Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys -

This is my first Porsche, as I'm coming from a 2013 Shelby GT500. This season was my 2nd doing HPDE events (about 20 first season and 17 this season), mostly with PCA in the N.E (Watkins/Pocono/LRP/NJMP), now running in white. Jumping from a Shelby into the Cayman S was a bit of a shock but after 2 days @ Thunderbolt, I started to really love the car and how much easier it was to drive. I've set up the car with the following:

• SRF
  • Pagid Yellow
  • X73 Rear Sway
  • FVD Exhaust

Car comes with PASM and PTV with 20" rims. Now, I don't want to transform her into a full race car, but something i can do a bunch of events every year and not really compromise driving on the street. I was thinking of the following:

• 19" rims (suggestions would be great. Don't need anything fancy as these rims would be for track use only. OZ's would be my best guess?)
  • Toyo RA1? I used Super Sports on the GT500 and loved them. I'm not a fan of the PZero's that came with the Cayman.
  • Maybe an IPD 82mm Plenum with GT3 TB? Think it's worth it?

Bray-Krause does not make a harness bar for the 981, but I'm loaning them my car this winter, so that they can try and manufacture one, fingers crossed. I'll be installing Schroth ASM harnesses if they can create the bar.

Any other suggestions would be great as I'm a noob within the Porsche racing community.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
Hi guys -

This is my first Porsche, as I'm coming from a 2013 Shelby GT500. This season was my 2nd doing HPDE events (about 20 first season and 17 this season), mostly with PCA in the N.E (Watkins/Pocono/LRP/NJMP), now running in white. Jumping from a Shelby into the Cayman S was a bit of a shock but after 2 days @ Thunderbolt, I started to really love the car and how much easier it was to drive. I've set up the car with the following:

• SRF
  • Pagid Yellow
  • X73 Rear Sway
  • FVD Exhaust

Car comes with PASM and PTV with 20" rims. Now, I don't want to transform her into a full race car, but something i can do a bunch of events every year and not really compromise driving on the street. I was thinking of the following:

• 19" rims (suggestions would be great. Don't need anything fancy as these rims would be for track use only. OZ's would be my best guess?)
  • Toyo RA1? I used Super Sports on the GT500 and loved them. I'm not a fan of the PZero's that came with the Cayman.
  • Maybe an IPD 82mm Plenum with GT3 TB? Think it's worth it?

Bray-Krause does not make a harness bar for the 981, but I'm loaning them my car this winter, so that they can try and manufacture one, fingers crossed. I'll be installing Schroth ASM harnesses if they can create the bar.

Any other suggestions would be great as I'm a noob within the Porsche racing community.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Consider 18" rims (like OZ Alleggerita from tire rack) to give yourself more tire choices. I use Nitto NT-01s.
<flame suit on> In my opinion, plenum and throttle body are not worth the investment until ECU tune becomes available. There are a couple of good threads here with dyno data. I swapped to K&N air filters for a little extra flow.
Headers are a good addition for both street and track if you don't already have them with your FVD system.
Adjustable lower control arms on front will provide more camber for track but will hurt tire wear on street.
I did a lot of mods on my former 987 and as you suggested, there is definitely a point where you have to compromise street driveability to make gains on track.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Consider 18" rims (like OZ Alleggerita from tire rack) to give yourself more tire choices. I use Nitto NT-01s.
<flame suit on> In my opinion, plenum and throttle body are not worth the investment until ECU tune becomes available. There are a couple of good threads here with dyno data. I swapped to K&N air filters for a little extra flow.
Headers are a good addition for both street and track if you don't already have them with your FVD system.
Adjustable lower control arms on front will provide more camber for track but will hurt tire wear on street.
I did a lot of mods on my former 987 and as you suggested, there is definitely a point where you have to compromise street driveability to make gains on track.
Thanks for the info. I was informed that the 981 isn't set up for 18" but rather 19" or 20", so I'll have to do more research. I will be adding the FVD headers over the winter, excited about that. As for the air filters, I recently installed BMC. Thanks for the heads up on the Plenum/TB!

·
Registered
268 Posts
It also depends on if you're going for any kind of class championship. If you're shooting for a stock class, it's pretty limiting…. but it's also freeing…. if you don't need it to win your class….why spend the money?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It also depends on if you're going for any kind of class championship. If you're shooting for a stock class, it's pretty limiting…. but it's also freeing…. if you don't need it to win your class….why spend the money?
I hear you. I'm going for fun, no championship. I don't want to mess up the stock 20" Platinum Satin wheels, as well as my street tires. Brakes seemed a no-brainer and I loved the sound of the FVD vs stock exhaust. Headers for a little bit more HP and sound. I think I'm going to pass on a TB. Harnesses because I liked being strapped in, not utilizing energy trying to keep myself in the seat. I was getting thrown around in the Shelby and it was exhausting. Harnesses on that car helped quite a bit (and I felt safer with a HANS).

·
Registered
727 Posts
I see you put the x73 rear bar on the car. Was thinking of doing the same thing, but my service advisor cautioned me that using only the rear might imbalance the car. Was wondering your opinions on how the car handles at the track and on the street with only a new rear bar. Is there too much oversteer and if so is it easily catchable? That bar is 36% stiffer than the normal PASM bar which is already 12% stiffer than stock.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 12.21.54 AM.png

Schnell now has a rear harness bar for the car too.

·
Vendor
707 Posts
Welcome to BGB Motorsports
Speak with John Tecce at BGB Motorsports in Ormond Beach Florida. He has everything you need.
ElusiveDH - I don't even recognize your username and you are singing the high praises of BGB! Thanks!

Paul,

Since no one has responded I will raise my hand and ask if you would like help. I can source you every single thing for this car from harness bars, seats and belts to suspension to Cargraphic exhaust. As you may or may not know, we do more than just motor swaps. We are positioning ourselves to be the 1-stop shop for all things 981 and 987, not just 997. We are even starting to offer an ECU upgrade for 981S customers but you won't get me to extrapolate on that in a public forum! ;)

You don't have to give your car to Brey Krause for a harness bar as we offer them and have sold over a dozen so far! It is more of a "roll hoop" design but for safety purposes I call it a harness bar.

I live and die by the Pagid pads, SRF fluid and we are a dealer for Cargraphic which, having used FVD and Cargraphic in racing, I feel are comparable in every single way but the complete Cargraphic product is more refined. I just showed a set to Sugu from Orlando who dropped off his 2014 for Bilsteins and he might stay for some Cargraphic exhaust and an ECU bump. If you would like to call the shop and speak further, we can.

John

BGB Motorsports

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ElusiveDH - I don't even recognize your username and you are singing the high praises of BGB! Thanks!

Paul,

Since no one has responded I will raise my hand and ask if you would like help. I can source you every single thing for this car from harness bars, seats and belts to suspension to Cargraphic exhaust. As you may or may not know, we do more than just motor swaps. We are positioning ourselves to be the 1-stop shop for all things 981 and 987, not just 997. We are even starting to offer an ECU upgrade for 981S customers but you won't get me to extrapolate on that in a public forum! ;)

You don't have to give your car to Brey Krause for a harness bar as we offer them and have sold over a dozen so far! It is more of a "roll hoop" design but for safety purposes I call it a harness bar.

I live and die by the Pagid pads, SRF fluid and we are a dealer for Cargraphic which, having used FVD and Cargraphic in racing, I feel are comparable in every single way but the complete Cargraphic product is more refined. I just showed a set to Sugu from Orlando who dropped off his 2014 for Bilsteins and he might stay for some Cargraphic exhaust and an ECU bump. If you would like to call the shop and speak further, we can.

John

BGB Motorsports

Hey John -

Thanks so much for taking the time out to talk and informing me on what to do with the 981. Looking forward to putting in the GT3 front bar.

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
I see you put the x73 rear bar on the car. Was thinking of doing the same thing, but my service advisor cautioned me that using only the rear might imbalance the car. Was wondering your opinions on how the car handles at the track and on the street with only a new rear bar. Is there too much oversteer and if so is it easily catchable? That bar is 36% stiffer than the normal PASM bar which is already 12% stiffer than stock.
I installed the X73 rear bar and kept the PASM front bar. After a few thousand street miles and 4 track days, I can say that the X73 rear bar with PASM dampers does create a tendency for over-steer in a good way. I like the way it feels on track with a sharper turn-in and little bit of over-steer. On the street the only time I notice a difference is if I intentionally try to drift the rear in which case it cuts loose easier and PSM kicks in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was informed that the 981 isn't set up for 18" but rather 19" or 20", so I'll have to do more research. I will be adding the FVD headers over the winter, excited about that. As for the air filters, I recently installed BMC. Thanks for the heads up on the Plenum/TB!
Can you elaborate on "981 isn't set-up for 18" wheels"? What sort of 'set-up' are we referring too?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I think 18s will work fine and give you more tire options.

·
Registered
346 Posts
John
John, that's because I'm elusive:naughty:. Actually, I have been a reading about your 987 and 981 upgrade path over the last few years here, and on Rennlist. I appreciate your work ethic and striving for customer satisfaction to make everything right. It's not easy trying to please people. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think 18s will work fine and give you more tire options.
I agree 100%. I purchased CCW 18" C-10 monoblocks for my track tires. I use the Nitto NT-01 tires, stock suspension and track alignment with max camber. The car is lower and the rolling diameter is slightly less as well. I was quite pleased with the results.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can confirm that 18" wheels are fine on 981; see my profile pic.
I thought so. I was just curious what set up he was concerned with. I've got a set of 18" O.Z. Alleggeritas w/ Hankook R-S3 rubber slated for delivery in December on order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts