Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted in 2013 981 not starting no PCM

We changed the battery. Car starts fine, but throws at least the following errors

Soft Top Sensor
Steering Limited
Electronic failure

All marked that it is ok to drive with, the rear spoiler pops up, and as soon as you touch the steering wheel, the alarm goes off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I would check your owners manual, or Google the process for resetting your steering wheel angle end points after a battery change, and see if that clears the other errors you’re having as well

The window and steering wheel endpoints can be lost during a battery change, but are simple to reset afterward

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check your owners manual, or Google the process for resetting your steering wheel angle end points after a battery change, and see if that clears the other errors you’re having as well

The window and steering wheel endpoints can be lost during a battery change but are simple to reset afterward
Thank You - need a PIWIS seems to do this. so I will drive the car with the alarm going to the dealer .. should be a fun 1 hour drive ;)

OR, I will look for a fuse to pull.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
Just go drive it - the PSM will learn all it needs to know and that error will go away. As far as the alarm going off - I assume you've locked and unlocked the car using the button on the key a few times?

If it's like the 987 alarm, the horn for it is located next to the battery and it easily accessible by removing the frunk plastic panels over the battery area. You could unplug it. Since the car starts - I assume the immobilizer is OK.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just go drive it - the PSM will learn all it needs to know and that error will go away. As far as the alarm going off - I assume you've locked and unlocked the car using the button on the key a few times?

If it's like the 987 alarm, the horn for it is located next to the battery and it easily accessible by removing the frunk plastic panels over the battery area. You could unplug it. Since the car starts - I assume the immobilizer is OK.
Yes, both keys, ever tried some old advice of using the physical key in the door and press unlock and lock together.

I will look to pull the wire, I did drive it 1/4 - 1/2 mile (Emarising while the car is honking), and it did seem to settle down abit. I will try tomorrow after the neighbors are awake.
Thank You.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Thank You - need a PIWIS seems to do this. so I will drive the car with the alarm going to the dealer .. should be a fun 1 hour drive ;)

OR, I will look for a fuse to pull.
Steering angle reset on a Porsche does not require a PIWIS. It’s common to have to reset this after a battery swap so the user can do it.

Its a combination of turning the ignition switch on and off a set number of times and then moving the wheel side to side, however I don’t recall the process exactly and why I recommended doing a Google search to see the exact process

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steering angle reset on a Porsche does not require a PIWIS. It’s common to have to reset this after a battery swap so the user can do it.

Its a combination of turning the ignition switch on and off a set number of times and then moving the wheel side to side, however I don’t recall the process exactly and why I recommended doing a Google search to see the exact process
I trust your googling is better than mine. I have been proven unable to find the simple things before, but every hit talks about the PIWIS or a "Durametric"

BUT

I need to take it in to reset all the other errors anyways....

if you ever find it, it would be good to post.

cheers.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
The steering angle sensor and PSM sensors (the wheel speed sensors basically - that are needed for ABS) on my 987 calibrate themselves before I get to the end of my driveway (about 50') in reverse. I can't imagine the 981 being any different or more difficult. There is no need to turn the wheel or anything else, no dead chicken is required and no chants in the garage..

Just drive it.

Reactions: kcossabo

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I trust your googling is better than mine. I have been proven unable to find the simple things before, but every hit talks about the PIWIS or a "Durametric"

BUT

I need to take it in to reset all the other errors anyways....

if you ever find it, it would be good to post.

cheers.
I found this in the Porsche workshop manual, and made a snippet image for you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Luckily I didn't get any errors of any kind when I swapped my battery out either. Its seems to be a crapshoot roll of the dice on whether one does or doesnt get post change errors, no matter if using the exact same process as the others that didn't?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts