Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Cayman GTS with PCM. Has Sirius/XM satellite radio option and had been working fine since I took delivery 5 years ago. Recently, I noticed that SAT no longer appears as an option under sources, the weather/sports/stocks info screen is gone, and the Traffic button yields no results.

Everything else seems to be working fine, it's just the Satellite Radio option that has gone AWOL.

I pulled fuses (right panel, upper 4 fuses) hoping a reset would help, but no joy. Not sure I got (all of) the right fuses or if I needed to wait longer.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
2015 Cayman GTS with PCM. Has Sirius/XM satellite radio option and had been working fine since I took delivery 5 years ago. Recently, I noticed that SAT no longer appears as an option under sources, the weather/sports/stocks info screen is gone, and the Traffic button yields no results.

Everything else seems to be working fine, it's just the Satellite Radio option that has gone AWOL.

I pulled fuses (right panel, upper 4 fuses) hoping a reset would help, but no joy. Not sure I got (all of) the right fuses or if I needed to wait longer.

Ideas?
Have you renewed your data package? Porsche is charging for streaming data through ATT.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean. My subscription with Sirius is current. There is no means to even select SAT radio anymore. A radio with a lapsed subscription would still play the Preview channel. I can't even select SAT radio.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulling fuse on PCM did not resolve this problem for me. Dealer says PCM control module needs to be replaced for $3100. I said no. Emphatically. Barely 5 year old car and this thing fails? At least it's just SAT radio and not the whole audio system.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sorry, but isn’t there a separate satellite radio receiver box somewhere? I don’t have sat radio, but I think it is not part of the PCM itself.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can only go on what the dealer told me. No idea if it's accurate or not. But does seem crazy to have replace PCM just for this reason. Not worth it, I'll do without Sirius in the Porsche.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I can only go on what the dealer told me. No idea if it's accurate or not. But does seem crazy to have replace PCM just for this reason. Not worth it, I'll do without Sirius in the Porsche.
The sound quality by bluetooth streaming music using a phone app such as Amazon music, Pandora or others is far superior to the crap Sirius sound anyway and is completely free. The track buttons on the PCM will also work and advance the songs. I dropped Sirius years ago as the playlist for the different Genres of music I was listening to on satellite were better and all the same artist I was listening to anyway, but I'm in control of the songs now.

I guess the traffic features, talk radio, ect may be a loss if that was what you were using it for, but for me it was just the music that mattered so Im better off now than I was paying for the old and outdated Sirius business model. I'm actually quite surprised they are still in business as they are the "Cable TV" of the music world and everyone has moved to streaming now. Their product was super cool many years ago before smartphones but is unnecessary today. Maybe that's why they won't allow you to cancel without calling them so they can harass you for 15 minutes trying to talk you out of leaving at every renewal. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to cancel online like every other modern service provided today

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I completely agree that the content is, for the most part, easily replaceable. I will miss some Sirius exclusive content, but not enough to pay for a new PCM. However it is still distressing for something like that to fail particularly in light of the cost to repair.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I completely agree that the content is, for the most part, easily replaceable. I will miss some Sirius exclusive content, but not enough to pay for a new PCM. However it is still distressing for something like that to fail particularly in light of the cost to repair.
My PCM failed within 4 months of buying my 2014 CS. Luckily replaced under warranty, but yeah no way I would pay that price for a piece of hardware that was already behind the times when new, much less today. You could have it properly replaced with something aftermarket with modern features for that kind of money

My latest over engineered Porsche item to fail for no reason is one of the dynamic transmission mounts since I have the Sport chrono option. Failed for no reason over a year ago at about 18,000 miles and is a $1,500 part before labor. Its either stuck in the soft or firm mode, I dont know which but it works normally so I have just been ignoring the warning at every startup as it kills me to have to shell out nearly 2K for something as ridiculous as this. The same issue has been reported on the 911 with its active motor and tranny mounts, some failing within weeks of purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, just bought a 2013 Boxster base without Nav. I just determined it is a CDR-31 unit. I'm trying to add the satellite radio, the Sat button does nothing. Is there a module that needs to be connected?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Curious if the Sirius XM app as the same tinny compression sound that the sat radio has. I never bought sat radio because that tinny sound is extremely annoying to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ideas?

Ideas?
i have 2013 boxster and same thing happened to me; 1 day the sat icon disappeared and never returned...i tried everything,but contacting the dealer.....i settled on steaming the sirius app thru the car speakers and it works pretty well...just a little more challenging changing the stations. if you choose favorites it’s much easier to change them when driving....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts