Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just noticed the plastic on my speedo is a little scuffed up. Any suggestions on how I can make this problem go away?
Would it be possible to change just the plastic without changing the whole instrument cluster?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
911 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If its actually a scratch use toothpaste and a toothbrush.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
+1 on toothpaste, but I'd rub with a microfiber cloth like the one that come with prescription glasses.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If its actually a scratch use toothpaste and a toothbrush.
+1 on toothpaste, but I'd rub with a microfiber cloth like the one that come with prescription glasses.
DO NOT USE TOOTHPASTE OR A TOOTHBRUSH!

The abrasives in toothpaste are not milled in the same size or fashion as those in a dedicated polish. Toothpaste will have a scouring effet on the plastic and will most certainly remove any anti-glare coating on the surface. I don't have my car yet and I don't remember from the test drive (in Feb) if the gauges had the glare reduction coating on them. If it does then polishing will cause a weird looking spot where the coating is missing. If there is no coating then try the plexus or a good automotive paint polish like Menzerna Power Finish with a good microfiber towel to start.

Edit: You can usually tell if there is anti-glare film by fiewing the gauges off-axis and in direct light. If there is a greenish or purplish tinge to any reflected light then its a safe bet it's there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
DO NOT USE TOOTHPASTE OR A TOOTHBRUSH!

The abrasives in toothpaste are not milled in the same size or fashion as those in a dedicated polish. Toothpaste will have a scouring effet on the plastic and will most certainly remove any anti-glare coating on the surface. I don't have my car yet and I don't remember from the test drive (in Feb) if the gauges had the glare reduction coating on them. If it does then polishing will cause a weird looking spot where the coating is missing. If there is no coating then try the plexus or a good automotive paint polish like Menzerna Power Finish with a good microfiber towel to start.

Edit: You can usually tell if there is anti-glare film by fiewing the gauges off-axis and in direct light. If there is a greenish or purplish tinge to any reflected light then its a safe bet it's there.
I thought I noticed a purplish tone to one of my gauges yesterday when the sun shined on it at a particular angle. Maybe that was why.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Then off to the dealer.......it's a brand new car, nothing out of pocket.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I thought I noticed a purplish tone to one of my gauges yesterday when the sun shined on it at a particular angle. Maybe that was why.
This is what separates a truly professional detailer from a wash and wax guy. We have to know ALL the ins and outs. The best products from each brand and the best process for each type of paint. I called out a well known (Robb Report top 10 listed) detailer on autopia for removing a "purplish film" from a customer's BMW M3 nav screen. A few days later, he deleted every picture from his post and it died quietly.

I guess the lesson is that you always have something to learn. I've made mistakes too.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Plexus is great for cleaning I use it by the truckload cleaning the covers on my boat.

But it will not remove a scratch. You would be polishing into the next millennium.

The OP was about a scratch, if you are going to remove a scratch you are also going to lose any protective coating. You have to pay your money and take your chances. If it doesn't work you have no choice but get new plastic covers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys sorry for the lack of replies... was in a tropical hideaway sulking over my problem :) Back to reality now. Will be be looking for Meguiar's PlastX tomorrow to see if it works. If not probably will try the Icre Creme scratch remover. Review here

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just curious if the plastX resolved the issue..? Thanks for responding..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup 80% resolved. Bulk of the scratches came off. Thank goodness! It doesn't work that well on TechNoWind V1 though...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts