Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
34,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Haven't donated yet because I just don't understand this at all. If the Cayman driver was insured, where is his insurance company? If the company won't pay to the extent of his coverage, he can sue. It is a miserable thing to have happen, no doubt, but something does not add up here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
His insurance company did pay for the car but in doing so the insurance company then owns the car. You can buy it back from them at a salvage price, that's what the current campaign is for. Hope that helps clear it up for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
His insurance company did pay for the car but in doing so the insurance company then owns the car. You can buy it back from them at a salvage price, that's what the current campaign is for. Hope that helps clear it up for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I had some unconnected dots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
if his insurance did pay for his car, plus the first donation which is 25k. he can easily buy another 06 kman with just couple thousand more. not saying that the 25k from the first donation, he can easily buy the new 981 cayman base. or 987.2 kmanS. with this kind of "other party at fault " accident. all lawyers are willing to Help ( $$$$ they can get from the accident ). why there is a second donation.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Re: Uninsured/Under-insured coverage

Unless I read this wrong don't you mean "protect against those" who drive underinsured?

Personally I am dumbfounded that so many US states allow people on the road with such poor coverage amounts, if you can't pay for proper coverage you shouldn't be on the road!

Correct UM/UIM coverage protects the insured against un-insured and under insured drivers and riders.

The likely design of getting any $$$ from the rider is doubtful. My wife had a similar situation while on her motorcycle. The at fault parties insurance paid the max on the policy $10,000 Property and $25,000 medical that was it. Anything over that would have to come from the rider in a civil suit. Blood from stone concept. He'd file bankruptcy etc.

Likely no extra money available limits are paid on the policy.

As a result, rider has no $$$ to give, so I assume that is why there is this fundraiser.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts

He is making him money via youtube videos, most likely through a corporation, but I guarantee you that he has mixed the funds and a good lawyer would be a able to pierce that and get a judgement on current and future income. People that "stupid" on the outside are always making financial mistakes that intermix funds between the corporation and personal funds, rendering the insolation between the two null. Anyone that purposely doesn't have insurance (which by doing what he is doing, he can't get it) if fair game and I would not give up.

·
Administrator
34,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

After this money buys back the salvaged car, who is going to get it?
That depends on who wants to rebuild it, myself or the new owner. We are still waiting on the info from the salvage yard / auction company for when the car is coming up for auction.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The front end of the car destroyed by the bike-riding moron had a clear "v" indentation in the middle of the car, reaching within a foot or two of the firewall. That appears to be a different yellow Cayman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've asked Ken to follow-up to be sure, but unless its an identical twin, down to the exhaust system, the engine, the suspension and the interior plus gauges and mileage, I think this is the car. VIN is WP0AB29806U781896.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts