Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the 5 minute mark of this video.

Are there monster speed bumps like this where you live? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
That's ridiculously low !!!

Lower than the GTS, right?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, definitely lower than GTS. But look at the end of the video where they demonstrate the scraping sound with a plastic lid on the road. Maybe we were fooled??

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I've seen them around.

I suspect it was cost that made them not catch on but someone invented a speed bump that worked by exciting the natural frequency of the suspension. They were several feet wide but if you were going the requisite speed pretty much invisible. No dragging. If you went to fast the car would bottom out. There may have been other issues. Don't know.

Did he almost stall the car starting from a dead stop there toward the end?

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Check out the 5 minute mark of this video.
The approach angle is 6 degrees. How can it not scrape? Nobody seems to care about that.

This guy didn't approach the ramps from an angle but him them head on. Bad idea.

Sure. I see those speed bumps all the time, vice the thin but higher ones. Maybe its a new trend. They are "calming" meant to slow traffic down to a crawl. They put them in dense residential areas, maybe a bit less wide than those. Driveways are worse.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wow that Wouter guy is a first class A-hole. He kept finding roads with those speed bumps just so he can demonstrate the "scraping" over and over agin? I doubt he would have done that if it were his own personal car. That guy does not deserve to drive any press car.

I was glad when Casper swooped in there and stole the GT4 from him.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Wow that Wouter guy is a first class A-hole. He kept finding roads with those speed bumps just so he can demonstrate the "scraping" over and over agin? I doubt he would have done that if it were his own personal car. That guy does not deserve to drive any press car.

I was glad when Casper swooped in there and stole the GT4 from him.
On top of that he doesn't know how to drive low cars or is trying to make a stupid point. My 997 looks lower and I have no problems driving it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Those speedbumps were rather high.

When I get mine, I might look into adjusting the car back up 5mm just to clear the roads I drive through on a daily basis. I had a 987.1 lowered by 25mm vs standard passive suspension, and it seemed fine everywhere I go. The 987.1 with an aerokit should have even a longer nose overhang than the GT4.

I find going through speed bumps at an angle a bad idea. Going up/down ramps at an angle would make more sense. The car doesn't get more room through a speed bump at an angle. If anything, going through speed bumps at an angle just creates more wear on the car's chassis.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I find going through speed bumps at an angle a bad idea. Going up/down ramps at an angle would make more sense. The car doesn't get more room through a speed bump at an angle. If anything, going through speed bumps at an angle just creates more wear on the car's chassis.
I wasn't talking about the normal speed bumps you see in parking lots. These are more like driveways, with an extended middle. They are become more prevalent, not in parking lots, but in roadways, like this video. They are used to slow down traffic in highly dense residential areas. If the approach angle is more than 6 degrees, the car will scrape. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_calming See Speed Bumps: 4 Tips - JeanKnowsCars.com Look at the pictures.

I see a lot of people just don't care. They drive fast up their driveways and scrape every day.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Was a stupid part of the review.

If you buy a GT4 or any relatively low car - you should know that it may scrape...if you are surprised by this, you have more dollars than sense!

There are lower cars out there - part of ownership pros/cons. It is not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

Changing your habits/perspective goes with the territory of owning a lowered car (approach bumps at an angle, view the front spoiler as a consumable, understand that you may one day have to repair damage)

Reactions: Ochocoronas

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had problems scraping my Cayman S, but I have solved it by adding a front end lift kit. Not generally available for the 981, but third party manufacturers are willing to modify 981 coilovers (a prerequisite) like the Bilsteins and the remainder is identical to the 991. Porsche should offer it standard on all their sports cars, but I am sure it adds weight, and for the GT4 at least, weight is an issue.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The GT4 and GT3RS also scrape going through the 'Ring carousel in that recent video floating around. Scrape, scrape... scrape, scrape...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, definitely lower than GTS. But look at the end of the video where they demonstrate the scraping sound with a plastic lid on the road. Maybe we were fooled??
srsly everyone, THIS.

nothing's being scraped here except P9's sanity being trolled by dutchmen

·
Registered
948 Posts
A tank of Premium gasoline = $60,

A new spoiler lip = $252,

Driving a street legal race car = Priceless. :)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
A tank of Premium gasoline = $60,
A new spoiler lip = $252,
Driving a street legal race car = Priceless. :)
Make that 6 USD only, for premium fuel tank here :taunt:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
From GT4 manual:

Development PhilosophyPorsche Cayman GT4 stands for a sports car withexceptional performance, both on the road and onthe race circuit. This objective means that, in theevent of any compromise being required betweensportiness and comfort during the developmentprocess, the tendency will be geared moretowards sportiness. This can result in the followingrestrictions in comfort:

– Brake squeal when light pressure applied tothe pedal shortly before stopping.
– Cracking noise in area of front-axle coilsprings.
– Aerodynamic-related extremely low vehicleposition with restrictions in terms of groundclearance.

Looks like it's part of the deal :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts