Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time reader of this great site and prior caymanclub

Bought a 06 a few months ago with only 5K miles (found it here in the classifieds) - great car, use it for weekend pleasure driving (no tracking or DEs in the short term). I did make the previous owner do an oil change since the car was 3yrs old.

3 things came up during my first dealer visit (to fix the rear trunk noise):

Yes, I read the maintenance schedule booklet for the every 2yr of services(minor/major) and understand it's mileage or time period whichever comes up first, but my car has such low mileage (<7K now) and it's not driven hard

1) Do I really need to pay $200 for a brake fluid change at 7K miles eventhough the car is 3.5 yrs old and the brakes will probably never see or be near their limits? I say no right now and maybe do it in 8 months when the car is 4yrs old and probably have 12K miles

2) Dealer said I should have the 20K (minor) service since the car is 3.5 yrs old. I checked what all is done for 20K miles and I don't see paying $300 for checks one can DIY. I'll reconsider doing the 20K service at year 4 and 12K miles

3) Then the extended warranty question came up and how I should by it now and not wait til the last minute cause it'll cost more.
(my car is modded with PSS9s, cat back, SRP intake/plenum and 4.1 flash)
Dealer said that an ext warranty insurance inspector checks the car first and if any mods to intake, flash or exhaust are noted, it's flagged and related service won't be covered in the future.
That's BS and I need to talk to the 2 other dealers in my area and see what their take is on modded caymans and extended warranties.

I welcome any comments on my recent dealer experience

:thanks: and :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Yes, I read the maintenance schedule booklet for the every 2yr of services(minor/major) and understand it's mileage or time period whichever comes up first, but my car has such low mileage (<7K now) and it's not driven hard

1) Do I really need to pay $200 for a brake fluid change at 7K miles even though the car is 3.5 yrs old and the brakes will probably never see or be near their limits? I say no right now and maybe do it in 8 months when the car is 4yrs old and probably have 12K miles

Probably not if you aren't going to track the car but the built up of water in the brake system is time related especially when the car isn't used much and doesn't really heat up to kill off some or that.

2) Dealer said I should have the 20K (minor) service since the car is 3.5 yrs old. I checked what all is done for 20K miles and I don't see paying $300 for checks one can DIY. I'll reconsider doing the 20K service at year 4 and 12K miles

I would agree with you here.

3) Then the extended warranty question came up and how I should by it now and not wait till the last minute cause it'll cost more.
(my car is modded with PSS9s, cat back, SRP intake/plenum and 4.1 flash)
Dealer said that an ext warranty insurance inspector checks the car first and if any mods to intake, flash or exhaust are noted, it's flagged and related service won't be covered in the future.
That's BS and I need to talk to the 2 other dealers in my area and see what their take is on modded caymans and extended warranties.

Be very very careful here. 1) these warranty companies go out of business frequently. I lost $2400 on one I purchased for my Boxster years back. 2) All warranties whether factory CPO or outside companies are a pain with regard to what they won't cover. They send more time declining coverage than fixing the car. I've been thru it.
see my comment inserted above.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Do the brake flush.

Do the first service yourself if you do not plan to purchase an extended warranty.

If you can get a Porsche CPO I think it is worth it. I've come out ahead on 2 cars with CPO and was able to sell both a bit easier with one year remaining on the CPO.

Unless you have a mod friendly dealer I'd put it back to stock for an inspection. Then it is up to you on how you feel about skirting around warranty issues. My opinion is that if I modify something and it can be tied to a mechanical issue then it's mine and mine alone to deal with. For instance I put a cat back exhaust on and I don't plan to have any issues. If I add a flash and a plenum then I would expect to have possible issues with PCNA should I have an engine related problem.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a matter of interest what did the dealer do to fix your rear trunk noise?
My CS has anoying rattle in the back area and I cant' figure out where it's coming from. I have removed the obvious items, Luggage cover and tail light covers but it made no difference. Have also wedged pieces of cloth over strut covers but that didn't help either!

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought a CPO car. Had I not I would NOT purchase a warranty.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Chris 88,
Do a search. I have seen this repair covered on other threads.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it sucks moisture out of the air. In this case, the moisture is caused by the condensation that collects in the air space in the system. And water will corrode stuff over time. The longer the brake fluid is in the system, the more water, and the more corrosion.

For best braking, and system longevity - spelled lower cost of repairs, the fluid should be replaced in all cars every two years, or the recommended mileage interval. It isn't too challenging to do the flush on your own. But, it should be done.

Regarding warranty, a dealership isn't likely to provide a CPO, if you don't buy the car from them.

A financially sound company that has extended warranties, that would cover your car can be purchased through a dealership.

Fidelity Warranty Services.

I purchased one from them about a year ago. It was for 5 years and 60,000 miles. So, in my case, I have 4 more years and about 50,000 miles remaining of the factory coverage, in essence. And it is fully transferable (for $75) should I sell my car.

In addition, it is prorated. I can cancel at anytime, and get a pro rated amount of my money back.

Fidelity Warranty Services - Home Page

I have the platinum coverage.

I purchased my car from Michael Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek, CA. They treat the coverage just like the factory one. If you have a problem, they fix the car, submit the claim and get paid directly.

The only difference is that you don't call 1-800-Porsche any longer.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
For best braking, and system longevity - spelled lower cost of repairs, the fluid should be replaced in all cars every two years, or the recommended mileage interval. It isn't too challenging to do the flush on your own. But, it should be done.
Agreed, not just with brake fluid, but with other parts. This topic comes up from time to time in other car forums where just because the car isn't driven often the owner feels certain items/parts can last the extra distance. This may be true in some circumstances, but chronological time is also the bases of many replacement parts.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Fluids every 2 years?

I've had my CS for 2 years this month, but only put 13k miles on her. Is it still recommended?

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
samwY the brake fluid every two years. How much will it cost you if the car fails to stop? The coolant says 'lifetime' ; I have been told every 5 to 6 years in a Porsche with Porsche fluid. Oil I would do it every two years or 10,000 miles for a street driven car. I change mine every 4 to 5K miles, but I also track my car. If your battery is the open type check/add battery fluid every year after the first 2 years. The filters are very dependent on how dusty your envyroment is. For fairly clean enviroments the manufacturers recommendation, but I do it at half the interval since it can be dusty.

One other thing that most people forget is cleaning the front radiators, they get pretty dirty over time. Belts and hoses every time you replace the coolant in a Porsche. How expensive is a breakdown 50 to 100 miles a way from home, besides all the time and hastle?

This is by no means a comprehensive schedule, your owners manual has more info. YMMV. Just one more opinion thrown in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts