Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loved my 1999 Boxster. Arctic Silver with that crazy Boxster red interior. Just like the prototype. I picked it up in 2003 so it had some real world experience about it. Gently loved you might say. A few years and miles that did not detract from the car. But it was a risky purchase too. I bought it without a Pre-purchase Inspection (PPI). When I decided that I needed another Porsche, it was the logical choice.

Bear with me a minute and listen to my logic. At the time I had a 1976 930 Turbo Carrera that had turned into a garage / concourse queen so driving it a lot was out of the question. Besides, every time I took it for a drive it cost me $500 (on average). At that age, a lot of stuff needed replacing or rebuilding…all the time. Since I wanted to do track events, it would be of criminal nature to consider putting the 930 on the track so I needed a track car.

That lead me to a dubious 1986 944 Turbo (or 951 for those of you keeping score). My budget was $6K. You cannot get a lot of car for $6K, but I found one in Atlanta. More or less. It was white – basically. Different body panels had been repainted at different times so it was not exactly a uniform white. But I had enough left over of my $10K overall budget to throw some track mods at it (but that is another very long story). See the thing is, this was also supposed to be my daily driver. I installed Sparco Speed track seats and harnesses in it so it was not exactly comfortable to drive on the street. One night I made the mistake of taking my wife out for dinner in the 944 Turbo After I spent a long time buckling her in we headed out. It rode very roughly with the track suspension set up and she was not happy.

Hmmm, maybe it was not a mistake taking her out that evening. She said “I will not ride in that car again” or something to that effect. As far as I was concerned, a signal was given that I had a “OPEN TO BUY” to get another Porsche. Except this one had to be a convertible. And to me there was no other choice, it had to be a Boxster. Anyway I told her that she could drive it too. It would not be modified (much) and would be far easier and more comfortable than the 930 or 944.

Flash forward five years and the 930, 944 and Boxster are all long gone. An Audi A3 and Porsche 968 are in my garage. Always wanted a 968, so I bought one. Probably will buy another one at some point, but it was not the right car at the right time. It had to go, replaced by a newer Boxster, this time a “S” version to boot. I really liked that car. Speed yellow, M030 sports suspension, sport seats, it was awesome. Until a gal with the state minimum liability insurance hit me, slamming me into a brand new Boxster and 911 in front of me. She hit me hard enough to total the car.

Both my son and I suffered mild concussions (the doctors said we would fully recover). My wife thought I was crazy and hoped that maybe the concussion had knocked some sense into me. Back from the hospital, my son and I were shopping for a new car that night. My thinking went like this, I did not want another 986 Boxster, had two of them already. The way I rationalized it to my wife, our bank would not loan us enough for me to get back into exactly the 986 series I wanted. So I needed to look at something newer, meaning a 987 series. Wink, wink.

The more I looked, the more I realized that maybe…just maybe I could stretch it a little and get a Cayman. I shopped harder. There were a few, but I suspected they were basket cases. High miles and sketchy or non existent service records. I called a guy in Florida about a speed yellow 2006 S with 76K miles. It had carbon ceramic brakes…hmmm interesting. I asked about records, he replied in a thick accent, no records…good car, you should buy. No thank you, I think I will pass.

I was headed to Iowa on a business trip. First stop Cedar Rapids. Riding with a business colleague I was searching and searching - Autotrader, Rennlist, PCA, 6Speedonline, Planet9 – nothing. Maybe I had reached too far. But for some reason I looked at cars.com. I never look at cars.com, and there was a Cayman S in Des Moines. Wait a minute, I would be in Des Moines that very day. The color was right – Arctic Silver. The interior was right – Terracotta. It had sports seats, PASM, Nav, Sports Chrono, it had an EXTENDED WARRANTY! OH, BABY, this sounded great.

I started calling, emailing, texting, praying, conjuring on the Ouija Board, messenger raven, telegraph, telegram and fax. No answers. DANG, I was that close. Then about 9:15 PM a call came in with a 515 area code. Could it be? I answered and the person on the other end said he was responding to the 250 messages from me and yes he still had the car. He explained that the Des Moines market was not a particularly active market for used Porsches. Especially Caymans. Turns out he was a doctor and had been in surgery all day. We agreed to meet the next day so I could look at the car.

I did not sleep that night. In my mind, I went through every scenario of looking at the car. The next day, meetings done I went to his house and saw the car parked in the driveway. I got out of the rent car and walked towards it. It was beautiful, I was in trouble. The owner was very affable and told me everything about it. Yes it had a new motor in it. The first one had popped – the dreaded IMS bearing failure. A new motor? That made me want it more. He also told me it had a 2 year extended warranty on it from PCNA. Serious Cayman lust set in, I was teetering on the brink.

That day we agreed on a price and he did a very smart thing. He traded it in on a new GT3 at the Porsche dealer in Omaha with the agreement that the dealer would sell it to me for the price we had agreed upon. This is known as an “In and Out” in the auto industry. Everybody won! He reduced the sales tax on his GT3, my bank got to deal directly with the dealer and I got a great car, dealer prepped and ready to go.

A week later I flew to Omaha to pick it up. My company paid for the flight up as I had booked business appointments all the way home back to DFW. I had 800 miles to get acquainted with my new Cayman. What a great time! Turns out the guy I bought it from is a Planet 9 member and besides his GT3 bought a Cayman R. Lucky guy! Maybe he will want to sell one of those some day too. Hmmm, maybe I should keep in touch! Never know when I will be in the market for another Porsche.

And on that exhaust note, see you all around. I will be contributing columns and articles to 9Magazine. As I morph into author and automotive journalist, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to read my stories. I hoped you enjoyed them and maybe they brought a smile to your face. I will be checking in from time to time and dropping in the occasional story about my CS, but you will be able to read my stuff in 9Magazine. Check it out…if you haven’t already.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good story! Was your rearender by chance at Boxstoberfest last year? I missed it last year but heard there was a rear end collision. Good luck with the new find.

Norm

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep! That would be me. We were very thankful that we were not injured more seriously. AND...I had recently stopped taking Coumadin (very long story best heard over beers), if I had still been on it, it would have complicated things a lot.

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
As I'm reading this, I suddenly realized that, hey, he bought KY's Cayman S. That car is a great car, great colors, great equipment spec. Hope you're enjoying it.

I have dibs on his GT3 when the time comes, just so there's no confusion... :taunt:

Hope to see you at the track sometime.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes really enjoying it. Have done 10 track events in it.
Mods to date:
Sport Intake
Mantis UDP
Mantis Deep sump (the new one)
Agency exhaust / Dream 2
SSBL
Cayman R pads
Accusump / 2 qt version
Intake grills
And new wheels / Nitto NT01 track tires.
Yes, we are getting started nicely.

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
Yes really enjoying it. Have done 10 track events in it.
Mods to date:
Sport Intake
Mantis UDP
Mantis Deep sump (the new one)
Agency exhaust / Dream 2
SSBL
Cayman R pads
Accusump / 2 qt version
Intake grills
And new wheels / Nitto NT01 track tires.
Yes, we are getting started nicely.
You already have the Tarett camber plates (I know, I installed them). I think that's all we did, iirc. The NT01s are my favorite track tires, and I also have the Mantis UDP and deep sump. How do you like the Agency exhaust?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You already have the Tarett camber plates (I know, I installed them). I think that's all we did, iirc. The NT01s are my favorite track tires, and I also have the Mantis UDP and deep sump. How do you like the Agency exhaust?
Oops, forgot about those! Need to add them to the mod list.
I really liked the NT01's on the track. Very high levels of grip.

As the Agency exhaust, it could be louder. It has a nice deep mellow sound. But then again I had the Fabspeed full race exhaust installed and that was just...well it was great on the track. but the other 99% of the time? Not so much. All my neighbors are very glad it is gone.

·
HOT LAP
98 Posts
Yup, that was my old Cayman S. Great car! I still miss the color combo. Quite funny that I used to live in IA and now in DFW, TX....I think I just followed my old Cayman S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great write up, Rob! You know your purchase affected more than just yourself. If you hadn't told me at one point how usable the CS was as a daily driver, I would have never bought mine, and after one track event, I am more in love with that car than I was a year ago when I bought it. :thanks:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I can fully understand your love for your Boxster, I've been in love with my '99 for three years now and I've instructed my family to bury me in it.:hilarious:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts