Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know out of the five choices of seats in the Cayman, which ones did you pick and why? The only one I've sat in had the power seat package.
Also, other than the digital image on the porcshe site, where can I find some actual pictures of the cocoa interior?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I've become a track junkie, so if I were ordering a car today, and could afford them, I would get the Sports Buckets because I would want them for the track (light-weight and can use with 6-pt harness). My second choice would be the plain Sports Seat (again, to save weight over the power seats).

My car came with the Standard Seats, which are fine, just not the best for the track.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'd like to know out of the five choices of seats in the Cayman, which ones did you pick and why? The only one I've sat in had the power seat package.
Also, other than the digital image on the porcshe site, where can I find some actual pictures of the cocoa interior?
Some pretty nice cocoa pictures in the gallery here:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
My car is 2007 CS Black/Black with standard manual seats and optional heat, and is used as a regular driver. The standard seats are very comfortable for regular long distance commutes, and don't need to be adjusted much, as I'm virtually the only driver. So, no need for automatic seat adjustments or memory sets, so why spend the extra money. Recently bought a set of the 997 GT2 seats for occasional track days during the summer. Plan to swap between them along with summer/winter tires to maximize enjoyment of this fantastic, versatile car the year round.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the powered seats....came in the car. Now that I have them, I love the ease of adjustment when you want to make that small change on a long drive. Given my druthers, I would pick the Adaptive Sport Seats...I dove in a car with those and really like the additional options...fit my old back much better. I'm 6', 170.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I configured my '06 CS as a daily driver/5-10% track car so checked the (manual) sport seats box for their lighter weight and greater lateral support. I'm the only driver so memory and/or full power adjustment was unimportant. You need to sit in the seats since absent multi-adjustability it's not one size fits all and the more adjustments, the greater the weight. Although the sports seats work well for me - very comfortable and supportive for long road trips or short track stints, some may find them too restrictive. If I had it to do again, I'd configure my car exactly as I did, including the sport seats (and I'd add the then unavailable LSD) - no buyer's remorse here :)

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
If you are ever thinking of going to the track, it's the sport bucket seats. hands down.
Sport seats are fine, but when you get more serious you need seats that can support a 5/6 point harness.

Buying your car with the Sport Bucket Seats, they will cost ±$3,350.
Buying them after the fact will cost you at least ±$6,600. (plus whatever you paid for sport/power seats that you will no longer use).

:2cents:

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
the power and adaptive seats are the only ones with lumbar support, if you need that. I spent 3 hours in the car everyday and standard and sport seats do not provide much back support.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have the adaptive sport seats in both my '09 C2S and our '08 Cayenne GTS and they do give good lateral support and are comfortable for long trips (even with my bad lower back) However since I ordered the '10 Cayman as an autocross and track car I chose the sport bucket seats (for harnesses and best lateral support plus they are the lightest OEM seats) I was surprised when my wife and I were optioning the car that she sat in and liked the sport bucket. No they do not have an adjustable lumbar but since the seat cushions are simple attached to the bucket with velcro you can easily stuff a lumbar cushion in it. In fact Recaro use to make a manual pump up lumbar bladder to add to their seats. Lots of choices only your wallet and your use of the car will enter into which is best for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 08 CS and have the Sport Bucket seats. Great seats, they feel good and work well with Brey Krause Harness bar and 5 point belts. Plus they look spectacular. I would recommend them.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
The current issue of Excellence (with the Boxster Spyder on the cover) has an article on changing out the Cayman's OEM seats for Sport Bucket seats. Take a look in the "Project Cayman" section of the magazine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I started out with the Standard seats (w/heat). They are comfortable around town and pretty decent. But..... I installed a set of the GT2 Sport Bucket Seats about 6 months ago (perlon cloth covered, not the leather), and have to say that I LOVE them. Big advantage on the track, and at my rather standard 6 foot height and 190 lb build they are rather comfortable for daily driving. I'm a bit more hesitant to go on really long trip (i.e. for more than 500 miles) with the new seats due to their general lack of padding, but you can't beat the additional feedback you get. My wife (who stands about 4’11’’) think they are a bit on the low side, but can drive the just fine.

They are costly, but I like having the side airbags and all the weight sensor stuff in place (not to mention plug and play changes w/ no annoying lights on the dash).

If I were to buy another Cayman today I would not blink an eye and mark the box for the Sport Bucket Seats... But then again I am turning into a track junkie... :hilarious:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went for the standard sports seats with heated option on my Boxster. Having lived with them for 6 weeks I am very happy indeed and would not change if i had the opportunity.

The Sport Buckets are awesome in the Cayman but you cannot heat them and heated seats allow you to have the roof down in the Boxster while remaining comfortable in Winter and thats a massive plus for me. :beer:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
There are two small "downers" to the sport bucket seats, as the previous poster said you cannot get the heated option. The other one involves a fire bottle. Porsche will not provide their factory bottle with Sport bucket seats and I have not found an after market company that makes a mount to attach a fire bottle to the Sport bucket seat. that said I have been playing telephone tag with a distributor for Barry Krause, so the jury is still out.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
There are two small "downers" to the sport bucket seats, as the previous poster said you cannot get the heated option. The other one involves a fire bottle. Porsche will not provide their factory bottle with Sport bucket seats and I have not found an after market company that makes a mount to attach a fire bottle to the Sport bucket seat. that said I have been playing telephone tag with a distributor for Barry Krause, so the jury is still out.
Ask and you shall receive:

SportBucket Extinguisher Kit

·
Registered
15 Posts
In hindsight, if I were ordering a new car from scratch I would specify the electric seats so I could adjust the angle of the seat base... I find my right leg getting tired as I cannot find a position where both my legs reach the pedals perfectly so I have to hold my right leg up a bit. It's a choice, not push the clutch in all the way (and perhaps kill the gearbox) or kill my right leg...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I've become a track junkie, so if I were ordering a car today, and could afford them, I would get the Sports Buckets because I would want them for the track (light-weight and can use with 6-pt harness)./QUOTE]

Before going this route I would STRONGLY advise to try them out first in a
real car.

Why I say this is - I also thought I'd want to go this route one day, and had
an opportunity to sit in these beautiful seat in one of those Kermit Green CS
Sport Editions.

While I very much loved the seats themselves, they are mounted too high
for my liking. I felt like I was up an inch or more from where my standard
manual seats are normally set. The height of the Sport Buckets is not
settable.... all you get is fore/aft.

Unless that issue is dealt with, I'd stay away.

To reiterate though, I LOVED the seats themselves. Very comfy and
really nice pieces.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My 09 CS came with the stock manual seats. I have thought about replacing them so I picked up a set of Sparco Monza seats. After that I thought I should have purchased the 996 GT3 seats. So now I have both the Sparco and GT3 seats sitting in my basement. For 2 - 3 track weekends a year I'm beginning to have doubts that it is worth the effort.

In hind site I should have purchased the sport seats.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts