Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the seat cushion from the seat pan of a standard seat. I am trying to install the oem fire extinguisher kit from Suncoast. The bracket has backing plates that need to be between the seat cushion and the seat pan. Removing the seat cushion seems like the only reasonable way to do it. I even took the seat out of the car today but could not figure out how to remove the cushion. I also wanted to go for a drive so I put the seat right back in.:)

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove a seat cushion to put in an extinguisher bracket, but you may need to remove your seat and/or seat rails. There are articles in our Articles section about how to remove seats as well as one or two on installing fire extinguishers from different sources as well.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
From the pictures I have seen, the OEM bracket seems to fit like the Rennline, which means you probably need to work the support/backing plate between the seat cushion/springs and bottom plate (from the rear of the seat forward) as described in my Article linked in the post above, until you get it aligned with the holes in the bottom plate. Like this:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I tried that method. The problem is, unlike the Rennline bracket, the OEM bracket has two mounting plates, one of which has to be slid further than my hand can reach. Furthermore, these plates do not have nuts on them like the Rennline appears to have. So even if I could get the plates into position, I would still need to get a bolt through the plates and the seat pan, and a wrench on the head of this bolt. When I removed the springs on the seat, it still did not seem possible to do this. I have a diagram that shows how the parts for the oem extinguisher bracket attach to the seat, and it is shown without the seat cushion in place. This looks like the more reasonable installation method, and I know the cushions must come off somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I don't know how much it will help, but if you download the PDF Cayman Parts catalog and look for the front seat diagrams, you can see an exploded view of the seat with the inner fire extinguisher bracket shown - don't know if it will help you figure out how to take the seat apart though.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I finally got my oem fire extinguisher installed today without removing the seat cushion. What a pain in the butt, but it is done now and looks good. O yea, and it meets the requirements for DE which was the whole point.

I stared at the seat for a long time trying to figure out how to remove the seat cushion. Looks nearly impossible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.