Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Bacus Tops Opening Cayman Interseries Practice In Hot and Humid Conditions at the Savannah Historic Races

Bacus Leads Tight Field As Competitors Endure Trackside Temperatures Over 100 Degrees

SAVANNAH, Ga. (June 11, 2010) – Jim Bacus set the pace in opening Cayman Interseries practice at the Savannah Historic Races on Friday where competitors and race fans alike endured extremely hot and humid conditions throughout the day’s three timed sessions on the challenging Savannah Harbor Race Course on Hutchinson Island.

Driving his colorful purple and green No. 3 Cayman modeled after the famous “Hippy” Porsche 917LH, Bacus ran competitively in Friday’s pair of opening sessions before setting the fastest lap of the day in third and final practice. Despite ambient temperatures in the mid-90 degree range, a heat and humidity index that soared to 105 degrees and trackside temperatures pushing 102 degrees, Bacus managed to turn a quick mid-afternoon lap time of 1:26.506 to top all comers on the 1.965-mile Savannah road course. Bacus won his first Cayman Interseries race in Savannah last year.

“I like this track and it reminds me of Autobahn, my home track near Chicago, but with a great Turn 1 sweeping turn,” said Bacus, who is looking for his first 2010 win this weekend. “It’s a fun track to race at, really. I knew I had a quick lap within me, there was just some subtle things I had to work on in the last session of the day. I have been this fast before around this track, so I just had to work into it. It is really hot and the track is a little greasy, but it was really a fun day. We decreased our times all day long, the car is working really well, and I want to thank the crew for working in this heat. I am feeling great about this car and it really came off of the truck solid.”

Bacus just edged David Heinemeier-Hansson who clocked in at a close 1:26.519 in final practice for the second fastest lap of the day in his No. 1 Cayman S that is themed after the famous Rothmans Porsche 956 and 962 race cars.

“The car started out a little wobbly but we tuned it throughout the day and now it’s running awesome,” said Hansson, who scored his first Cayman Interseries victory in the enduro at Road Atlanta two races ago. “It’s definitely hot down here, though, so it will be interesting to see what kind of times we get in some earlier sessions tomorrow, and I can’t wait to get my cool suit on.”

Lee Davis is the only Georgia-based driver in Cayman Interseries competition this weekend and was quick in all three practice runs in his No. 333 Cayman that carries the livery of the Advan Porsche 962s and Luna C Clothing. Davis finished third in both sprints in his debut race weekend at Road Atlanta and backed those showings up with a season-best second-place finish with Ryan Eversley in the enduro one race ago at Road America. His morning practice lap of 1:26.560 was the third fastest time on Friday and just a tick slower than Bacus and Hansson.

“I think this place has the potential to be great,” said Davis, who is making his first appearance on the Savannah track. “We have run down in Miami before in the summer, which is similar to this heat, but that is part of the challenge. The car feels great, the track conditions change in the heat, and that is going to be the key. When you go out in the morning on stickers that is going to be way different than used tires in the afternoon, and you are just going to have to change with the conditions.”

Debuting Cayman Interseries driver JC France was fourth fastest on Friday with a lap time of 1:26.686 in his baby blue and orange Wyer/Gulf Porsche 917-themed Cayman. France races the No. 20 Gulf Cayman in tribute to the car Steve McQueen drove in the movie Le Mans. His lap was also the fastest in Friday’s second practice. Ed Lane, in the No. 15 Cayman modeled after the yellow Sandeman/David Piper Racing Porsche 917K, completed the top five with a lap of1:27.613 from the morning session.

Saturday’s Cayman Interseries schedule features morning qualifying and double-header sprint races at 1:45 and 4 p.m.

Created, owned and operated by Napleton Porsche, the Cayman Interseries is open only to 2009 and 2010 Porsche Cayman S models that are raced in near-stock configuration by a competitive group of emerging drivers that typically own the cars they drive. A heritage connection comes in the form of each Cayman’s livery that has a direct and visible link to a legendary Porsche race car from the past. Only in the Cayman Interseries can you see modern interpretations of such famous Porsche race cars as the Wyer/Gulf, Martini and Salzburg 917s, the Al Holbert Lowenbrau and Miller High Life 962s, the Jagermeister/Kremer and **** Barbour Racing 935s, the Bob Akin/Coca-Cola 935 and 962 and so many more.

Each Cayman’s throw-back color scheme is also matched up with a corresponding Cayman chassis number, which means the rich history of some of the most memorable Porsche race cars to ever hit the track will symbolically continue with an all-new chapter in the Cayman Interseries. Napleton Porsche is the exclusive supplier and preparation shop for the Porsche Cayman S race cars used in the Interseries.

ABOUT THE CAYMAN INTERSERIES
Established in 2009 by Napleton Porsche of Westmont, Illinois, the Cayman Interseries is North America’s only auto racing championship featuring the exclusive use of the 320-horsepower Porsche Cayman S. Sanctioned by Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR), the Cayman Interseries is conducting its first official season in 2010 and will crown a pair of champion drivers in both the sprint and endurance racing formats. Races will be run on legendary circuits such as Daytona, Sebring, Road America, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta and other premier venues. Every competing Porsche Cayman S is exclusively supplied and prepared by Napleton Porsche and each car competes with an assigned and specific heritage livery themed after a famous Porsche race car from the past. Learn more about the Cayman Interseries at Napleton Motorsports. Phone calls direct to Napleton Porsche may be made at (630) 725-0911 and email inquiries can be sent to [email protected].

CI-10-15

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.