Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
Looking at possibly selling my Perfect Shape 2005 Box S, for Perfect Shape 2014 Boxster S. Both are manual.
Think mine would sell for around 22-23k with 44k miles and new S for $48k with 17k miles.
NEED SOME SOLID ADVICE!
When I bought my S, I really liked the shape of the new one, but could not afford.. Now I can.
Both are manual 6, and they are both in awesome shape.
Options on new one are Sprot Exhaust, Power Seats, Chrono Package, Plus new car has 3m cover over the entire front, and literally is in new condition, oh Bose and under warranty for 15 more months.
Question for anyone who can help. Would you do it? Is the new S Boxster that superior? It's just too hard to tell with a test drive vs. a weekend, right?
Help! I want to do it, just thinking I need some solid advice!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can't detect a substantial improvement in the 2014 981 over your 2005 987 in a 20 minute test drive, then I'd keep the 987.

A good point. Having said that, it was improved during the test ride, yet my point was how did others find their step up to the 981 over time. Any regrets etc?
Appreciate your point!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
A good point. Having said that, it was improved during the test ride, yet my point was how did others find their step up to the 981 over time. Any regrets etc?
Appreciate your point!
I've owned a 981S for almost five years, and it is one of the best Porsches I have ever owned. The engine in a 981S is a detuned version of the 991's engine, and the performance difference between the 991 and 981S is minuscule. So you are getting the performance of a 911 at the price of a Boxster.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I kept the 987 as it had more of a go cart feel. The 981 is better in every way, but like most newer cars it delivers a bigger more isolating, luxury ride. If you are into raw feel, simple agility, and a superior sense of the road surface through the tires and steering, the 987 comes out ahead. Funny how new cars never get smaller, more raw or tactile. It always goes the other way, more room, more comfort, more advanced electronics and more driver aides.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
I kept the 987 as it had more of a go cart feel. The 981 is better in every way, but like most newer cars it delivers a bigger more isolating, luxury ride. If you are into raw feel, simple agility, and a superior sense of the road surface through the tires and steering, the 987 comes out ahead. Funny how new cars never get smaller, more raw or tactile. It always goes the other way, more room, more comfort, more advanced electronics and more driver aides.
And that is why as good as my 987 is, I very much miss the feel of my old 914. :( (Wish I had garage room to grab an old one in good shape, although they are pretty pricey these days.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wrong. The ND MX-5 is smaller and more tactlie than the NC it replaced and is the most true sports car available. That said, it is the only new car I can think of that can make the claim. Fantastic car.

I would love it if Porsche made a super light weight, bare bones recreation of the 550, 914 or even a 356. Until then, Mazda has that market cornered.

Back to the OP question. I don't miss my 987 at all compared to my 981(base models)
Ok, two things, I think the rear view and the tail pipe were better on the 987.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My last five cars are as follows:

987 Cayman S -> 987.2 Cayman S ->997.2 911 4S -> Audi R8 V8 -> 981 Boxster S

I can honestly say that the Boxster is the best car of the bunch. Mine's pretty much fully loaded. PTV, PSE, SC+, PASM, etc. It's an absolute hoot to drive.

Obviously this is just one person's opinion, but I seriously doubt you'd second guess yourself if you upgraded to a 981. There's a reason many reviewers called the 981 the best sports car one could buy. It's an amazingly fun car.

Reactions: TimD

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wrong. The ND MX-5 is smaller and more tactlie than the NC it replaced and is the most true sports car available. That said, it is the only new car I can think of that can make the claim. Fantastic car.

I would love it if Porsche made a super light weight, bare bones recreation of the 550, 914 or even a 356. Until then, Mazda has that market cornered.

Back to the OP question. I don't miss my 987 at all compared to my 981(base models)
Ok, two things, I think the rear view and the tail pipe were better on the 987.
They did - the 2010 987 Boxster Spyder is a light weight, bare bones Boxster S (if you left out the satnav sound system and air-conditioner) - only a canvas covering for the roof, LSD and aluminium doors off the GT3. It shed 80kg/176 pounds of weight. I own one and wouldn't trade it for a 981 or the 981 Spyder. A 997 Carrera 4S attempted to outrun me on a twisty and uphill stretch of road a few weeks ago and was unable to shake me off - he was also cutting center lines while I was keep within them.

I test drove the 981 Boxster S for a day as a service loaner and did not like it. The 987 feels like a smaller car and more go-kart like in comparison. The 981 is also more refined and you feel more cocooned from the driving experience, gone also in the 981 is the mechanical hand brake and the power steering is also electrically assisted instead of the hydraulic system of the 987. The only thing that the 981 has over the 987 is looks - it looks a bit more masculine with it larger haunches and aggressive front end.

The 987 Boxster Spyder is a steal right now in the US. At circa $30K, they are a bargain and future collectors item.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a more detailed 987 vs 981 write up - http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...1-test-drive-left-me-more-love-old-987-a.html

I thought about buying the 981 but didn't... as there are a few reasons to consider when it comes to keeping an old 987. ;)

Thanks for the great article. Lots to consider as I will make my final decision over the weekend. One thing is true, both the 987 and 981 are simply great cars.

A few things to add. I absolutely hate the Bose Base Stereo on the 981, it will need to be changed and retrofitted to get decent sound. Have been quoted around 2k to get a new amp to bypass the Bose Mess and add a new head unit. Plus they always look Wonky when you go aftermarket.

Secondly, there is a consideration as to the last of the RAW and REAL 6. After the 981 it's off to the 4 Cylinder. Yuck. Saw and heard one last nigtht in a parking lot. Talk about a letdown both in stature (really think they went backwards) and the dull 4 cylinder sound is really a turn off.

I have to choose between keeping a great 987 or choosing a 981. One thing for sure, whichever way I go, I'm keeping one for a very long time!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a more detailed 987 vs 981 write up - http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...1-test-drive-left-me-more-love-old-987-a.html

I thought about buying the 981 but didn't... as there are a few reasons to consider when it comes to keeping an old 987. ;)

Thanks for the great article. Lots to consider as I will make my final decision over the weekend. One thing is true, both the 987 and 981 are simply great cars.

A few things to add. I absolutely hate the Bose Base Stereo on the 987.1, it will need to be changed and retrofitted to get decent sound. Have been quoted around 2k to get a new amp to bypass the Bose Mess and add a new head unit. Plus they always look Wonky when you go aftermarket.

Secondly, there is a consideration as to the last of the RAW and REAL 6. After the 981 it's off to the 4 Cylinder. Yuck. Saw and heard one last nigtht in a parking lot. Talk about a letdown both in stature (really think they went backwards) and the dull 4 cylinder sound is really a turn off.

I have to choose between keeping a great 987 or choosing a 981. One thing for sure, whichever way I go, I'm keeping one for a very long time!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I own 2011 987.2 Cayman S. Still Love it.
Of course test drove 981, thought my car was more involving so I waited.
Drove 982 718 base and S, fantastic car, sound bothered me. So I'm waiting.
Next update will be for mid cycle refresh of 718 and hope Porsche fixes exhaust note
If not will wait for new platform in 2020/21 that I am sure will be the one that I fall completely in love with again,
So I live with my poor 987.2.
Poor me....

·
Registered
214 Posts
[/QUOTE]

The 987 Boxster Spyder is a steal right now in the US. At circa $30K, they are a bargain and future collectors item.[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha, if you find one at $30K please be sure to PM me with the good news. You're wayyyy off.

OP: I've got a 2007 Boxster S and a 2015 Cayman GTS. Different cars altogether. Boxster is much more old school, in a good way, than the 981. It's like a proper sports car, great steering, lively feedback from the wheel. The CGTS is quicker and more "modern". No doubt it would be faster on a racetrack, but not by that much. Surprising to me since I got the Boxster mostly to trash around on a track, and prices for them are low, but I pretty much like the feel of the thing better than the CGTS. OTOH, the GTS is gorgeous, more precise and better screwed together. The interior of a 981 is several deltas more luxurious.

So there you have it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The size difference between the 987 and 981 are small, unless you consider a 1/2" to be substantial. K ManS did a thorough size analysis of both cars: http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/82702-tale-tape-does-981-measure-up-987-a.html
That's why you need to test dive. The 981 isn't a bigger car but it drives like a bigger car (I think its the bigger wheels, longer wheelbase, taller doors, deeper in the vault seating position???) Looking at the size of a car in inches tells you little as to whether it drives like a big car or a small car. Funny I know.

Some people are more sensitive to weight and feel... I drive around with a quarter tank of gas when I know I'll be aggressively taking my favorite curvy back-road. I'll hit the gas station twice rather then carry the extra weight over the front tires. Everyone has different ways to enjoy a sports car, for me I like to consider more than just HP and lap times when considering trading a car for a newer model.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
That's why you need to test dive. The 981 isn't a bigger car but it drives like a bigger car (I think its the bigger wheels, longer wheelbase, taller doors, deeper in the vault seating position???) Looking at the size of a car in inches tells you little as to whether it drives like a big car or a small car. Funny I know.

Some people are more sensitive to weight and feel... I drive around with a quarter tank of gas when I know I'll be aggressively taking my favorite curvy back-road. I'll hit the gas station twice rather then carry the extra weight over the front tires. Everyone has different ways to enjoy a sports car, for me I like to consider more than just HP and lap times when considering trading a car for a newer model.
As to whether or not the 981 drives like a bigger car is a subjective judgement, since the physical dimensions of both cars are nearly identical. I agree with the test drive recommendation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am fighting with the same dilemma. I own a 2009 Boxster PDK for 2 years and a half and daily driving it ever since but lately decided to get a 981 just because of the looks, newer technology and scared that mine will get some major services(it only has 45k miles thos). It's also a matter of money as my 2009 is paid off and don;t know if it's really worth it to get into a loan again. Haven't test drive the 981 yet but I'll do soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.