Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I just got into my first P Car, a white 2009 Porsche Cayman. So far, I love it, outside the fact that my front bumper got scratched during transport.

It seems that I will only be able to get the damages repaired via a body shop. I am extremely worried about this Porsche Certified Body shop repainting my bumper and the longevity of that paint vs the rest of the car. Granted the car is white and I don't think that would the hardest paint color to replicate.

The current estimate is for about 1k worth of work. What would it cost to just replace the front bumper?

Also, should I try to put up more of a fight to just have the bumper replaced or should I be fine with having the body repair shop do their thing?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Images of the scratches are attached.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The transit company should pay for the damages incurred, that is why they have insurance. They should also pay for your rental while the car is out of service, anything less is unacceptable. Have a Porsche dealer/service center tell you what is the best repair option.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
If the bumper is not damaged you will only get a repaint. It will suck for a little bit, it will be repaired that you will never be able to see it and it will be fine. Then you will get your own first scratch and it will not matter anymore.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you tell them you want it replaced then you will appear to be trying to gain from the situation. They will not like that. Tell them you want it returned to the condition it was in when they recieved it and then you can scrutinize the work and make them do it again if necessary.

A bumper is of little value if you had to replace it every time it got touched. Don't be unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
If you tell them you want it replaced then you will appear to be trying to gain from the situation. They will not like that. Tell them you want it returned to the condition it was in when they recieved it and then you can scrutinize the work and make them do it again if necessary.

A bumper is of little value if you had to replace it every time it got touched. Don't be unreasonable.
How would getting the bumper replaced be gaining anything? It came with one in the first place!:crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
repaired bumper = new paintwork
New bumper = new paintwork...its the same deal, new bumpers come with undercoat.

Sorry to hear this, it will get sorted & after a few weeks of driving your beautiful machine it will be all forgotten. Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing the bumper doesn't get you a factory painted bumper. If you replace the bumper it still has to be painted at some body shop.
Small damage that can be touch up is better than repainting because the factory doesn't play by the same VOC rules that body shops in California have to use. Therefore, the factory paint will always be tougher, more chip and scuff resistant that a repaint, even from the best body shops. See if your dealership won't compensate you in some other way.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
You would be surprised at what can be rubbed out without doing body work or repaint. Did the dealer or body shop look at this yet and offer their opinion ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
How would getting the bumper replaced be gaining anything? It came with one in the first place!:crazy:
You have a cosmetic problem not a structural one. Replacing the bumper would be appropriate if the bumper was cracked or broken and from the photos it did not appear to be.

So you asking for a perfectly good bumper to be replaced when the integrity of the bumper has not been compromised will come across as you wanting to gain from the event.

It is a scratch, bummer yes but is is a paint problem only. A good paint man on a buffer could probably take it off without the need for painting.

If you insist on having a factory painted bumper shipped over from Germany then you will come across as a jerk. Perhaps rightfully so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts