Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got a 2014 manual Boxster, but due to some issues with my left knee using the clutch (which i didnt have on my radar!!) I probably have to sell the car and go for a PDK. Trading in back to the dealership or selling it to carmax, I will loose big chunk of my money (tax/licnse and additional 10-15%). I am thinking of selling it to a private party, although have some concern in regards of headache with many non serious people who just want to drive a Porsche and don't intend to buy. What are your thoughts and experiences with selling your car to private or/and selling it back to the Porsche dealer? thanks for sharing

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi,

I just got a 2014 manual Boxster, but due to some issues with my left knee using the clutch (which i didnt have on my radar!!) I probably have to sell the car and go for a PDK. Trading in back to the dealership or selling it to carmax, I will loose big chunk of my money (tax/licnse and additional 10-15%). I am thinking of selling it to a private party, although have some concern in regards of headache with many non serious people who just want to drive a Porsche and don't intend to buy. What are your thoughts and experiences with selling your car to private or/and selling it back to the Porsche dealer? thanks for sharing

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Personally, i would try and reach some form of agreement with the dealer you purchased the car from. You are most likely to lose a bit of money with this approach but hopefully you can minimize the monetary loss. My view is the dealer profited on the original sale to you, they will profit if you buy another car from them and finally they’ll profit after reselling your original car - hopefully they have a PDK car you can “trade for “ to make the deal palatable for them.

If they aren’t reasonable walk away and and be done with them and look at another dealer.

I don’t like to sell any cars privately as it’s such a hassle. Taking phone calls, emails, stupid questions, making appointments, people don’t show, don’t have the money etc.. Also, I don’t want anyone driving my car I’d be a nervous wreck wondering if they were going to do a “ money shift “.

Again, sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope you find a reasonable solution.

·
Registered
108 Posts
companies like carmax thrive on the headache you mention. That is the cost of peace of mind. I have never sold a car private party, craigslist that type of stuff but thousand's who don't mind the headache have done with good bad and horrible experiences. Some tips to lessen the headache.1) add an addendum to your sale posting like "Approved car loan proof required before test drive" 2) Join pca and post on cca classifieds. - Only Porsche owners or people like me who want to me P owners there.. ( Cayman in my case)3) Talk to dealers who are willing "consign" your car. basically they sell for you typically for a 10% commission. 4) Trade in at a P dealer. Winter time..slow sales and everyone in the Xmas spirit.. you may get a fair deal..happy holidays

·
Registered
832 Posts
Several years back I sold my 2007 987.1 CS on Auto Trader. If I remember correctly it went for around $35K. Yes, I did have several people show up to drive the thing. I always met them at a public place never at my house. I showed them around the car a spoke to it's options, all the while getting to know the potential buyer. When "I" was satisfied I would offer a test drive. I would check there drivers license and photograph it. No one abuses the car while your sitting in it. In fact most baby it. Interesting is the fact that the eventual buyer did not test drive the car on his first visit. He was in town on business and gave me a call. We met at a Costco parking lot where he examined and I explained the car. He was around my age, mid 50, and we got along well. Several weeks later he called and we closed the price on the phone. He flew down, took the car for a test drive and then went to my bank. There he transferred the money from his bank to mine. I drove him to LAX to drop off his rental car and then back to my house. He took off from there, Idaho if memory serves. Bottom line is, it all went well. Good Luck!

·
Registered
607 Posts
You will almost certainly need to sell privately to maximize your profit. Carmax offered me about half the price I eventually sold my old SUV for. They are a business and have to make a profit like any other business that intends to stay in business. There is a Cayman Club on FB, I see people offering their cars for sale there. Although I am not a member of the local PCA at this time, I believe that might be a good place to find some interest in your car.

Reactions: black987

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Unless it's not worth much, I would sell mine on consignment. I know a dealer here in Central FL who sells and trades a lot of used Porsches, and also sells a few cars of other brands. Not long ago they sold my low mileage 981 CS garage queen on consignment for near retail, and only charged me $1500. They said at the time their consignment fee is the same, regardless of the value of the car. Porsche maintenance was up to date, and I got a fresh CPM print out showing no alarms and no over-revs. All I had to do was get it detailed and park it in their warehouse showroom. He posted it on the net on his usual sites, over the weekend. On Tuesday he had a deposit. On Friday the out-of-town buyer showed up and purchased the car. All I had to do was show up with the title, sign, and get my check which was drawn on the dealer's account. I got a check for a price that made me happy, with no aggravation or worries. It doesn't get any easier that that to get a good price for a nice Porsche.
I have a retired buddy up in Chicagoland who also sells Porsches for owners. He knows a lot of PCA guys in the Midwest, and knows how to sell Porsches.
I'd be look at consignment, if trying to sell mine. I'm not going thru all the aggravation of wedding out PITA buyers and joyriders. For me, it needs to be a pleasant, carefree and financially agreeable transaction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think I'm the lucky one here. I've bought and sold primarily through Autotrader - bought my first Boxster S, sold that car, and sold my Cayman S there. All three involved out of state trips, PPI's and zero hassles - in fact, all were bought or sold within a week. The easiest part is that you can be as blunt as you want to prior to the test drive or sale. "Most" (note that word is in quotes) P-Car people are relatively knowledgeable, know what questions to ask, know what they are looking for, and respect your time. If something doesn't feel / look / sound right, just tell them it is sold or that you changed your mind and are keeping the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all for your answers, and sharing your experiences. I am still hoping to find an agreement with one of the Porsche dealers here in the area to swap it to a PDK but if it does not work private party is pretty much the only way to go, especially because only the private buyer can benefit from the remaining certified per-owned warranty, which increases the value of the car for them vs to dealer. I gave carmax a last chance but as usual they tried to rip me off, they offered me one week after I purchased the car, 25% less!!
Thank you again for all your helpful answers, I will apply your tips and experiences when I sell the car.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Trade at Porsche dealer is best, as your CPO does not cost the dealer anything, and you save on sales tax (in most states). Consignment sale is second best in my book, because buyer will get the CPO warranty, but use a consignment dealer who sells a lot of Porsches. Neither of these have any hassles. Sale to or trade with a non-Porsche dealer loses the benefit of the CPO. Personal sale has the most hassles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trade at Porsche dealer is best, as your CPO does not cost the dealer anything, and you save on sales tax (in most states). Consignment sale is second best in my book, because buyer will get the CPO warranty, but use a consignment dealer who sells a lot of Porsches. Neither of these have any hassles. Sale to or trade with a non-Porsche dealer loses the benefit of the CPO. Personal sale has the most hassles.
Unfortunately in the beautiful state of California the tax is gone and you cant get any Tax reimbursement when you trade your car in. I am still trying it through a Porsche dealer will see what solution we can find together.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think what PCA1983 might be alluding to is you only pay sales tax on the difference between the car you buy and the car you trade in. If you sell your car privately and then buy a different car, you'll pay sales tax on the full amt of the car you buy. We get the 'pay the difference' deal here in the Tax Me state of Neb, so you have to calculate when it's more advantageous to trade vs sell.

I am a Wheeler Dealer hobbyist and I've sold many Porsches and Audis. 95% of them sell via Craigslist. It can be a hassle at times, but it works. You might also try PCA.org. Make sure the car is clean, then take lots of pics in a sunny area. CL lets you incl 24 pics, so take pics of: the front, back, side, frunk, trunk, the driver's side bolster, passenger seat, the dash, the instrument cluster with the engine running (to prove no CELs), the console stack, ea wheel to show curb rash, the owner's manuals, both keys, and anything else that will enhance a sale. Set the price a little higher than you want so you have room to deal.

Write up a comprehensive description. Leave out the marketing brochure stuff about it being Porsche's 2 seater sports car with 320hp and 300 lb/ft of torque. Focus on the options, colors, maintenance, and condition. Put a statement in stating: 'I do not need help selling this car' and 'I do not accept PayPal'. To get maximum exposure, list your CL ad Sat morning, then renew it on Wed. Keep it current so the casual reader will find it.

Scammers - part of dealing with CL, but there are some things to watch out for. Someone who wants to buy after 2 texts and doesn't dicker on price is probably a scammer. They want to pay by PayPal. It is a scam because they either want to trick you into giving them the car w/o paying or they're phishing for your personal info. Always be cautious of any contact. You don't have to be rude, just be careful. There have been times when I thought someone was fake and they turned out to be a real customer. Someone may ask "is your car still avail?" vs something specific like "is your Cayman still for sale?" Or another email scam is "I've been trying to contact you via CL email and you haven't been answering, please contact my email directly". Total scam. Unfortunately, there are plenty of angles they throw at you, so be careful. Once you get past the riff-raff, dealing with real customers is more enjoyable.

Bank-to-bank wire transfer is the safest way to transact business. Or if the buyer has a branch of his / her bank close by, go with them to the branch and watch them withdraw a cashier's check. Any other means of payment is potentially a fraud.

If someone from out of state calls, be accommodating: offer to pick them up at the airport or take your car somewhere for a PPI (at their expense). Go the extra mile to make the sale. Have several options available for potential PPI locations and their costs. Understand what ea covers in their PPI, as it can vary greatly.

Selling your car involves some work. Some don't want to go to the effort, but it can be worth it if you do the little things to make the sale.

Consigning your car is easy, but you lose control of your asset. How do you know how it's being treated at the dealer? You'll most likely be responsible for any damage that might occur. I don't have that much trust.

Reactions: Closertotruth

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think what PCA1983 might be alluding to is you only pay sales tax on the difference between the car you buy and the car you trade in. If you sell your car privately and then buy a different car, you'll pay sales tax on the full amt of the car you buy. We get the 'pay the difference' deal here in the Tax Me state of Neb, so you have to calculate when it's more advantageous to trade vs sell.

I am a Wheeler Dealer hobbyist and I've sold many Porsches and Audis. 95% of them sell via Craigslist. It can be a hassle at times, but it works. You might also try PCA.org. Make sure the car is clean, then take lots of pics in a sunny area. CL lets you incl 24 pics, so take pics of: the front, back, side, frunk, trunk, the driver's side bolster, passenger seat, the dash, the instrument cluster with the engine running (to prove no CELs), the console stack, ea wheel to show curb rash, the owner's manuals, both keys, and anything else that will enhance a sale. Set the price a little higher than you want so you have room to deal.

Write up a comprehensive description. Leave out the marketing brochure stuff about it being Porsche's 2 seater sports car with 320hp and 300 lb/ft of torque. Focus on the options, colors, maintenance, and condition. Put a statement in stating: 'I do not need help selling this car' and 'I do not accept PayPal'. To get maximum exposure, list your CL ad Sat morning, then renew it on Wed. Keep it current so the casual reader will find it.

Scammers - part of dealing with CL, but there are some things to watch out for. Someone who wants to buy after 2 texts and doesn't dicker on price is probably a scammer. They want to pay by PayPal. It is a scam because they either want to trick you into giving them the car w/o paying or they're phishing for your personal info. Always be cautious of any contact. You don't have to be rude, just be careful. There have been times when I thought someone was fake and they turned out to be a real customer. Someone may ask "is your car still avail?" vs something specific like "is your Cayman still for sale?" Or another email scam is "I've been trying to contact you via CL email and you haven't been answering, please contact my email directly". Total scam. Unfortunately, there are plenty of angles they throw at you, so be careful. Once you get past the riff-raff, dealing with real customers is more enjoyable.

Bank-to-bank wire transfer is the safest way to transact business. Or if the buyer has a branch of his / her bank close by, go with them to the branch and watch them withdraw a cashier's check. Any other means of payment is potentially a fraud.

If someone from out of state calls, be accommodating: offer to pick them up at the airport or take your car somewhere for a PPI (at their expense). Go the extra mile to make the sale. Have several options available for potential PPI locations and their costs. Understand what ea covers in their PPI, as it can vary greatly.

Selling your car involves some work. Some don't want to go to the effort, but it can be worth it if you do the little things to make the sale.

Consigning your car is easy, but you lose control of your asset. How do you know how it's being treated at the dealer? You'll most likely be responsible for any damage that might occur. I don't have that much trust.
Wow, really great stuff, thank you so much husker!

Regarding the sales tax: In California when you trade in a car and buy another car in the same transaction, you have to pay the full tax on the newly purchased car! What you are referring to works only in few states.

Otherwise appreciate all your great tips, didn't know most of the points.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wanted to give some update:

Sold the car in the meantime to a dealer. It was quite piece of work. Most of the dealers tried to rip me of, CarMax was the worst, they offered me only 28k, while some offered me 29 or 29.5. Finally found a dealer which gave me 32k for the car. Even though I have lost 4k on this deal, but at the end of the day it was just 700 below what the price I had paid for the car ( the rest of the loss was tax and license ). When I would had sold it private I would have probably made 2-4k more, but it would have taken me much longer and I would have had all the hassle with all the joyriders. Sometimes I regret that I didn't try it at least for couple of days on the PCA site, as mentioned the car was in pristine condition and had still 23 month of cpo warranty. Anyway, the car is gone now, I have lost 4k and gained lots of experience to deal with car dealerships selling cars. BTW, the dealer put the car on his lot and sold it within 2 weeks with 2.5k profit!!!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
FWIW, I sold my 2011 Carrera GTS in 4 days this past April. Most of the interest (and the eventual buyer) came from Rennlist. No hassle, no joyrides or test drives of any sort. Had 6 parties from all around North America seriously interested, and sold it to the first person who had contacted me with an offer (a dentist in Toronto; 2500 km from me) for my asking price. I got $21,000 Canadian more selling it privately than the dealer offered me.

I don't find selling cars any trouble at all. It was admittedly a very nice GTS (6-speed with factory Aerokit Cup), and was well priced with a fully documented service history. A couple of people commented that it was one of the most detailed ads they had seen on Rennlist...I detailed every service the car had ever had (with every receipt down to crush washers and wiper blade inserts in a binder) and posted about 15 high-res photos. It's not rocket science...

Reactions: JohnnyQuest

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is great, congratulations on the great selling experience! The more I think about it, the more I think I should have sold it private. The car had a perfect service history, had just gone through the CPO service, brand new tires and looked like brand new. The first owner had babied the car like crazy and if I didnt have the issues with the clutch and my knee I would have never sold it.
My main concern selling it private was lack of time and no desire dealing with strange people. On the other hand you have to consider that a 35k car attracts a completely different target group than a 80-100k car. What still bothers me and not understandable, is the big discrepancy between the private market and the price the dealers pay one. The dealership I sold the car to, had to do nothing, not even washing the car, the car was fully detailed. They just spend couple dollars to advertise the car and put it on their lot for 2 weeks. They even didn't have any financing cost, they paid me first as the car was sold (another annoying fact). They paid me 4k above carmax and still made 2.5k profit even though they had priced it way below (dealer)market value.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've sold 7 vehicles (plus many, many other things) on ebay: two Alfas, one BMW, one Subaru, two Honda Motorcycles, and one Yamaha motorcycle all through ebay. (I just sold a radar detector and some camera lenses last week.) I've never had a problem. I love ebay. For the last vehicle I sold (Subaru), the guy flew up from FL, I picked him up at the airport, we did the paperwork, and he flew home. Great guy. For the last Alfa I sold, the new buyer continues to email me every couple of years to say how much he still loves the car. Another great guy. As long as you have all the paperwork, disclose absolutely everything, and make sure the buyer has a 100% positive rating, you have little to lose. I'd highly recommend it.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have purchased and sold many cars through Craigslist. Certain types of cars attract different kind of people. The most difficult transaction I had was selling a 2007 Toyoto Tundra truck. I was asking for slightly below bluebook. For some reason I kept attracting a lot of contractors. A lot of them were tire kickers hoping to land a unrealistic deal. I wasn't in need of money so I held out. Eventually I ended up selling it to a fireman at my asking price. I sold my 2013 BS through Craigslist a year ago. Yes, there were some people who made some unrealistic offers. It only takes one to make the transaction. I recently purchased a 2015 Cayman through Craigslist as well. I had been quite lucky so far.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Just sold my 2014 981 CS on eBay. Buyer was a dealership located in Seattle (I’m in LA). Fairly painless procedure, the buyer took care of everything including sending a flatbed over to pick up the car. I was originally going to trade in the car but my local dealer lowballed the trade-in value. Selling on eBay got me $7000 more than what my dealership was offering.

Took about a month. In that time I also listed on Craigslist but all the responses I got were from scammers or people who weren’t serious about buying. I did have 2 people come over to my home to check out the car. I also let them test drive the car but I’ll be honest, I was nervous - I carried a Glock 26 handgun in an IWB holster both times.

Reactions: algiorda

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just sold my 2014 981 CS on eBay. Buyer was a dealership located in Seattle (I’m in LA). Fairly painless procedure, the buyer took care of everything including sending a flatbed over to pick up the car. I was originally going to trade in the car but my local dealer lowballed the trade-in value. Selling on eBay got me $7000 more than what my dealership was offering.

Took about a month. In that time I also listed on Craigslist but all the responses I got were from scammers or people who weren’t serious about buying. I did have 2 people come over to my home to check out the car. I also let them test drive the car but I’ll be honest, I was nervous - I carried a Glock 26 handgun in an IWB holster both times.
What were the ebay charges? Is it a single price or % of sale price? Thx for the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.