Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See attached, anyone else having a problem like this with their 981 Cayman? Just noticed the other day while washing car. Tried to push it back up in place, no use doesn't stay. Was hoping it was just a clip that came loose. If anyone has experienced this and has a quick fix, please let me know. Its not that big a deal, I wouldn't have noticed until I opened the rear, just worried its a sign of more sagging in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have not had, nor seen, that issue. However, If I did I would take the car to Porsche even if it is out of warrantee. That headliner failure is just not acceptable on a 5 year old car. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
A common problem on all Porsches since .... forever. Good luck going for remediation from a dealer. Maybe if you hand-over your wallet to them often.
It will get worse. Soon, it will be so obvious as to be embarrassing if not dangerous.
The fix is to remove the whole inner shell and either buy a new one from Porches (same $hitty quality) or go to a good upholstery shop and have it reupholstered with a liner that lasts more than a few years. Actually this is much less expensive.
Note: what fails is the foam padding behind the liner fabric disintegrates. OEM Porsche stuff is designed to fail after the warranty expires. I had mine replaced a few years ago for less than $250.

Reactions: jhthornley

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and the advise on the 3rd party repair options. It does not seem to be the fabric separating from the padding, the entire headliner is intact, just sagging (with the stiff backing material)....strange. I'll try the dealer route, but I agree, doubt it will get me anywhere, we'll see.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the problem with my 2006 987 in 2015 - it occurred shortly after I placed an order for a 2015 CGTS - I think the car was pissed that I was going to trade it in. Anyway, I took it to an independent shop and they fixed it for around $250.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
From your picture, it doesn't appear to be the "normal" sagging, at least in my experience. It appears as though the edge worked it way out from under the trim piece for some reason. "Normal" sagging is when the headliner material droops away from deteriorating foam backing. You have nothing to lose by checking with the dealer first. If they won't do anything for you then search out a quality auto upholstery shop for what will hopefully be a fix versus a replacement. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
A common problem on all Porsches since .... forever. Good luck going for remediation from a dealer. Maybe if you hand-over your wallet to them often.
It will get worse. Soon, it will be so obvious as to be embarrassing if not dangerous.
The fix is to remove the whole inner shell and either buy a new one from Porches (same $hitty quality) or go to a good upholstery shop and have it reupholstered with a liner that lasts more than a few years. Actually this is much less expensive.
Note: what fails is the foam padding behind the liner fabric disintegrates. OEM Porsche stuff is designed to fail after the warranty expires. I had mine replaced a few years ago for less than $250.
I replaced mine on my 987.1 in an afternoon. Cost me about $20, but yeah, this is a common problem. Dont be that guy driving home from work with the headliner sitting on your head. I was, and it is not a good look. Pretty easy job.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the advise on the 3rd party repair options. It does not seem to be the fabric separating from the padding, the entire headliner is intact, just sagging (with the stiff backing material)....strange. I'll try the dealer route, but I agree, doubt it will get me anywhere, we'll see.
Do you have warranty or not? Sagging headliner on a luxury car is simply unacceptable. They should replace it.

If you don't have warranty... May be s strip of all-weather 3M tape will help gluing it roof?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Mine is worse, I swear I will never buy another Porsche again.
Unfortunately, this is not just a Porsche problem. I'm aware of Mercedes and even Audi having something similar happening. Perhaps it's a German car kind of thing, don't know. I'm not aware of any Japanese cars having this problem. While annoying, it's not enough for me to boycott any brand. And it's repairable on average in the $500 range so not the end of the world in my book.:cheers:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unfortunately, this is not just a Porsche problem. I'm aware of Mercedes and even Audi having something similar happening. Perhaps it's a German car kind of thing, don't know. I'm not aware of any Japanese cars having this problem. While annoying, it's not enough for me to boycott any brand. And it's repairable on average in the $500 range so not the end of the world in my book.:cheers:

Yes indeed not the end of the world but when you paid 80,000 F dollars for a car least you can expect is that the dam headliner is not gonna fall on your head after just 4 years of ownership.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Mine is worse, I swear I will never buy another Porsche again.
It's impossible to see anything in that picture, so still not sure what exactly the problem is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Quick update on my headliner issue (keep in mind, mine is not the fabric separating from the backing).....have not taken it to the dealer yet (FYI, out of warranty), but did do a weekend at the track and found that the issue got worse after each session on track, to the point where it was coming down on the passengers side as well. Seems the wind buffeting inside the car when on track is causing the problem (or one big contributing factor). Talking with my buddy at the track who also has a 981C and is not having the same problem I am, we were talking about the wind buffeting and he said the wind buffeting in his car is not as bad as I made mine sound. Difference wound up being he does not take out the trunk cover (piece attached to the trunk lid), but I do. Left it in for a run and buffeting was a lot less, and after pushing the headliner back up into place, it seems to have stayed. This could be all wishful thinking on my part, but was an interesting difference between someone that was having the issue and someone that wasn’t. Have not gotten the little triangular wind deflectors yet for the car, maybe i will now.

One other note...in the Technik Introduction Service Imformation for the 981 Cayman, it states the headliner is held in by clips and Velcro. Using the diagram in the manual I was able to feel around and push up where it looked like those velcro pads are and sure enough it held the headliner back in place, but I could hear a little Velcro separation after I let go. May be that all the track days and the wind buffeting in the car weakened the Velcro and I may need to replace or augment it sooner or later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't belive "this is a thing"; 2018 Panamera 4 e-Hybrid. My dealer has hinted to me that this is MY fault along with other quality control issues. This is my first Porsche and do not wish to spend a dime fixing something that should be covered under warranty.

-- Mike
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can't belive "this is a thing"; 2018 Panamera 4 e-Hybrid. My dealer has hinted to me that this is MY fault along with other quality control issues. This is my first Porsche and do not wish to spend a dime fixing something that should be covered under warranty.

-- Mike View attachment 265582
Like I said my 981 will be my first and last Porsche due to several quality issues such as these.

·
Registered
20 Posts
See attached, anyone else having a problem like this with their 981 Cayman? Just noticed the other day while washing car. Tried to push it back up in place, no use doesn't stay. Was hoping it was just a clip that came loose. If anyone has experienced this and has a quick fix, please let me know. Its not that big a deal, I wouldn't have noticed until I opened the rear, just worried its a sign of more sagging in the future.
Seems like a very common problem for many Cayman's. I have a 2014 Porsche Cayman with 7,050 miles on it and just the other day i noticed my headliner falling apart. According to Porsche they started using a friendly environmental adhesive years ago and likely the reason for this common problem. I had a Boxster before for over 12years so i wouldn't know. Anyhow, stuff like this is unacceptable. I've owned some pretty cheap cars before and never had cosmetic stuff like this just fall apart. For a $70 ride, not cool. I believe when they say it craps out juts after warranty expires. Now i have to find an auto upholstery shop. Seriously considering selling the car and going with the 2020 corvette. German engineering is going downhill.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

-- Mike View attachment 265582
Update: After many many months, my dealer referred me to a third party who glued the fabric back. Porsche picked up the cost which in my estimation was less than two tanks of gas. I'm happy that it was fixed and have to remember not to bump into the headliner when getting out of the car in the garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats great, especially if you still had warranty on the car. They should have not taken months though unless you were not in a rush. I am looking at $350 right now here in San Antonio TX.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats great, especially if you still had warranty on the car. They should have not taken months though unless you were not in a rush. I am looking at $350 right now here in San Antonio TX.
I just moved away from San Antonio never really saw any Caymans lol. I have a 2006 CS and the head liner is all the way down i have thumb tacks holding the liner up! I am actually considering taking the whole piece off and leaving the bare metal

1 - 20 of 40 Posts