Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Sand Beige vs. Black on a Carrera

7K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  DaveC 
#1 ·
I am torn between a non-full leather car (Black) vs. a car with split full leather (sand beige/black). The Sand Beige car has black on the dashboard, and the rest is Sand Beige.

I live in Vancouver, so very wet city (like Seattle), and I am hesitant how difficult it's gonna be to upkeep a sand beige interior, specially the carpets at the bottom of the floor, and on the bottom of the doors.

Is it that hard to keep clean?

I can get both cars are pretty much the same price... any opinion is appreciated

White Ext + Sand Beige/Black full leather VS. Meteor Gray + Regular Black (with Alcantara bits)

Thanks!

#3 ·
Re: Sand Beige vs. Black

In my personal opinion, Black/Sand Beige two tone leather interior is by far one of the nicest interiors Porsche has to offer. I have only seen one on a Carrera S cab with Guards Red Exterior, and it was gorgeous. On the configurator, you cannot select this combo however I am sure that you order/special order in some way for the Cayman.

I think White or any of the other the following: Guards Red, Cream White, Black, Basalt Black Metallic, or perhaps Ruby Red Metallic would do the trick for the Black/Sand beige interior for the Cayman.

#5 ·

In my personal opinion, Black/Sand Beige two tone leather interior is by far one of the nicest interiors Porsche has to offer. I have only seen one on a Carrera S cab with Guards Red Exterior, and it was gorgeous. On the configurator, you cannot select this combo however I am sure that you order/special order in some way for the Cayman.

I think White or any of the other the following: Guards Red, Cream White, Black, Basalt Black Metallic, or perhaps Ruby Red Metallic would do the trick for the Black/Sand beige interior for the Cayman.
To expand on that point and address your original question...as long as you keep up with Sand beige on a weekly/bi-weekly basis and take proper care, it should hold up just as well as anything else. As others have pointed out in past posts, pen-marks, certain stains/marks will be well-hidden by a black interior where the sand beige will show them. You just have to be careful. I had a sand beige interior and I really liked it and it was easy to keep clean. The only drawback to the full sand beige that I saw was that I did get sick of looking at the beige steering wheel all of the time (hence why I'm a little biased towards and excited about the black/sand beige combo). To me it's the best of both worlds, black dash and steering wheel that to me are nicer to look at while driving, and tan seats and carpets that stay cooler in the summer. Topped off with black floor mats.

Between your choices, I vote for White over Black/Sand Beige, though I'd make sure that getting the two tone interior with the cayman doesn't mean you get the black inserts on beige seats. I would see an application on a 911 and ask the dealer to order the interior in that configuration.

#6 ·

You should go with whichever you like better, though personally I hated not having full leather in my previous car.

The black carpets on my Cayman were easier to take care of then the lighter red ones I have now in the 911, I suppose, but the black carpets faded a bit under where my feet would work the pedals which was fairly noticeable.

However, it's not that hard to clean the carpets.. Stains come out pretty easily with the right cleaner. Speaking of which, the vinyl parts with standard leather are much easier to maintain (so is Alcantara) than full leather, which requires a little more work which should be another consideration.

If it's a major concern, you could always invest in Porsche Rubber Floor Mats.

But.. Here's what I think. When you buy something like a Porsche, wouldn't carpet maintenence be one of the lesser concerns? hehe.

Just buy whichever color combination you find most attractive. Carrara White/Black & Sand Beige full leather is very chic. If that's the look you want, go for it. Meteor Grey/Black standard leather with Alcantara sounds more sporty.

#7 ·

Or, go with black/beige cocomats and the black/beige bi-color interior. I installed black/red cocomats in my RS60 as I was getting paranoid about getting the red mats dirty.

#8 ·

I'd go with the two-tone. You could change out the carpet AND mats for black pretty readily, and have a really sharp combo.

#10 ·

Totally torn... :(

Not sure if White/sand beige is too feminine or not, my GF thinks it is... I think it looks cool though! Can't post pics as my work doesn't allow FTP to upload, maybe later. White also has better options.

White: Full leather two tone, adaptive sport seats
Gray: Power seats, Alcantra inlays, alcantra steering, alcantra shifter/handbrake

The white one is like 2K more. I think I'd regret not going all leather at a later time, albeit the beige could be a bitch to keep clean!

Decision, decisions... :crazy:

#12 · (Edited)

I have a 2008 C with white exterior and beige interior with matching color carpet. I'm also in Vancouver! :) It would be a chore to keep the carpet prestine especially in the rainy weather. I've found a small size beige carpet/rubber floor set match with cover part of the floor where your feet usually rest. It actually blends in pretty well and not very noticeable. The interior is actually beige with kind of a gun metal color scheme and not black. I like it because it stands out and is quite unique. I have received quite a few compliements.

Just noticed that your scheme is black rather than gunmetal grey. Oh well. Btw, my steering wheel is beige also and like the other member said, it stands out quite nicely.

#13 ·

The Carrara White with two-tone Sand Beige/Black sounds like a one-off. It doesn't seem to be the type of combination you'd find in normal dealer inventory. Perhaps it was special-ordered by someone who decided not to take it. In any case, it is a wonderful and highly unusual combination. If the options are also more to your liking---grab it! 987f

#14 ·

I agree, the white one is a rather unique car. The Cayman looks great in white, and the black dash negates what some people think is the downside of the tan interior - the dash reflection. I think it might be wise to ignore the girlfriend on this one! Full leather...full leather...full leather...

#15 ·

I'm missing something here....how do you get two tone Sand Beige and Black? Every car I have seen has either full black, full red, full sand beige. The only "bi-colour" option is black and stone grey with the centre of the seats and bottom of the dash/carpeting in Stone Grey. I'm talking here about a 2010 order.

I would love if I could get say, the seats in Terracotta and the rest in Black. Is this possible or is this an exhorbitantly expensive Exclusive option I have not found yet....?

A full Terracotta or Carrera Red interior is just too much.

#17 ·

Your options are limited only by your imagination and your budget! 987f

#19 ·

I think the black dash with sand beige is a nice combo. For me, the toughest areas to keep clean are the door handles and the steering wheel (if in sand beige as well). Using leather cleaner on the seats every few weeks keeps them both clean and the leather soft.

#20 ·

As the proud owner of a 2009 White Cayman with a sand beige and black interior, I can say that it looks really sharp. Of course, I'm not at all biased ;)

4K miles in, and the interior has been easy to keep clean. The trick is to not let the dirt set in... I vacuum, wipe the door handles and steering wheel each week. The big surprise is that, with the black carpet, road dirt, pebbles, etc. show up immediately. Most of that stuff is light or neutral colored. A gray carpet probably hides dirt the most.

Anyway, here's a photo....

#21 ·

As the proud owner of a 2009 White Cayman with a sand beige and black interior, I can say that it looks really sharp. Of course, I'm not at all biased ;)

4K miles in, and the interior has been easy to keep clean. The trick is to not let the dirt set in... I vacuum, wipe the door handles and steering wheel each week. The big surprise is that, with the black carpet, road dirt, pebbles, etc. show up immediately. Most of that stuff is light or neutral colored. A gray carpet probably hides dirt the most.

Anyway, here's a photo....
Hey, that's almost exactly the same color scheme I got except I have the same color carpet and map pockets on the side. :cheers: Great choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.