Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just moved away from San Antonio never really saw any Caymans lol. I have a 2006 CS and the head liner is all the way down i have thumb tacks holding the liner up! I am actually considering taking the whole piece off and leaving the bare metal
Lol, definitely a pain to deal with and if someone doesn’t live in a big city with some competition it can be expensive. Looking at $315 to fix mine.
Supposedly contact cement is the best and recommended adhesive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
See attached, anyone else having a problem like this with their 981 Cayman? Just noticed the other day while washing car. Tried to push it back up in place, no use doesn't stay. Was hoping it was just a clip that came loose. If anyone has experienced this and has a quick fix, please let me know. Its not that big a deal, I wouldn't have noticed until I opened the rear, just worried its a sign of more sagging in the future.
I have a 2014 Cayman S and the headliner seemed to sag all at once. This occurred about three weeks ago. Porsche dealer wants $1,435. Local upholstery shop wants $600 to reupholster. Match with available materials wasn't quite right so we have decided to redo the A-pillars at the same time. I've never had this type of problem with any other car. I owned two Zs, the first for 12 years and the second for 16 years. This is very disappointing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That sucks, Porsche has really disappointed me with that problem. The shop that fixed mine said they have fixed many Porsche’s with that issue. Most places in San Antonio charge btw 350-500. $600 is a good bit. Surprised no one has taken this to some sort of settlement since its is 100% chance that it will happen after 4-8 yrs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree, there should be a lawsuit or Porsche should fix this, the sticky knobs and warping door panels. All bad materials being used for an expensive car. The sagging headliner is just bad glue. My car is garaged, rarley baking in the sun and there is little humidity in the So. Ca. Very fraustrating and a snub from Porsche.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lol, definitely a pain to deal with and if someone doesn’t live in a big city with some competition it can be expensive. Looking at $315 to fix mine.
Supposedly contact cement is the best and recommended adhesive.
Can you share where in San Antonio you get the Cayman Fix ??

·
Registered
104 Posts
That sucks, Porsche has really disappointed me with that problem. The shop that fixed mine said they have fixed many Porsche’s with that issue. Most places in San Antonio charge btw 350-500. $600 is a good bit. Surprised no one has taken this to some sort of settlement since its is 100% chance that it will happen after 4-8 yrs.
SA? Nice! I just moved from SA to Los Angeles

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Cayman and noticed the rear of the headliner is down about an inch at the rear. No cloth separation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m looking for a decent upholstery shop where I ca bring my car in San Antonio, TX. and the average cost of doing it. Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update on my issue, it was at the Porsche shop yesterday and they tried replacing fasteners etc but it wouldn't work so have suggested a new headliner...
Luckily, maybe, I bought it from Carvana and it listed the issue but saidit was fixed prior to me receiving it but obviously wasn't so they gave permission to have it fixed. Now the first attempt hasn't worked so I'm waiting to hear if they will now still allow the more expensive option to be persued. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well today I got in my Cayman to discover the passenger side headliner sagging down. Felt around the roof and it feels like it is missing the foam on nearly the entire center area and above driver and passenger seat. I can feel the foam though towards the back. Figures the Germans used some environmental friendly crap instead of something high quality. Car is always garaged but been living in AZ for a year now and it still gets hot in the garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update on my issue, it was at the Porsche shop yesterday and they tried replacing fasteners etc but it wouldn't work so have suggested a new headliner...
Luckily, maybe, I bought it from Carvana and it listed the issue but saidit was fixed prior to me receiving it but obviously wasn't so they gave permission to have it fixed. Now the first attempt hasn't worked so I'm waiting to hear if they will now still allow the more expensive option to be persued. Fingers crossed.
Never updated my issue. Well, it turns out that Carvana gave me a special "pass" and got the entire headliner replaced under their warranty. Wish I'd pulled them up about the door panels raising but I missed it when I got the car. Still, that's not an expensive fix.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Never updated my issue. Well, it turns out that Carvana gave me a special "pass" and got the entire headliner replaced under their warranty. Wish I'd pulled them up about the door panels raising but I missed it when I got the car. Still, that's not an expensive fix.
I'm glad they took care of you on the liner. I too have minor warping on the cards but can live with it for now. I'm hoping the tint I got installed helps some with UV and heat. This guy may be a cheaper route if you want yours fixed. TechnoPanel 2 (pedrosgarage.com)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who did you use in San Antonio to do your Headliner? Just noticed mine was sagging today.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The long awaited headliner sag occurred on my 2014 CS last week. I will be picking it up from the Porsche recommended (isn't that nice) upholstery shop this afternoon. $650 if they can color match to the A pillar color or $850 if they have to cover that as well.

The same thing happened on my 1984 F-150 in the early 2000s. In that case I just ripped it down and painted the cardboard backing. Clearly there is a difference in quality between an 80s Ford pickup and a 2014 Porsche headliner. One lasts longer than the other 😁

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
This Headliner sagging/Door Panel de-laminating is a real, real, real disappointing problem for a $70,000 automobile. I wouldn't buy another one knowing that small, unnecessary, nitpicking issues like these are most likely going to show up in a few years. I keep my cars up to 20 years on average and have never had issues like these--and my other cars were a heck of a lot less expensive than the Porsche. Well I am glad I got that off my chest. I feel better now.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can come to terms with a design or engineering flaw in a premium brand or product like a Porsche. In fact, it's inevitable.
But I admit that I find it very disappointing that the premium BRAND would even consider treating a well documented design flaw as something that can be the burden of the customer.

Or put another way, a brand like Porsche should be celebrated for being the kind of company that makes it very clear that THEY know that the headliner and door panel warping are on THEM. And that the customer can feel confident that they will have either issue addressed properly.

Once they start parsing the flaw as if it's NOT always THEIR failure, then Porsche is no longer any more premium of a Brand than any other brand that avoids accountability.

It doesn't mean that I don't love Porsche automobiles, but it DOES change the way I feel about the Brand. And for me personally, their product is worth le$$ literally to me.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's an interesting thing about the differing perspectives one can have on this.

I entered the search for a 981 knowing that the headliner and door panels could well need attention. But I also knew both problems are very fixable. I made the decision that buying a car with either or both of these issues would not be a disqualifying issue. In the end, I bought a car that did have both of these issues. I asked for and got a break from the seller for these issues. I've spent a grand total of less than $400 fixing the problems - door panels were a DIY job, so cost me nothing. Headliner was repaired by a local upholstery shop.

But, I don't give Porsche a free pass on this at all. It is pretty bad that they didn't test their adhesives properly in all the conditions the cars will see. A clear engineering and QA failure. I've never really bought into the myth of "German build quality". They should've owned up to this and repaired these sort of issues even out of warranty, but car companies don't often do what they "should".

Yet I still bought the car because it is fundamentally quite reliable and offers a unique combination of traits that I wanted that could not be found elsewhere.

Porsche's completely at fault here, for sure. Very low marks for them on this front. Those of you who bought these cars new have every right to be pissed off.

But it's still a cool car to own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my 2014 Cayman S back in mid 2019, since purchasing, I ran into two common issues that pop up on these forums. The squeak behind the dash (fuel tank foam/padding deterioration), and two, the sagging headliner. I just fixed the sagging headliner over summer 2021. Cost roughly $625 total, done by a local classic Porsche dealer/repair shop. They did excellent work and charged about 40% less than my local Porsche dealer wanted to charge.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts