in place first. I guess safety items aren't very sexy to talk about, while power + handling mods are.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agree wholeheartedly on the safety stuff. When my daughter started doing DE's with me 9 years go, she was the only beginner student wearing a HANS. My son has one too. And of course, I wear one. DE's or racing--the laws of physics are the same. I've actually seen higher speeds---and nastier accidents--at DEs that back when I was racing.

I don't like any air bags on track cars--I've seen them deploy under hard braking. And, since they are not needed with harnesses, I'd hat t have one deploying any accident--a huge mess. I would love a switch on the Cayman where I could turn mine off.

Terry

·
Registered
362 Posts
Most harnesses are "appropriate" for a HANS. Some manufacturers sell HANS specific harnesses with narrower shoulder belts in the harness area (2" rather than 3"), but this is not necessary. Some feel they are easier to use with a HANS, some not. No manufacturer or sanctioning body I am aware of requires them.

Assuming your current harnesses are in good shape, I would try them with the HANS before spending money on a replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts