Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question that I did not see in my pre-post search: I am getting a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 18 inches for my 06 Cayman S. Will one of the 235 front tires on a Ebay Boxer rim serve as a spare and fit in the rear of a Cayman S? WIth no dealers within 120 miles, I'm a bit leery to drive without a spare of some sort.
OC Garza
Victoria, Texas

·
Registered
688 Posts
Assuming it is an 18" front wheel from a Boxster, it should. I'm basing this on the space saver spares from earlier Boxsters and the 235 tires my Cayman came with.

Not definitive, though.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I will research further...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You can get a spare tire kit from Suncoast Parts. A bit pricey at 1100 plus shipping, but depends on what peace of mind is worth I guess. Not sure, haven't tried but I don't think a 235 18 tire/wheel will fit in the rear, I doubt the hatch will close.

Reactions: ocgarza

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming it is an 18" front wheel from a Boxster, it should. I'm basing this on the space saver spares from earlier Boxsters and the 235 tires my Cayman came with.

Not definitive, though.
Did find quite great threads about a spare and thought this might be of interest on the "fitting" of the Boxster spare:

Originally Posted by DaveN007
Might be a silly Q, but I thought 17 inch wheels can't clear the S brake calipers?

Am I wrong?

The 17" spare works fine on the CS. The clearance issue with stock 17" wheels is not due to diameter (wheel hitting side of brake). Clearance problem is due to offset (wheel hits front of brake where Porsche logo is).

The spare has offset so that it fits fine both front and rear. It also fits in both front and rear trunks...

I leave mine at home for typical travel around the city, take it along for track days and touring, when I am more worried about losing a tire and needing to limp home.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Save front 18" tire for a spare?

Not sure, haven't tried but I don't think a 235 18 tire/wheel will fit in the rear, I doubt the hatch will close.
Search - been fully discussed several times. I have tried it - years ago. The front 235/18 will fit in the rear of a 987 Cayman with the hatch closed. However, the clearance is tight, visibility is limited, and it's not a very good long distance travel plan.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts