Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys – I’m struggling to identify my optimal seating position...thought I’d reach out to the community for some assistance.

Searched first…nada in the 981 forum…

Background
14 way power sport seats with memory package
5’9” on a good day, 175lbs, 40 short sport coat, athletic build (married – sorry)

Specifically I feel like the non-adjustable upper/vertical side bolsters (don’t know what else to call them) are too narrow to fit my shoulders as I don’t fit neatly “in between” them. It almost feels like I am off to one side even. I don’t think I’m particularly “broad” which is why I think I’m doing something wrong. Or are they just narrow and everyone deals with them?

I want this to all be so perfect so bad…help!
Thoughts are appreciated.
Salem

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I'm not gonna provide much value here... but my first thought is... are you slouching? Is your butt more or less against the back rest of are you slid a bit forward such that your shoulders are a bit lower in the seat?

If you are... try sitting back in the seat and then moving the seat forward a little to get your feet back on the pedals where you want them. Then, if you're now too close to the wheel, recline the seat a little.

Beyond that... I can't relate. I'm about the same size as you with an extra 20 lbs on me, but I've got 18 ways so I can't provide any insight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm 6"0 165 lbs. The side bolsters are too narrow for me and dig in my lats. I have to sit a little leaned forward to not be bothered by it. Will order mine with the sport seat plus whatever it's called

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'm not gonna provide much value here... but my first thought is... are you slouching? Is your butt more or less against the back rest of are you slid a bit forward such that your shoulders are a bit lower in the seat?
+1. The Germans do NOT approve of slouching. To me, the 14-way seats are very uncomfortable unless I sit bolt upright, which is overall not a bad thing to encourage.

If I could change anything about these seats, I'd lower the lumbar support substantially. It's like a giant inflatable lump in the kidneys...

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1. The Germans do NOT approve of slouching. To me, the 14-way seats are very uncomfortable unless I sit bolt upright, which is overall not a bad thing to encourage.

If I could change anything about these seats, I'd lower the lumbar support substantially. It's like a giant inflatable lump in the kidneys...
The 18 ways allow adjustable lumbar support. You can raise, lower, inflate, deflate it. You can also adjust those bolsters. Although this doesn't apply to OPs case.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not helping you really, but, this was exactly why I went for the 18 way seats instead. The first thing we did at the dealer was sit in the various seats to see what fit.

Also Clarkson seemed to love the Cayman except for the narrow bolsters so you're not alone.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I suppose you are referring to the standard seats without the "wings".

Honestly, I don't understand how Porsche could be selling their standard seats for decades. Those seats are just so crap. The seats are not wide enough to wrap the shoulders, and would cut in on the back. How could one even sit on one of those for more than 15 mins? It's ridiculous. Sports seats with wings are at the minimum. I really didn't notice sitting in any other car that can't even wrap back and shoulders proper -- even a 30K Honda could do it properly.

So I never really understand why dealers/owners do not spec their cars with the sports seats when the price of the option is so incremental relative to the rest of the car. It's almost like selling you a house without proper toilet seats.

Went off topic a little here ... but frankly I find the seats that Porsche offers as standard equipment to be very poor seats. I can't see how one would even consider them legit for a sportscar like a Cayman/Boxster/911.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The 18 ways allow adjustable lumbar support. You can raise, lower, inflate, deflate it. You can also adjust those bolsters. Although this doesn't apply to OPs case.
The lumbar adjusts on the 14s, too. Just not low enough. I use a deflated inflatable back cushion to get the low lumbar support I need.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just to provide another point of view. I am 6'3" tall and found the sport plus seats uncomfortable and a real pain to get in and out of the car. The 14 way seats are much more comfortable for me although it does take a while driving to find the perfect position. The car that Clarkson was driving had the 18 way sport plus seats!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback all...

Pokerhobo - I'm going to geek out in my garage tonight and see if follwoing those instructions from the Porsche team takes care of it (doubtful but then I can say I tried everything.)

I suppose because I bought used...shame on me for not trying out every single seat and ordering what I wanted exactly...it just wasn't something I assumed wouldn't be okay...

From the sounds of everything I'll just need to make it work as I love my Cayman!
Salem

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey guys – I’m struggling to identify my optimal seating position...thought I’d reach out to the community for some assistance.

Searched first…nada in the 981 forum…

Background
14 way power sport seats with memory package
5’9” on a good day, 175lbs, 40 short sport coat, athletic build (married – sorry)

Specifically I feel like the non-adjustable upper/vertical side bolsters (don’t know what else to call them) are too narrow to fit my shoulders as I don’t fit neatly “in between” them. It almost feels like I am off to one side even. I don’t think I’m particularly “broad” which is why I think I’m doing something wrong. Or are they just narrow and everyone deals with them?

I want this to all be so perfect so bad…help!
Thoughts are appreciated.
Salem
This is a characteristic of the seat you have, the 2 way sport seats have bigger slots for your upper body.

But correct position is, Butt all the to the seat back, seat front (where your knees are) tilted slightly up (so that under braking the seat holds you and wont let you slide forward), back rest more upright than leaned back, you should be able to hold the wheel at 3 and 9 and rotate the wheel 180 degrees (about) without your elbows hitting the seat back and always have a slight bend in the elbow.

Heres a good tutorial

http://youtu.be/jDIiUHMcj3w?t=35s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts