Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a great little article about it on Jalopnik: "Track Night In America" Is Like Happy Hour For Track Rats

Anybody here participate? I'd love to hear an opinion or two with regards the nuances between this and say a PCA DE.

I'm hoping they're as well run, but am concerned about the meathead factor.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just did an SCCA track day last weekend and had a blast. The PCA had an event at the same track the day before but unfortunately I wasn't able to make that event so I cant really tell you difference. I will say the SCCA was very safety oriented. I assume they would run the track night the same as the track day. Your first few times you have to go out with an instructor and that keeps everybody from being stupid. Its free to go and watch if you just want to see what it is all about.
here is some video of that day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiICRmD3dRw

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
it must be scary doing a DE at night! i have never done it .. but its fast enough for the car to come up on you on daylight.. wow..must be a blast..

lemon

·
Registered
848 Posts
They're going to be running one in our region. The big problem is the region's track (ThunderHill) is about 3 hours from here. It takes a lot to temp me to go up to Thunderhill, and trying to get there for four in the afternoon on a weekday isn't going to do it. But then I'm not the target audience. There are people who live a lot closer and have never done track before who'll be much more suited.

There's not much interest in the people who I know around here.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Over the last two seasons, I've partipated in Thursday Track Night's at the Milwaukee Mile with the SCCA.
Course is most of the track with an infield road section.
I liked the organization so much, I joined.
SCCA has self tech, allows me to drive top down.
Sessions start at about 4pm, so most is in daylight.
There is the 'meatball factor' but the SCCA is very vigilant and I've seen 'Corner Bombers' promptly ejected.
I'm leery of heavy US Iron brakes and watch real closely those who can come up behind me to avoid being rear ended.
Otherwise is a mix of Track Rats and weekend warriors.
I's close for me, 45 min and relatively inexpensive.-Richard

Reactions: Laaaaaaaaapis981

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I haven't done Track Night, but I've done SCCA DE's. They teched the cars, safety was emphasized, the instructor I had was great, and they gave a lot of advice about setting up cars.

·
Registered
107 Posts
SCCA is trying a new on-track event this year and I finally got around to putting together a short video based on the June 9, 2015 Track Night in America event held at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, Texas. The idea seems to be working in bringing drivers new to track events out to experience their own cars in a safe, fun, and non-competitive environment. It's not meant for hard-core PCA Club Racers (or SCCA, NASA, etc.), but for those of us who want to visit a track on a week-day and drive our Boxster in a spirited manner, this seems to be an event worth checking out.

This video gives a taste of the driving from my 2014 Boxster S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts