Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a number of people have had luck getting a color match off of their ash tray at Home Depot for sand beige interior and was wondering if anyone happened to have the color code details off of their mixture (a picture would be great)? Multiple store reps at my local home depot have told me the 697912143052 isn't a viable color code, which this happens to be the only reference I've found online to the color match people are using.

Also, I'm unable to use my ash tray for an accurate color match so that unfortunately is not an option for me.

If anyone happens to have this information it would be a great help....like so many others I have a handful of small blemishes that I would like to touch up as the beige paint has chipped. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
225 Posts
HOLY MOLY... I've been looking for something to repair the passenger seat on my 987.2. Its sand beige too. Its a small tear and in an spot where it isn't easily seen by others... but I see it... it sees me... and we just cast hateful stares at each other every time I'm in the car... it mocks me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
- will this paint work with the sand beige plastic interior?
- the link does not have sand beige, or maybe it is called something else. can anyone confirm which one is for Porsche sand beige?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Any suggestions on this would be great...I've had a tough time matching the paint, not sure if Porsche offered a touch up

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried the Home Dept color match method a few weeks ago. The color was still a little to light and visibility different. I think that I will get a slightly darker color and mix the two until I get a better match.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The color code from Home Depot was a GREAT match for my car in sand beige.

You need to tell the person at Home Depot (not any other store) to pull up the order and to match it exactly as formulated. It's not a color code, but an order code. Also, it works great for little chips but not so good for repainting. The latex is too soft.

Take it from someone that went to Home Depot 6 times trying to get a color match - that code is the closest by far. I just used that exact code less than 10 days ago. If they are hell bent on being so stubborn that they won't match it, it's Behr UL203 base with the following color codes: 384th / 134 / 5 / 63 / 133.

You put the paint in the chip with a little brush and then level it off with a foam brush. They can be had for a buck a piece or so. Buy a bunch of them because it works best if you are very sparing with the paint and use a dry brush.

I say get a bunch of them because my car had a bunch of chips and what I do is do two or three at a time, level with the brush, then rinse the brush in water and let it get perfectly dry before going for another round.

I only speak so confidently about it because I spent way more time than any human being should obsessing over a few (a lot of) small chips.

*Edit* It will seem a little light when applied, but let it dry overnight and it WILL darken.

·
Registered
27 Posts
20160621_005927.jpg

This is a pic from one of the door panel caps. There are two globs of that color on it. There are tons of little scratches on it from me lifting up other dots of color from other matches that weren't as close. The dob next to the obscured M is the closest I could get with my matching. The one off towards the top of the trim is the code you mentioned in the thread - it is a better match. I promise spending as much time as I did to get it closer is a waste of time and only you will be able to pick out areas that were touched up only because you know they were there to begin with.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That's a pretty good match. I've removed the trim before...would be nice to thin it and spray on a couple coats

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That's a pretty good match. I've removed the trim before...would be nice to thin it and spray on a couple coats
Is there a way to harden the latex finish? I've brushed and spayed (with this) and it looked pretty good. But it is so soft that it easily scrapes off with light contact.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there a way to harden the latex finish? I've brushed and spayed (with this) and it looked pretty good. But it is so soft that it easily scrapes off with light contact.
Like I said, very accurate to the original.

I resprayed a whole center console but ultimately decided to go with black to break up the monotony of the interior. Looked pretty good. The durability could be well improved with a few coats of matte primer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The color code from Home Depot was a GREAT match for my car in sand beige.

it's Behr UL203 base with the following color codes: 384th / 134 / 5 / 63 / 133.
PokerPot, I need some help here please. I took your Behr base and codes into THD and they didn't have a clue. They asked what size container to use and if it was too small then they said all the colors might overload the container. Any chance you can take a photo of the paint jar and post the pic? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need to go in with 697912143052 and tell the person at the paint counter to pull the order. "Hey I have an order number here, can you pull it and make me a sample."

If they have no clue, ask for their boss. I can't believe the incompetence going on at these Home Depots.

All you need is a sample size.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You need to go in with 697912143052 and tell the person at the paint counter to pull the order. "Hey I have an order number here, can you pull it and make me a sample."

If they have no clue, ask for their boss. I can't believe the incompetence going on at these Home Depots.

All you need is a sample size.
Keep in mine that those "sample" size containers are only available in satin - which still has too much sheen to match our flat interior paint. I had to get a quart - which is a lifetime supply.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like I said, very accurate to the original.

I resprayed a whole center console but ultimately decided to go with black to break up the monotony of the interior. Looked pretty good. The durability could be well improved with a few coats of matte primer.

Im thinking about doing a black center console in my sand Beige Boxster ...I have black carpet mats and want to give the car a bit more two-tone look.

mind posting some pics and mayne how/what you did? did you do console, e brake handle, ashtray and console cover?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not true (or perhaps your store didn't carry it). You can get sample size Behr Ultra Premium Plus in flat (the color UL203). It's Marquee that you can't get in flat sample size. If you get Marquee as the base with this code, the color will be off a little bit. I bought a quart of that as well, using the same color code and it was 15 bucks wasted.

20160626_010432.jpg 20160626_010420.jpg

You may notice my order code is different, but it's the same formula. They pull the formula from the original code and it creates a new order number (because it was formulated at a different store).

If any of you guys are getting issues, show them the picture of the jar that I posted and they will know exactly what to do when they see the label.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Im thinking about doing a black center console in my sand Beige Boxster ...I have black carpet mats and want to give the car a bit more two-tone look.

mind posting some pics and maybe how/what you did? did you do console, e brake handle, ashtray and console cover?
I like the idea of adding some black contrast to the beige. Besides the console, I get scratches in the key and light switch trim. Rather than painting, I've been thinking of just stripping them down to the bare black plastic, then wet-sanding lightly with a medium-fine grit to create a matt finish. I see no reason why this wouldn't work on the console. I think a chemical stripper would make that part easy. Then, no more worries about scratches. Just a light sanding and good as (or better than) new.

I've used this sanding approach to clean-up scuffs on my door sill. I have a tendency to drag my hooves while stepping in/out. This made the scuffs disappear.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not true (or perhaps your store didn't carry it). You can get sample size Behr Ultra Premium Plus in flat (the color UL203). It's Marquee that you can't get in flat sample size. If you get Marquee as the base with this code, the color will be off a little bit. I bought a quart of that as well, using the same color code and it was 15 bucks wasted.

View attachment 105841 View attachment 105849

You may notice my order code is different, but it's the same formula. They pull the formula from the original code and it creates a new order number (because it was formulated at a different store).

If any of you guys are getting issues, show them the picture of the jar that I posted and they will know exactly what to do when they see the label.

i live abroad, could you help me buy one and send it to an address to california? they will send it to me. will pay via paypal.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts