Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the verge of buying an exhaust system for my 2006 Cayman S. I need a louder, more arousing sound than stock, and gaining a few more HP would be nice.

I've focused on systems costing less than $1600, and I think I have narrowed it down to Fabspeed, Billy Boat, or APE. By the on-line audio clips I've heard (e.g., Golf Guy), APE sounds closest to my liking, APE's price appears slightly lower, and power gains seem comparable for all three. But in looking at their photos, Fabspeed and Billy Boat appear to be higher quality and robustness. I haven't compared their weights. Thoughts, comments, recommendations?

Also, I noticed that Fabspeed, Billy Boat, and some others systems have cross pipes between the mufflers, and their exhaust pipes run directly from the mufflers to separate tips. APE lacks the cross pipe, and the exhaust pipes from the mufflers converge into a single pipe that leads to single unit that diverts the exhaust to two tips/outlets. What are the implications and effects of the different designs?

I'd appreciate any advice, guidance, endorsements, regrets, etc.

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
The crossover pipe definitely reduces resonances and drone. I would stick to a system which has this pressure equalization feature. Be careful on the installation of Fabspeed, if you choose that system, to insure that the crossover pipes are fully mated. Any leaks at the crossover joint will increase drone and loudness. This fit will also make the tail pipe extensions on the mufflers very close together, but it must be that way and looks fine. Also systems of T304 stainless polish nicely and stay that way. The headers, if you buy those also, will turn a bluish color even if made of 304 because of the high temperatures. Definitely get a system with a fully separated tail pipe system as this will increase power. The stock Cayman tailpipe extension even on the S model is a gas flow calamity!

·
Registered
620 Posts
There are an amazing number of aftermarket exhaust options for these cars. I assume you've read many of the threads on here. Gator Bite is the resident expert. FWIW, something like 46 of us ordered Speedart exhausts in a recent group buy. I expect that in a few months there will be a small surplus of lightly used exhausts in the classifieds here - as we mix and match, swap, and finally all settle on which brands/loudnesses really suit each of us.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Someone was having problems with an APE system awhile back but I don't recall the nature of the problem, but yeah without the cross over pipe I'm not sure you'd be able to stomach the resonance that would exist. Remember the old saying about you get what you pay for, go cheap, you get cheap which means you are giving up something, quality of materials, lack of resonance, durability, warranty, whatever it is. You might also consider that Fabspeed and Billy Boat make their own systems and have a good customer service record on this site, along with several other vendors. I highly recommend checking out the exhaust shoot out video from 2008 if you haven't already and as Jeff said, several exhaust systems are going to be coming available via our classifieds in the next few months.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would recommend the Fabspeed or Billy Boat. As a APE owner I've been very dissatisfied with the drone and APE customer service. I'm looking to switch to Fabspeed or Remus myself.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
For a few buck more I am very pleased with my FVD export/sound cat back system. Great fit and fantastic sound with NO drone. Plus it is made from 316.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I have FabSpeed's headers and exhaust and would recommend them to anyone wanting more aggressive sound and performance. Very nice fit and finish!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Fabspeed's fit and finish are top-notch. A bonus is that they are very responsive to questions.

I'd take any drone advice with a grain of salt - there are too many variables (transmission/tip position/tolerance to noise).

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had the BillyBoat full system on my car...exhaust and headers. I cannot speak of how they sounded separately, but the drone, with headers and exhaust, was terrible. The actual sound of the system was awesome, though!

In addition, the quality of the mufflers I received was not too good. I went through two different mufflers before selling. They kept coming apart at the welds of the actual muffler.

I later switched back to stock headers with a Cargraphic exhaust. The Cargraphic is exceptional!

For what it's worth, I was very surprised with my experience with BillyBoat as I hear they are very good.

Charles

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I guess I'm a little surprised to hear such bad news about the APE. Everything I wrote in my exhaust write up was true from MY experience. I find it interesting now that people have brought up exhaust leak as to the cause of drone... Perhaps those with the APE didn't install theirs correctly? Like people have said, there are a lot of different variables. Perhaps I just got lucky? Who knows. but what I do know is that I am still loving my APE with absolutely NO DRONE and trust me, I've heard some pretty bad drone with exhausts. I was actually so surprised by the lack of drone from my APE that one day I tried everything I could possibly think of to make that baby drone but it seems bulletproof.

Ken brought up a good point with "You get what you pay for," as this was one of my top concerns when choosing APE. At it's low price I always wondered what's the catch? But it turns out to be a solid deal and exhaust so both my ears and wallet are happy :dance: Time will tell all though as they say. Try talking with APE and see if you can return the exhaust within a week or so if you don't like it or there's drone, worth a shot in asking...

I hope whichever exhaust you choose you absolutely love, best of luck in your decision!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy guacamole! I'm afraid I'm going to go mad.

First, thanks, everyone, for your feedback - very useful and informative. I really admire and appreciate the great testing, evaluation, and reporting by Gator Bite and others.

I've narrowed my three original candidates down to seven (HA-HA, added Borla, AWE, Remus, and speedART). Each of my original three had pretty mixed reviews. Meanwhile, I read many good comments on the others backed up by some very impressive sound clips.

I guess I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry with high piles of snow outside the garage. I think I might build a matrix with exhausts listed vertically and weighted selection factors listed horizontally, for example: power gain, weight, sound (idle, cruise, WOT, resonance), quality, installation, and cost, then populate the matrix with what I learn from you guys and other research. I'm weird about my decision-making; I tend to want to make the perfect decision even if there isn't one.

Please keep the info flowing. Also, I'd consider buying a slightly used system in very good condition.

Regards,
Rick

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Borla all the way baby.....Everyone that has heard the Borla on my CS from inside or out loves it, and have quite a few amazed looks from 911 owners.

Borla for me is Lambo-esque, and yes has drone if you're in 6th gear at 3k rpm and push the gas hard, but so what.....the sound the rest of the rest of the time is pure heaven.

It's not easy to pick which exhaust to go for and I say go with whatever your gut tells you and then be happy with it and stick with it, otherwise you will definately go mad!

I'll post some more videos of my Borla on drive by soon. This is a static video I took of the Borla on my CS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuLTiRn98k

:cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Fabspeed on my 06 CS, Mike at TPC put in on, he said that his dyno records indicate that it does the most for performance compared to the others. Some aftermarket systems actually decrease HP. I love the sound.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
I will share my experience and some knowledge that you may find useful, maybe not.

Borla - Hands down one of the coolest sounding systems out there. That's not just my opinion. At the 2008 Croctoberfest Exhaust comparison the crowd overwhelmingly picked the Borla as the best sounding. I have yet to hear any Porsche sound better. On the downside, the system is pretty aggressive and will deliver a strong drone if the engine is loaded in the 2,200-2,800 RPM range.

AWE - Toned down a bit from the Borla. It trades that nasty raw sports car snarl for a more sophisticated deep note. It's dual chamber design makes it easier to avoid drone by allowing light acceleration in the drone area (2,200-2,800) without getting loud. Still an aggressive system that can drone pretty loud if loaded hard in the drone area.

speedART Export - This one started out very docile and got a bit louder with mileage. Once fully broken in, this thing can swing from near stock quiet to near Borla loud by using the go pedal. This one delivers less drone than any system I've experienced, but it can still drone if loaded hard in the magic RPM range. This one also makes a slight howl on deceleration at 2,400 RPM. I love this system because I like my car to sound a little aggressive but not too aggressive.

You can also get a toned down version, called the TUV version. speedART is also capable of making a custom baffle for you, or even a 'Sport Exhaust' with 2 stage valving if your car already has PSE. speedART systems are usually pretty expensive though. However, the Euro is in free fall right now so this may be a good time to look into pricing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Holy guacamole! I'm afraid I'm going to go mad.

First, thanks, everyone, for your feedback - very useful and informative. I really admire and appreciate the great testing, evaluation, and reporting by Gator Bite and others.

I've narrowed my three original candidates down to seven (HA-HA, added Borla, AWE, Remus, and speedART). Each of my original three had pretty mixed reviews. Meanwhile, I read many good comments on the others backed up by some very impressive sound clips.

I guess I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry with high piles of snow outside the garage. I think I might build a matrix with exhausts listed vertically and weighted selection factors listed horizontally, for example: power gain, weight, sound (idle, cruise, WOT, resonance), quality, installation, and cost, then populate the matrix with what I learn from you guys and other research. I'm weird about my decision-making; I tend to want to make the perfect decision even if there isn't one.

Please keep the info flowing. Also, I'd consider buying a slightly used system in very good condition.

Regards,
Rick
Don't forget FVD (Export version). It is basically the same as as the speetArt (Export) as both are made by M & M in Germany. I have it on my 987.2 Boxster S and the sound is fantastic with absolutely no drone. I couldn't be happier. Check with Rhonda at FVD and she will answer all your questions.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
If you wanted to stretch your budget a bit the cat back version of the Capristo might be an option. It is drone free and certainly agressive sounding, though maybe not as nice as the Borla. You'd have to contact Nick for pricing as it's usually quoted as the full system.

Note that with just the cat back you won't get the full system HP increase either. Minus the headers I'd guess it would come in around the other more open cat back systems but I've never seen it tested that way.

Installation is more complex than the others due to the control box and plumbing for the valving but is certainly doable. If you're not doing yourself find a shop that's willing to read the install articles. If you're having it installed I'd expect this system to cost a bit extra also.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just to stir up the pot a bit, here's an alternative suggestion that has worked well for me.

If you plan on getting a flash, say from Softronic or FVD, then you might consider going with catless headers as opposed to a post-header exhaust. The flash is required with catless headers as the O2 sensors gather information from the first set of cats. Without said flash, you will in all likelihood get a CEL.

I prefer this setup because (i) the NHP headers that were installed on my Boxster S are less than half the price of most (new) post-header exhausts, (ii) by keeping the stock post-header exhaust you retain the classic Porsche exhaust note (and the second cats), and at the same time give the car a more aggressive "bark," and (iii) no drone is evident, which was key in my decision to go with the catless headers.

If you look in the classifieds, there is a pair of Fabspeed catless headers for $999, as well as two of their post-header exhausts for $1000 and $650.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Regarding AWE Tuning exhaust system, any comments or recommendations on AWE exhaust tips versus the Dream 1 system? BTW, I don't like the looks of the stock tips at all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, at long last, I had my new exhaust system installed. AWE mufflers (for 2006-2008) with Fabspeed 987.2 (for 2009+) bolt on tips. Everything fit perfectly, and I avoided the exhaust bottleneck you would get with AWE and Dream tips. On intake side, I went with an IPD intake plenum, BMC air filter, and desnork.

All I can say is "Wow!" I wish I had dynoed before and after (but I didn't). The car feels a whole lot faster (only perception, no data), and it sounds incredible (lots of data)! Deep, mean, and throaty at low RPMs, screams to high heaven with heavy throttle, pops and burbles with deceleration. I couldn't be happier! I'd recommend this relatively low-cost, high-payoff combination to anyone who's watching their dollars.

My thanks to Bob (Zornet) who resold me his brand new mufflers for a great price, Alex at Fabspeed who gave me a great deal on the tips, and Duane and the shop guys at Sewickley Porsche in Pittsburgh who did the work perfectly. Also, thanks to all who offered their advice and comments.

Now, a new sport steering wheel, short shifter, mesh grills, 18" Cayman S take-offs or other wheels? Suggestions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts