Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trip planned to San Francisco May 2015. I'm staying in a hotel downtown area. Nice place. I'm not a geography buff however I do know that Oakland is a place I should stay clear of. I'll be going with my wife. I would like to drive in a rental car north towards Canada on the scenic the highway. Is that highway 101? If not do guys have any suggestions? I will need a rental from San Francisco so if you have any ideas that would be great. I'd like to cross the Golden Gate and see the jail San Quentin. Any other ideas guys/girls would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you want to drive the scenic hwy then you need to get on Hwy 1. After you cross the Golden Gate Bridge at Marine City you will see an offramp for Hwy 1 North. Take it and you will see views to die for after you come over Mt. Tamalpais. Hwy 1 goes all the way north to Leggett where it crosses over to Hwy 101 and continues on into Oregon. Hwy 101 is scenic in some places but is primarily an inland hwy.
Take the self guided tour at Alcatraz Island which you can get to from Pier 39, it is excellent.
There are so many things to see and do that it is impossible to list them all. My favs are the Alcatraz tour, Angel Island and Tadich Bar and Grill the oldest seafood bar and grill in The City. Great atmosphere and food.
Have fun and not all of Oakland is bad.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
BTW, San Francisco is one of the cities where one of the rental car companies, I think it's Budget, will rent a Boxster.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
BTW, San Francisco is one of the cities where one of the rental car companies, I think it's Budget, will rent a Boxster.
I rented one from Hertz there last year. Pricey but possibly worth it.

Reactions: Seinsmeld13

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yea that was it: Hertz. I was seriously tempted during my last trip.
I did it to be sure I wanted to buy one. It was a nice base PDK, a hoot to drive for a day. Now I have my own :grin: :burnout:

·
Noob
843 Posts
Hmm mid 2015...on your 1st drive if you want to enjoy the hwy 1 scenery, don't drive. Rent a Tesla with autopilot if you can and let it drive you while you take pictures / enjoy without keeping an eye on the road. Not to mention it will help you through bay area traffic more than any other car. Save the driving enjoyment for later after you have enjoyed the scenery. This of course assumes autopilot will be enabled by may.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The autopilot technology that Tesla unveiled is not a driverless car but more of the accident avoidance options that are already available on a variety of cars. I don't think that you will be able to just sit and snap pictures anywhere in the near future but driving those roads is part of the fun of the trip.

As to renting a Porsche, Hertz does have Boxsters, 911's and a variety of other high end cars available for rental in SF. They are, however, very expensive and I do not think they rent these for one way rentals if you were considering driving it to another location.

Anyway, as others have said, there is so much to see. Napa and Sonoma are only about 90 minutes north of the city and offer world class wines and dining. The coast drive is beautiful and never a disappointment. Yosemite is always worth a trip.

Enjoy the trip.

Reactions: Seinsmeld13

·
Registered
561 Posts
Lived on highway 101 for 4 years, traveled the 1 / 101 from LA to Oregon. IMO the most beautiful portion is from San Francisco south to San Simeon (Hearst Castle). For scenery, you can't beat Yosemite.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That would be near impossible to predict as the weather can vary in different parts of The City from foggy, bone chilling, cold to warm and sunny, to raining a few blocks away so bring and dress in layers would be the best advice.

"Sorry to go off topic, but I am considering visiting SF in February and was wondering what I can expect weather wise."

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Mark Twain never said this but weather wise it might be true - "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." As others have already said, be prepared for anything.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Mark Twain never said this but weather wise it might be true - "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." As others have already said, be prepared for anything.
That kind of reminds me of the weather here in the UK. :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
That would be near impossible to predict as the weather can vary in different parts of The City from foggy, bone chilling, cold to warm and sunny, to raining a few blocks away so bring and dress in layers would be the best advice.

"Sorry to go off topic, but I am considering visiting SF in February and was wondering what I can expect weather wise."
I was caught in those types of weather a few times there, started the morning cold and foggy and had to strip down to shorts and t-shirts in the afternoon. But SF weather doesn't compare to Colorado, yesterday was a prime example, it went from sunny and 64, t-shirt and shorts weather to 11 degrees by 4PM. A lot of people were caught off guard and nearly froze to death.

SF is a cool place to visit, the fisherman's wharf, alcatraz, golden gate, cable cars, Chinatown, etc. Might was well drive down to Silicon valley and visit Google, Facebook, Cisco if you are into that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can visit all the tourist traps, but in my opinion a leisurely cruise through the Tenderloin district offers the highest density of true SF "sights".
Have your camera ready!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think a "leisurely" cruise is possible in The City anymore as everyone seems to be in a big hurry to get somewhere and there's a lot of traffic. When I go in I rent a hotel room, in the area I want to visit, and walk or use public transportation. SF is a very walkable city and public trans is cheap and easy. Parking is difficult to find and expensive when you do. Parking violation tickets are expensive and handed out like handshakes at a political fundraiser.
You can visit all the tourist traps, but in my opinion a leisurely cruise through the Tenderloin district offers the highest density of true SF "sights".
Have your camera ready!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
BadToTheBox, thank you so much for your reply with help. I am recovering from a bike accident so I am unable to drive a car. The wife will be driving. I wanna drive outside San Fran and heard driving north is best. I hear Oakland is bad but thanks for your valuable tip/reminder. Cheers from Canada!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts