Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car 2017 Boxster for nearly a year and just saw a tear
on the driver's seat (see pics). It must be wear and tear (literally). Has anyone else experienced this? My car is parked in close quarters and I'm limited on how wide I can open door prior to getting in. If anyone has had the issue and found a good solution such as aftermarket cover, ... then please tell me about it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That unfortunately looks like wear to me rather than a fault :( . If the seat is not the full leather then the damage is most likely on the pleather, and any good upholstery repairer should be able to make it like new.
Some repairers can also do wonders patching real leather too.
I'd also be checking what part of my clothing is causing wear like that.

Greg

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's a common wear point, and easily damaged, at least when it is the fake vinyl "leather" of the standard interior. A dealer damaged mine in the same spot, and had it repaired. Although it did not come out perfect, it was close enough. It looks the same as the day they repaired it and 4 years & 45k miles since then. Though I carefully lift myself out of the seat, so...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My car has the standard interior as well and was scuffed in that location when I picked the car up from the dealership with 14 miles on it. I've had it for a couple of months now and it continues to get worse, so I project that before long it will look like the OP's photo. I'm not a big guy either (5'10", 165lbs). I'll try to get Porsche to cover the repair when I bring it in for my first service in a year or so assuming it doesn't tear through prior to that. I know the warranty doesn't cover "wear and tear", but seat material wearing through in less than a year is not something that should be considered normal wear and tear in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
My car shows a slight wear in the same location. I think my wear is caused by the seat belt rubbing that location when I take off the seat belt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
surferbum -

do you know what was done to repair your seat? I assume the damaged panel was replaced? I would think that replacing that panel with a higher-quality material would prevent a repeat occurrence, as I've not seen anything about this happening with any of the optional/upgraded upholstery choices. If I had known about this six months ago I might have paid the $500 to get the leather package just to prevent the hassle of having it fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
surferbum -

do you know what was done to repair your seat? I assume the damaged panel was replaced? I would think that replacing that panel with a higher-quality material would prevent a repeat occurrence, as I've not seen anything about this happening with any of the optional/upgraded upholstery choices. If I had known about this six months ago I might have paid the $500 to get the leather package just to prevent the hassle of having it fixed.
The leather package doesn't add any leather to the partial leather seats unfortunately. It's my understanding that to have leather seats rather than the partial leather seats is upgrading to sport seats plus or getting the full leather interior. The leather package only adds leather to the side arm rests, the door handles, the dash piece above the gauges, and the center arm rest/storage compartment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The leather package doesn't add any leather to the partial leather seats unfortunately. It's my understanding that to have leather seats rather than the partial leather seats is upgrading to sport seats plus or getting the full leather interior. The leather package only adds leather to the side arm rests, the door handles, the dash piece above the gauges, and the center arm rest/storage compartment.
Well, at least that makes me feel better about not buying the leather package on my "poverty spec" build!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm glad I read this. I too have ordered a "poverty spec" Cayman. I'm going to see if I can figure out some way to protect this area to reduce chances of excess wear.

The base-model Miata I bought brand new started to wear in exactly the same place......after 15 years.

·
Registered
194 Posts
After this thread I went and looked at my own car to see if I noticed any signs of wear in that spot.
Looks like it's barely starting to wear on mine as well (also don't have the full leather package, so it's the fake stuff)! I'm 90% sure it's probably the seatbelt after I take it off.. but I'll take note of how I get in from now on to make sure it's not my butt as well.

If anything, I'll just put some cloth or electrical tape over the spot - you'll never really see it and it's a cheap countermeasure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I didn't notice any wear on the seat there with my 981 (4 years; 42k), but I did have wear on the door trim where my foot would slide against it, trying to slip out in tight parking spaces. And generally I thought every parking space was tight... I think the doors are longer on 2-door models and I was used to 4-door cars before.

surferbum, you said you had it fixed? How did that turn out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.