Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had a picture of a cayman with a sand beige interior and deviating upper dash in black. I like the beige interior but think that it might produce too much glare on the windshield. I know that the 997 has a bicolor black/sand beige option but I don't think that's available on the 987s. I've seen a picture of the 997 treatment and was wondering how it would look if just the upper dash was black, possibly with black deviating carpet. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I've not seen this in a Cayman, but you are on the right track. I've had mine w/ the full Sand Beige interior for three years, and there is way too much glare in the window from the beige dash top. The only way to kill it is to wear Polarized sun glasses.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I'm not surprised that there would be quite a bit of reflection. That's a pretty light color for right next to the windshield. The problem with trying to pick a cayman interior is that the dealers only stock the common ones such as black, beige and grey. Anything a bit different is almost impossible to find on an actual vehicle that you can see in person. I'm hoping that I can at least see a picture. Thanks again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You are correct about the light color dash reflection. My 930 has a full cork color interior and the reflection on the windshild is noticeable with the right sun angle. I ordered my CS with terracota interior - including the dash - somehow there is no reflection at all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always wondered why porsche doesn't make the dash on caymans with a sand beige interior a darker version of beige that would go well with the light beige rest of the interior. I suppose its a matter of cost and its cheaper to use the same shade throughout. I currently drive a saturn sc-2 sport coupe with a light tan interior. The dash is a medium brown that has virtually no windshield glare and matches well with the rest of the interior. I paid $19,000 for this car in 1995. Can't help but wonder how saturn can provide a suitable color for dash at a much lower selling price than the cayman and why porsche can't fit it in to their budget given the high price for the car.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There is an earlier post that says yes, but the suggestion was to orfer replacements in black.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am actually having my dash and other interior sections done in Alcantara now. I opted not to utilize black because in my opinion the contrast was too much against the Sand Beige and cheapened the overall appearance of the interior. After much deliberation I decided on a charcoal gray. With respect to the defroster sections and speaker grills; they remove fairly easily and in my case I am finishing those with matching paint. I'll post a few pictures once the interior is completed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the contrast between the black and the beige in the photos. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to address the problem of the glare from the upper dash area on the windshield. I'm wondering why the choice was made to do the lower dash in black instead of the upper dash. Thanks for posting the pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's some pics of Terracotta with black upper dash and black carpets; it's not Sand Beige, but it will help you get the idea. And yes, it does cut down on the glare on the windshield. :cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like that very much. It really gives a nice contrast with the terracota and goes well with the deviated carpet option. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Here's some pics of Terracotta with black upper dash and black carpets; it's not Sand Beige, but it will help you get the idea. And yes, it does cut down on the glare on the windshield. :cheers:

I like that very much. It really gives a nice contrast with the terracota and goes well with the deviated carpet option. Thanks for posting it.
I agree - this looks great, but it doesn't solve the glare problem - if you replace the terracotta shown in these pictures with Sand, you still have the 3" or so of the dash that's next to the windshield in beige, which is what makes the reflection on the inside of the windshield on sunny days. I've been driving in all kinds of conditions on the road and on track with the full leather Sand interior for more than 3.5 years, and I personally think the reflection issue is overblown - it's really only noticeable on very sunny days, and I got used to it pretty quickly. Like others I had polarized sunglasses anyway, which eliminates the reflection.

brad

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a good point. There still is the matter of the 3 inch strip between the upper dash and the windshield being beige. Is there an option to have the upper upper dash or whatever that 3 inch strip is known as in a deviating color? If not, it would be good if there was an option for a black and sand beige bicolor interior like there is on the 997s but I guess as a "lesser porsche" that choice is not offered for the cayman. Kind of a shame about that.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
That's a good point. There still is the matter of the 3 inch strip between the upper dash and the windshield being beige. Is there an option to have the upper upper dash or whatever that 3 inch strip is known as in a deviating color? If not, it would be good if there was an option for a black and sand beige bicolor interior like there is on the 997s but I guess as a "lesser porsche" that choice is not offered for the cayman. Kind of a shame about that.
I think to get what you're looking for - which is not offered for the Cayman anyway, you'd have to pony-up and have it done through the "exclusive" section - which means a longer wait and more cost than even a leather-to-sample order. But, if you have the time, money and inclination, anything is possible.

brad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, you'd have to order that strip covered in leather, and then the deviating color would apply to it as well. The $$$ start to really add up then.

I can tell you, though, that the 3" strip is really not a factor for glare. The reflection off it is right into the base of the windshield, and that's not where your eyes are looking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would also suggest that the "glare issue" is a non-issue from my experience.
I agree with Santa Fe. There's definitely a reflection...but it's really not an issue.

It is a little surprising that Porsche hasn't addressed it, given their attention to detail...but I don't think it hampers my driving or presents a safety hazard. It's only visible under specific conditions...when there's more light coming from above than there is straight ahead...or when the "angle of incidence" of the light is just right. It's never visible at night. For me, it's most noticeable just as I pull out of the garage (the driveway is sunlit, the garage is in shade). Most importantly, even when the reflection is visible, your eyes are focused way past it on the road ahead.

I also had a BMW with a black dash. That reflected on the windshield, too... under the right conditions.

I can tell you that the only time I even think about it are those rare times when I let a friend take the wheel and the conditions are right for them to notice the reflection and say something about it.

I would probably choose the sand color again...even with the reflection. There 's also a thread with a link to a manufacturer who makes a black replacement of the vent panel, which I may consider...but for aesthetic reasons...not safety ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts