Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Incurable Gearhead
948 Posts
Re: 911r

I'm in love with this thing. No giant wing out back! So clean. Imagine it without the stripes...

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

Even if you have the money, you wont get one. The 918 guys got first crack at it again. All sold out.

...of course I am making an assumption that you don't own a 918. :)

·
Banned
550 Posts

Even if you have the money, you wont get one. The 918 guys got first crack at it again. All sold out.

...of course I am making an assumption that you don't own a 918. :)
Well, they only made 918 918s... and supposedly they are making 991 of these... and at least one person on Rennlist has two 918s...

·
Registered
294 Posts

So how long before they make a Cayman R with a flat 6 N/A? And if they did, would it slot in above or below the GT4?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

I bet the GT3 buyers also get special consideration on the R, just like a lot of them stepped to the front of the GT4 waiting lists, like the 918 buyers. In fact, I bet a bunch of those same guys make the move from their GT4 to a 911R. There could be some more GT4s coming onto the market because of the 911R.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Cool. That left top menu trick was disabled for a week. I thought they plugged that hole but now it's back.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

I'm in love with this thing. No giant wing out back! So clean. Imagine it without the stripes...
I agree. It's subtly gorgeous. And the 6-speed box really cinches it (Frankly, I think this is an admission that the 7-speed was a mistake and am very impressed that Porsche was humble enough to admit it).

While I've always greatly admired the 911, this is the 1st version that I've ever truly fallen in love with. Holy moly, what a car!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm guessing that there will be someone who complains in the forum about not being able to order one of these because their dealer has given them all to privileged 918 owners :hilarious: and the current waiting list is too long!
Yes, I think I will complain. I would suggest that bylimiting production to an arbitrary number, a very small one at that, Porschehas only fuelled the demand for what would have already been an oversubscribedcar and a total sales success. In claiming that they ‘listen’ to theircustomers, and built this car for ‘the purists’ I find somewhat insulting. Theyknew full well that demand would exceed 991 units worldwide, and so all theyhave achieved in doing is to satisfy some already very privileged people whilstharming the integrity of their brand. If they were truly building these fortheir customers, for the purists, they would have built far more. Did FerryPorsche not say, ‘Our cars are meant to be driven, not polished’? How many ofthese do you think will end up getting driven on a regular basis?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Baby got back

Agree with Boris911, that we are limited to Porsche's marketing ploys and it should be made available just like the regular 911 models...

·
Banned
550 Posts
Yes, I think I will complain. I would suggest that bylimiting production to an arbitrary number, a very small one at that, Porschehas only fuelled the demand for what would have already been an oversubscribedcar and a total sales success. In claiming that they ‘listen’ to theircustomers, and built this car for ‘the purists’ I find somewhat insulting. Theyknew full well that demand would exceed 991 units worldwide, and so all theyhave achieved in doing is to satisfy some already very privileged people whilstharming the integrity of their brand. If they were truly building these fortheir customers, for the purists, they would have built far more. Did FerryPorsche not say, ‘Our cars are meant to be driven, not polished’? How many ofthese do you think will end up getting driven on a regular basis?
I agree with everything you've said. I wouldn't turn down the car if someone gave it to me, but I can't get excited about something I'll probably never see in person, let alone have a chance to drive or own. I don't see it being worth more than the regular GT3 (even with the +5% power increase from the RS engine), but Porsche's line of reasoning is making it limited will "justify" the $50k price increase over the regular GT3, despite the fact that it will almost certainly have less overall performance. This car is truly the epitome of "less is more" but not really in a way that completely favors the customer.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Limited edition=fail.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Gentlemen, I seek your help.

I have my name on the waiting list for the coming GT2 RS, and a friend for the 911 R. The dealer is saying that the 918 owners don't get the priority advantage here in Saudi Arabia, since this is applicable only in North America.

Is this true?

Does that mean 918 owners in Europe, China and elsewhere other than North America don't get the advantage of being on top of any list?

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hassaan,

UK allocations will be by 'invitation', that's standard practise on such limited models. My US dealer told me that 918 customers would have first choice and that he expected some of them to end up disappointed. As a current GT customer I have zero chance of an allocation (his words, not mine). Interestingly it was the first time the dealership expressed the same anger and frustration at Porsche's production numbers that us enthusiasts regularly express. As I said earlier in the thread, Porsche are damaging their brand with such policy.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts